UKBouldering.com

Conies Dale Access (Read 7554 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 04:44:24 pm
EDIT: <The RAD has now been updated, and after discussions with Henry, who's familiar with the route in via Oxlow Rake, this has been recommended. It has the benefits of bypassing the landowner's farm, gaining CROW wholly via public footpaths, not requiring any wall hopping, and being only fractionally longer than the previous approach. >

The current situation with regards to the landowner remains unchanged - he is against people climbing at the crag. As it's CROW land his principal objection is the crossing of walls and fences.
Yesterday I heard second hand (so only know the sketchiest of details)that he'd shown some climbers off whilst brandishing a shotgun and stated that the crag is 'closed'!
This coincides with discussions I've had with the BMC about stopping the voluntary ban, given that the issue seems to have dropped off the national parks radar, nothing has changed, and we have a legal right to be there.
I'm going to assist in drafting something up for the RAD detailing the options for approach, but for now I think these are the main points to take away.

- The landowner still objects to climbers at the crag
- The crag is on CROW land so we have a right to be there
- The BMC no longer supports a voluntary ban
- The landowner appears to be a gnarly character and has behaved in a threatening way to climber. Proceed with due caution
- DO NOT APPROACH FROM PEAK FOREST VIA THE NORMAL APPROACH. Because: A -  you may meet the landowner. B - crossing walls and fences is to be avoided and is probably illegal. C - while the current pandemic is a live issue it's best to avoid parking in quiet villages and approaching past dwellings, where other options exist
- If you wish to visit the crag please come in either from the NW via footpaths from the entrance to Eldon Quarry on the Castleton to Sparrow Pit road; or through Oxlow Rake east of Peak Forest.

I will given more details on the approach options when I've looked into them more. The Eldon approach may or may not require a wall crossing. The Oxlow approach might involve parking in PF, so neither is ideal unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:04:36 pm by Bonjoy, Reason: Update »

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 05:41:11 pm
Worth updating ukc?

lurcher

• regular
#2 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 07:56:12 pm
Jon is there a case for just following the normal footpath  from PF but instead of cutting down continue until access land is reached then easiest way in over a wall?

Whichever way you go in there is still the issue of a wall or 2 i think. I looked at the eldon approach once out on a bike but not close up but from memory there looked like there was wall (s) to cross (anyone tried?)

Is the PF way just the visibility to farmer?, aside from the fence/walls?  You could be seen accessing in easily enough from the hillside on the east anywhich way.. I don't think the 'no parking in quiet villages holds any water now really- peak is rammed and climbers are a tiny proportion of the overall foot traffic. .In terms of virus risk negligible surely?

mark20

• junky
#3 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 08:03:56 pm
The approach from Eldon Quarry is totally out of sight from all houses/farms/buildings and you don’t need to cross any walls until you get down to the one in front of the crag. It’s quite a long walk though.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 08:04:59 pm
Cheers goatjoy, I've been wanting to check it out at some point so this is useful info.

Lurcher I think part of the issue with avoiding too much parking pressure in small villages is avoiding giving those twats with mattresses on their backs a bad name and thus avoiding future access problems. In part.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 08:15:52 pm
There’s not much room for parking near the path in PF (though plenty down the road) - but most of the parking is outside someone’s house.

lurcher

• regular
#6 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 08:23:03 pm
Seems like Eldon approach is a sensible way then if out of sight/only that wall at top. Will give it a go sometime. If it doesn't now rain for months.   

Fiend- agreed was just making the point that Bonjoy made specific to the pandemic cos you could apply that thinking to Rubicon as well...

Hopefully Bonjoy or someone can get RAD/UKC updated with the best info, probably still get some folk going in from PF though who aren't aware.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 11:00:24 pm
Jon is there a case for just following the normal footpath  from PF but instead of cutting down continue until access land is reached then easiest way in over a wall?

Whichever way you go in there is still the issue of a wall or 2 i think. I looked at the eldon approach once out on a bike but not close up but from memory there looked like there was wall (s) to cross (anyone tried?)

Is the PF way just the visibility to farmer?, aside from the fence/walls?  You could be seen accessing in easily enough from the hillside on the east anywhich way.. I don't think the 'no parking in quiet villages holds any water now really- peak is rammed and climbers are a tiny proportion of the overall foot traffic. .In terms of virus risk negligible surely?
Unfortunately there isn't a viable crossing point until well past the end of the crag.
The main point of avoiding access via PF is to reduce avoidable conflict with the landowner, who has a history of threatening behaviour.
Whatever our legal rights we don't want another Whitehouse incident.
Regards COVID, it's context specific. The context here being a history of disputed access. Better to make a little extra effort rather than feed preexisting grievances and make a bad situation worse.

I've yet to try the Oxlow approach, but I believe this option is shorter than the Eldon approach and involves no wall crossings, either to gain access land or within it. Sounds promising, but need to explore best options for parking before fully recommending.

remus

• forum hero
#8 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 02, 2020, 11:27:26 pm
I went this evening and used the approach via the quarry. Only space for ~3 cars but the walk in itself is fine, about 30mins through some fields and only have to cross one wall just as you get the crag. There's a spot where it's just barbed wire and easy to get over without doing any damage.

I'll put together a quick map tomorrow.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 09:03:56 am
Thanks Remus. There is further parking along the track if the spaces by the entrance are full.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 09:31:38 am
Long old walk in if you find out the crag is busy! Bit of a shame about the old way in...

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 09:58:21 am
Long old walk in if you find out the crag is busy! Bit of a shame about the old way in...

Although on the other hand, it's unlikely to be busy with that walk in.

lurcher

• regular
#13 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 10:10:09 am
Thanks Remus v useful

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#14 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 10:21:02 am

Although on the other hand, it's unlikely to be busy with that walk in.
Assuming most people are approaching the same way, you should get a big hint it may be busy when you park up. The crag also has reasonable capacity.
I'm intending to give the right hand buttress a good clean (glue if needed) off a ladder this year. It's currently a bit loose and gnarly, but could have a bunch of good grade 6s. That would also help if you turned up an there were other parties.

remus

• forum hero
#15 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 12:30:05 pm

The old way in was still 15-20mins for me so the new way didnt feel that different. Maybe Im just a slow walker though!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#16 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 02:52:48 pm

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#19 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 03, 2020, 11:08:47 pm
So after discussion with the access team the RAD has been updated and recommends the Oxlow approach.
The Eldon way in is still a decent option, but is longer and does require climbing over a wall/fence belonging to the farmer.
Either option is preferable to the old approach.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#20 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 04, 2020, 08:28:57 pm
So after discussion with the access team the RAD has been updated and recommends the Oxlow approach.
The Eldon way in is still a decent option, but is longer and does require climbing over a wall/fence belonging to the farmer.
Either option is preferable to the old approach.

Would that mean parking in Peak Forest still?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#21 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 04, 2020, 09:50:42 pm
It does. I suspect there is parking up Old Dam Lane, out of the village but I don't know for sure.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#22 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 09:31:33 am
It does. I suspect there is parking up Old Dam Lane, out of the village but I don't know for sure.

This is mainly just some thoughts that are going round my head for discussion, I'm not sure what's best...

If there parking is it's not obvious on streetview. Parking up there might make one less conspicuous to the village but more so to the farm :shrug: .

I did in that past look into parking up there and decided it wasn't a good option but that was a while ago and perhaps I had a different criteria back then.

I've cycled up Oxlow Rake a few times and it does feel a bit like you are giong up the farm buildings front drive. But then we are perfectly entitled to do this so perhaps we should.

I haven't tried the Eldon hole approach but have been around there often. My feeling is it's a more discrete approach but then there's the fence to cross.

Looking as an OS map it's obvious, to me, why we're having these problems. Connies is in a very small patch of access land and I can imagine a farmer working that land would rather it wasn't access land and would not be doing anything to make access any easier.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#23 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 11:39:39 am
Yes, it's a question of weighing up least worst options. I went through the same thought process.
That's why I was holding off giving a preferred approach until after I'd walked the Oxlow way. However, I spoke to Henry who is familiar with the Oxlow approach and I'm happy to defer to his knowledge. It is after all the only approach which doesn't involve trespass or wall crossing. We'll have to see how it goes and reassess if necessary.

Stuart Anderson

• regular
#24 Re: Conies Dale Access
June 05, 2020, 01:05:20 pm
Just putting it out there in case it's not on people's radars - crossing field boundaries (walls fences etc) is permissable within the CROW Act as long as you don't damage them.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal