UKBouldering.com

Peak Area Meeting online tonight (Read 3550 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

ANIMAL

tried to attend this but totally failed to get the ticket that was supposed to have been sent , a total waste of time much like the BMC generally

danm

• junky
Did you check your spamfilter? Eventbrite is pretty reliable.

webbo

• forum hero
Given Animals apparent apathy and preconceived beliefs about the BMC. I wouldn’t be trying to help them attend I would be telling them to fuck off . But I guess sometimes you have to nice to people.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Maybe just stick to drumming.

ANIMAL

sorry Webbo did not mean to upset you, I was very pissed of at going round and round in circles for 20 minutes . the information given was all in jargon that I as a non computer /it person could not understand , I had wanted to se what the outcome of the meeting or debates would be given the current situation and my mixed feeling regarding the de escalation of the lockdown ..
I hav e some oppinion regarding the BMC, some positive and some negative but have been a supporter and member for a number of years and will continue to do so .

If I came over as a twat that is because I sometimes am a twat ,

Thanks for trying to help me out Danm , however I would not know how to do a spam filter thing . everything clickable on the e maisand the ever bright log in just took me back to the same things or opened up something un useful .

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Think everyone is getting a bit tetchy ATM. It's not surprising really.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I had wanted to se what the outcome of the meeting or debates would be given the current situation and my mixed feeling regarding the de escalation of the lockdown ..

If you want to summarise your views I'd be happy to put them to the BMC Covid-19 steering group on Monday, or try to explain why we are where we are.

ANIMAL

Thanks Johnny .
I am at present trying to formulate an opinion of the current situation with regard to the new guidelines without prejudice to any one else views .

I was hoping to glean information and hear others ideas, and all her things regarding this matter that might not otherwise have crossed my mind , hence the frustration .

Regards C Plant

danm

• junky
No worries Animal (or should that be Plantpot?), I did think your first post a bit rude but then again I hadn't spent 20mins trying to get a ticket and failing. It's tough times for everyone - I work for the BMC and a big chunk of the staff are on furlough. The remainder are under the cosh a bit, and along with the fantastic crew of volunteers we are so lucky to have, are doing their best to keep the ship afloat and give sensible advice and guidance to those who want it. Thanks for being a supporter, it means even more right now than ever.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
Hi ANIMAL / Chris. Obviously this was the first time that the area meetings have been conducted remotely so there has been a lot to learn for everyone who was involved in setting up the meetings (including, I may add, many volunteers who have given a lot of their free time to set this up). As such, it would be really helpful if you could explain what stopped you from being able to attend so that we can address this for future meetings. I could be wrong, but I think there may have been a problem for people trying to register for the meeting just before it was due to start - was this the case for you?

Also, for anyone who did attend, it would be great to get any feedback on the remote meeting. Feel free to post here or if you'd prefer you can email on Peak.Area@thebmc.co.uk

Cheers, Andy
Peak Area Chair

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
No problems from where I was sitting. Well chaired. And thanks again to Neil for the JA obituary

danm

• junky
Was the meeting recorded? I think there is a function to do this. Handy if there is for the future for people who can't make the meeting.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
No problems from where I was sitting. Well chaired. And thanks again to Neil for the JA obituary
Thanks Simon. Yes, I wholeheartedly share what you say about Neil's words in memory of JA

Was the meeting recorded? I think there is a function to do this. Handy if there is for the future for people who can't make the meeting.
No recording of this Dan. We were told to not record it due to GDPR concerns (i.e. having a reliable way of seeking consent of attendees to be recorded). The minutes will be available soon as usual, although I appreciate that this isn't quite the same.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
No recording of this Dan. We were told to not record it due to GDPR concerns (i.e. having a reliable way of seeking consent of attendees to be recorded). The minutes will be available soon as usual, although I appreciate that this isn't quite the same.

Think you should push back at that as it is a nonsense. It’s effectively a public meeting and anyone who dials in can screen record it.

danm

• junky
I think in the modern age, recording these meetings for non attendees will be a great way of increasing engagement. Consent can be obtained through the ticketing process I would have thought i.e. if you attend you agree to be recorded. I can see issues regarding sensitive things being said in meetings which you might not say to the general public, but that just requires being more circumspect than in the past and perhaps saving some things for private messaging. Also, wasn't a previous AGM recorded/live streamed?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth

Think you should push back at that as it is a nonsense. It’s effectively a public meeting and anyone who dials in can screen record it.

As much of a pain that GDPR is, it's not nonsense, nor is the debate around public publishing. I do agree in future if all participants are aware that the meeting will be recorded and published online for a fixed time (and that by taking part they agree to that), that GDPR should not be an issue. As to whether that's a good idea or not is another matter. I certainly wouldn't want some views on access made in area meetings made accessible online to landowners.  Also debate might be stiffled somewhat, knowing what's said will be out there in a public recording.

Thanks again to the BMC team and the local volunteers for running these virtual meetings, and especially Chris Stone for being a BMC Director 'getting his hands dirty on the coal face' to help all local areas on the IT side.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Maybe the secretary could simply summarise what’s discussed in a text document that could be posted online and read in a few minutes?  ;)

Who is going to download and sit through a three hour+ unedited video of an area meeting in preference to just reading the minutes apart from people who are looking to stir things up negatively?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Exactly (although what constitutes minutes seems to be a matter of disagreement for some... the extreme being people who want almost verbatim detail).

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Who is going to download and sit through a three hour+ unedited video of an area meeting in preference to just reading the minutes apart from people who are looking to stir things up negatively?

It was 2 hours I think, maybe less.

If I missed it I would listen to it. Others might fast forward to the items on the agenda they were most interested in.

Think a few would have liked the opportunity to listen to Neil’s obit on John Allen.

It would also be a useful aide memoire for the secretary when writing up the minutes and an actual record to refer to if the minutes were disputed.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Who is going to download and sit through a three hour+ unedited video of an area meeting

It was 2 hours I think, maybe less.

Whose point are you trying to prove?  ;)

Seriously though, decent points. I would absolutely not watch a video if I missed a meeting (I just have a quick look at the minutes) but I do represent a minority of people who find almost all of the meeting content uninteresting but still go to them anyway!

I do feel like losing the ability to say exactly what we think about access issues would be a big shame though- it’s pretty much the only reason I go apart from the social side and food.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal