UKBouldering.com

Climber shaming (Read 5703 times)

mark s

• junky
Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 11:11:49 am
Anyone else pig sick of the self riotous shaming of climbers on social media?

I certainly am
Apart from going to work , going climbing now is the only time i go out. I go out alone, if i went with someone id be careful. As im sure others are. Doing nothing wrong and having fun.
Yet a small loud minority think its their fucking job to try and shame us.
If they want to stay, then stay in. Dont project on others doing nothing wrong.
Whats happened to climbers? Where has the risk aversion come from

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 11:19:39 am
Not seen any of this? Where is this happening? Quotes?

mark s

• junky
#2 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 12:03:10 pm
On fb when say the bmc or ukc post something about the new current guidance about climbing. There are the ones shouting about how people should not be climbing etc. It isnt personal shaming, more climbers as a whole who climb outdoors now.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 12:27:05 pm
Think expressing an opinion that climbers still shouldn’t be going out is ok. People will have personal or moral reasons for that. Fair play as long as individuals aren’t being unfairly singled out unless that individual is Will Hunt of course...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 12:28:44 pm
On fb when say the bmc or ukc post something about the new current guidance about climbing. There are the ones shouting about how people should not be climbing etc. It isnt personal shaming, more climbers as a whole who climb outdoors now.

Why read the comments?

Never a great idea, unless you’re looking for a giggle or in the mood for an argument (sometimes quite cathartic), otherwise; nah.

abarro81

• forum hero
#5 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 03:17:42 pm
Best to give up on the comments on the BMC posts and just enjoy the fact that it means there are a bunch of people who aren't going out who would otherwise be clogging up the crags, car parks and paths where we want to be!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 05:06:42 pm
Think expressing an opinion that climbers still shouldn’t be going out is ok. People will have personal or moral reasons for that. Fair play as long as individuals aren’t being unfairly singled out unless that individual is Will Hunt of course...

NSFW  don't bother reading. Nobody cares.:
I appreciate everyone likes to have a dig, but I was a bit annoyed at 36C for that. There was no context. I went out briefly after much thought and debate on here, to a very careful selected crag (a very shit crag but the only one I thought justifiable), for some incredibly lowball bouldering (far less risky than all these people climbing on their roof with loose tiles etc), at a time when it was likely to be within the law (prior to Welsh guidance).

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 05:17:43 pm
I didn’t realise it was you until you Puntered him Will!

No one would have known!

Rob F

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 05:55:01 pm
Is this The Will Hunt that laybacks up a perfectly good VDiff crack at font 6b+???

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#9 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 06:05:18 pm

NSFW  don't bother reading. Nobody cares.:
I appreciate everyone likes to have a dig, but I was a bit annoyed at 36C for that. There was no context. I went out briefly after much thought and debate on here, to a very careful selected crag (a very shit crag but the only one I thought justifiable), for some incredibly lowball bouldering (far less risky than all these people climbing on their roof with loose tiles etc), at a time when it was likely to be within the law (prior to Welsh guidance).

I thought 36C was just taking the piss entirely, and it’s only this post that confirms anything!!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#10 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 08:24:05 pm
Is this The Will Hunt that laybacks up a perfectly good VDiff crack at font 6b+???

And to think he writes guidebooks  :no:

Should. Know. Better

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Climber shaming
May 16, 2020, 10:53:03 pm
If you are referring to my comment on FB, it was due to the wording as per my comment on the BMC thread on here, but appears to have been misinterpreted. Who knew.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal