UKBouldering.com

Ned Fee interview (Read 9447 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#25 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 02:18:03 pm
45" in of that video is quite mental if I see it right.
Just on the edge of a drop, if he swings out they'll both fly over the edge or what?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 02:23:23 pm
Ask him if he's aware that as he gets older he's starting to look like John Dunne as when he's trying really hard..

tomtom

• forum hero
#27 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 03:21:29 pm
Ask him if he thinks working eliminates in Bens Roof is good prep for Malham sport routes? 💋

SA Chris

• forum hero
#28 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 04:18:09 pm
LOL. It never tires.

Ask him if he thinks climbing faster helps.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#29 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 04:23:44 pm
Andy Moles posted a good question on the ukc thread about the boss -

Brits, including Ned seem to smash out 8B+ pretty quick abroad then take quite a bit longer to do problems in the U.K. that then get graded 8B+ as well... is that because they are under grading the U.K. problems (if so, why), or are the abroad problems over graded? Or is there something else at play - (more consistent good connies making progression on a problem easier as you can make sure you are well rested but also have the problem fresh in your mind)

What would be in Neds top 5 boulders climbed and why? (Not that I’ll likely ever climb any of them)

:geek:

Ooh  also Seem to remember in an old interview him saying that his best days have been doing easier things (could be totally misquoting here) - what has driven him to try so hard in light of that?

(If my questions are shit feel free not to ask them)

Bradders

• forum hero
#30 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 05:03:15 pm
Another one from reading the UKC article.

It sounds like he got a bit jaded with the Peak at one time or another. Is he not psyched for other areas around the UK? I'm assuming he's done High Fidelity, Cypher and Rhythm but what about things like Lanny, Star Power, Bombadil, The Rail, Madame Allure, Isles of Wonder, You Can Go Now, Spaceship, etc.? Not to mention the legions of things to do in Scotland. Only ask because if I were capable of those I'd be on them like a rash!

Is he just less interested in repeating things than in new development? Or does he not fancy the extra driving?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#31 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 05:46:55 pm

Brits, including Ned seem to smash out 8B+ pretty quick abroad then take quite a bit longer to do problems in the U.K. that then get graded 8B+ as well... is that because they are under grading the U.K. problems (if so, why), or are the abroad problems over graded? Or is there something else at play - (more consistent good connies making progression on a problem easier as you can make sure you are well rested but also have the problem fresh in your mind)

I think UK grades vs rest of world is a good line of questioning.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#32 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 05:48:35 pm
Nice report and video. Pity it ends up on UKC as default but I guess that gets the juicy advertisers loot flowing into Nick Brown.

A further question: Did he ever cut loose and kick El Mocho off the edge, and if so was that better than actually doing the problem??

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 07:01:36 pm
Brexit grading. Making life harder for ourselves for no real reason 😃

yetix

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 08:27:40 pm
Another one from reading the UKC article.

It sounds like he got a bit jaded with the Peak at one time or another. Is he not psyched for other areas around the UK? I'm assuming he's done High Fidelity, Cypher and Rhythm but what about things like Lanny, Star Power, Bombadil, The Rail, Madame Allure, Isles of Wonder, You Can Go Now, Spaceship, etc.? Not to mention the legions of things to do in Scotland. Only ask because if I were capable of those I'd be on them like a rash!

Is he just less interested in repeating things than in new development? Or does he not fancy the extra driving?

He's done IoW, tried MA and said it doesn't suit him (narrow compression). Dunno about the others though

Bradders

• forum hero
#35 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 09:12:40 pm
Fair enough, was kind of thinking generally though and just picking the first that sprung to mind from different areas. Lots of others to do.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#36 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 01, 2020, 09:36:21 pm
Has he ever tried an already established problem and been absolutely appalled at how difficult it seems.  And, not for blatantly morphological reasons, rather the sheer "next-gen" demands it makes.  Or, have all the top level test-pieces he has tried felt like they would be doable with enough effort.  A bit of a tangent but I am thinking of the "ordinary genius" versus "magician" distinction bandied about after Richard Feynman's death, e.g. the mathematician Hans Kec wrote:

''There are two kinds of geniuses, the `ordinary` and the `magicians.` An ordinary genius is a fellow that you and I would be just as good as, if we were only many times better. There is no mystery as to how his mind works. Once we understand what they have done, we feel certain that we, too, could have done it.

''It is different with the magicians . . . the working of their minds is for all intents and purposes incomprehensible. Even after we understand what they have done, the process by which they have done it is completely dark. . . . Richard Feynman is a magician of the highest caliber.''

So, I wonder, although climbing is a physical discipline, if some climbers are more "magicians" than others (or perhaps mutant is a better term) - and if even their elite peers are astounded (or dismayed), or if it is more of a continuum. 

Rob F

• menacing presence
#37 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 02, 2020, 09:44:27 pm
Whilst everyone else is sidetracked by the fingerboard / beastmaker thing, bouldering connoisseurs have noted that Ned's secret weapon is his insane flexibility.

Has he any top tips to improve this domain???

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 02, 2020, 10:18:55 pm
I suspect his answer might include stretching.. 😂

Rob F

• menacing presence
#39 Re: Ned Fee interview
June 02, 2020, 10:24:48 pm
I didn't want to pre-empt answers but wondering about Jean Claude Van Ned or Pavel TsatsouNed etc...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal