UKBouldering.com

thoracic vertebrae injury (Read 2528 times)

Steve R

• forum abuser
thoracic vertebrae injury
May 18, 2020, 05:55:40 pm
When poked and prodded near or on the vertebrae itself (T2 or 3 I think - not sure which one exactly but definitely a specific, discrete one)  it feels tender and er, injured.  Sprained?  No discernable pain just moving around or twisting/stretching but can hurt climbing especially when not warmed up. Started I think as quite diffuse upper back and/or shoulder tension/pain/soreness which of course I just ignored but now seems centred on this particular spot and doesn't seem to be sorting itself.  Fairly certain it's caused from climbing, (weak) intuition is maybe in particular from steep undercutting.
Anyone had a similar thing or care to have a bash at speculating what it might be?  Any advice gratefully received.  I feel like I want to stretch it but have so far failed to find a stretch that 'gets' it.  Have been rolling a tennis ball around on it leaning back against a wall - painful.  whilst feels like 'good' pain not sure if it's making things any better or worse.....

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#1 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 18, 2020, 08:15:02 pm
Sounds like muscle tightness to me. Stretching and massaging should help. Ibru if it's painful. Have you had a change in your working setup recently? Suffering with my back a bit at the minute and I'm pretty certain it's due the crap chair in my home office.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#2 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 18, 2020, 11:06:07 pm
Yeah, felt like that for a while but now seems and feels something worse than just muscular.  It's been a problem for a lot of months thinking about it and a decent layoff during lockdown didn't move it in the right direction unfortunately...  Do you know how injured or niggly pulleys feel when you poke and squeeze around at them?  Feels like that but on and near this particular vertebrae.
Have you had a change in your working setup recently?
not really, still not doing much of that :lol: .  Lower back is a bit stuffed generally from building work but used to managing that.  Never had any upper back issues until this.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 19, 2020, 08:54:31 am
Impact from running 100km on rough ground maybe? ;)

Could just need some general maintenance as hr says, when were you last allowed to get a massage to loosen it up?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 19, 2020, 01:53:53 pm
I feel like I should be able to help with this but having had a serious thoracic spine injury but having no real medical knowledge I can’t apart from to suggest that you get it looked at by someone who understands spines. I hope it’s OK.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#5 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 19, 2020, 03:02:30 pm
Do you know how injured or niggly pulleys feel when you poke and squeeze around at them?  Feels like that but on and near this particular vertebrae.

Not really, never had a pulley injury. But i think I know what you mean. And that's what my back feels like when the muscles are really tight. Even the vertebrae itself can feel incredibly sore when touched, even quite lightly. generally mine is caused by holding a silly position for too long and being stressed. for example, not great desk position at work, learning to drive and holding my arms out in-front to tensely, painting a ceiling. Massage, conditioning, foam rollering, stretching, moving around more all help. it used to be quiet bad for me but generally isn't so bad now. I can't really say exactly what I changed to improve it but I generally am a lot more aware and do a lot to more now to attempt to keep it ok.

If you're worried about it then you should see your GP.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#6 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 20, 2020, 10:56:09 pm
Impact from running 100km on rough ground maybe? ;)

Could just need some general maintenance as hr says, when were you last allowed to get a massage to loosen it up?

Think you might be confusing me with someone else?  (10km per week on easy terrain represents a highly motivated running week for me.)   And can't say I've ever had a massage, always just assumed it's one of those things other people do.  Might need to update that outlook!

Even the vertebrae itself can feel incredibly sore when touched, even quite lightly.  Massage, conditioning, foam rollering, stretching, moving around more all help.

Thanks a lot for the replies.  That's reassuring - your post + an fb message from someone shifted my thinking to probably is just related to muscle tightness so topic title looks a little dramatic in retrospect!  Will do as you suggest and go from there, thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 20, 2020, 11:32:15 pm
My Mistake John M not Steve R!

I usually get one every 6-8 weeks, i find it really helps with tightness in muscles. Agony but in a good way.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#8 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 21, 2020, 07:55:12 am
Foam rollers are cheap.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 21, 2020, 08:55:53 am
For back I find a hard rubber ball gets into the knots better. Got many small muscles.

I really like these too, looks like a torture instrument, but work.

https://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Hook-Massage-Tool-GoFit/dp/B071WQJ8Z8

Google muscle hook there are loads of different makes

JohnM

• junky
#10 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 21, 2020, 09:47:23 am
My Mistake John M not Steve R!

Don't worry you were indirectly correct! I have been laid up all week with very bad back pain  :slap:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: thoracic vertebrae injury
May 21, 2020, 11:05:05 am
Must be channeling.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal