UKBouldering.com

Restrictions on 'low risk' climbing relaxed in Wales (Read 3571 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Scotland must surely follow suit soon.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Changed this morning apparently

https://thebmc.co.uk/can-i-go-climbing-and-hill-walking-in-wales

Where do you see it's changed? I still read 
Travelling by vehicle before exercising
13. The intention is that exercise should be undertaken locally – as close as possible to the home.  In general this should not involve people driving to a location away from home for this purpose.  No journeys of any significant distance should be taken, for example, just in order to exercise in the countryside or at beauty spots (many of which are closed in any event to prevent this).

14. People with specific health or mobility issues may, however, need to travel from their home in order to be able to exercise.  For example, some wheelchair users may not be able to start to exercise immediately outside their homes for practical access reasons, and may need to drive to a suitable flat location, such as a park, for this purpose.  In these circumstances the journey should be to the nearest convenient accessible location and no long journeys should be undertaken unless absolutely necessary.

Pantontino

• forum hero
Travel scenario hasn't really changed, just that the BMC are now saying that low risk activities are okay to do. So I can walk from my house to Fachwen, Clegir etc and boulder on my own, or with my son.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
 Aha I see. I live on North West edge of the Cardneddau. Do you know of anything  in walking range? Haha.

joeisidle

• addict
Travel scenario hasn't really changed, just that the BMC are now saying that low risk activities are okay to do. So I can walk from my house to Fachwen, Clegir etc and boulder on my own, or with my son.

I'm glad for you and anyone else that can get out right now, but living in the centre of Newport I could have puntered you for that thread title...

Pantontino

• forum hero
Aha I see. I live on North West edge of the Cardneddau. Do you know of anything  in walking range? Haha.

Whereabouts? Abergwyngregyn?

Try this: http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=723

Phil's approach description is a bit vague but I think he means it's by the side of Afon Anafon.

There's also the Penmaenbach quarry boulder but that could be miles away from you (that's in the 2nd edition guide p572).

Pantontino

• forum hero

I'm glad for you and anyone else that can get out right now, but living in the centre of Newport I could have puntered you for that thread title...

Sorry Joe, didn't mean to wind anybody up, just saw it on twitter and posted straight away without thinking too much.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato

Phil's approach description is a bit vague but I think he means it's by the side of Afon Anafon.

There's also the Penmaenbach quarry boulder but that could be miles away from you (that's in the 2nd edition guide p572).

Aha yeah. I figured that's my closest. I spoke to Phil about it when we moved here, right beneath the car park I believe and I'm aware the local residents are super touchy (understandably) about people visiting the falls. I live between there and Hendre, so tis probably my closest bet.

I went for a desperation hike towards the Berau and around looking for new choss to hide on a few weeks ago but saw nothing too hopeful... Even then I'm not sure 20km round trip with pads is something I'd be keen to do for shit rock... yet...

Ballsofcottonwool

• player

We already can, we just can't drive there.

Pantontino

• forum hero

Aha yeah. I figured that's my closest. I spoke to Phil about it when we moved here, right beneath the car park I believe and I'm aware the local residents are super touchy (understandably) about people visiting the falls. I live between there and Hendre, so tis probably my closest bet.

I went for a desperation hike towards the Berau and around looking for new choss to hide on a few weeks ago but saw nothing too hopeful... Even then I'm not sure 20km round trip with pads is something I'd be keen to do for shit rock... yet...

Rachub then? I've heard of a new F7c+/8a (sport grade) low level trav in a quarry above Rachub. Supposed to be good. Think the landing is good so no need to carry a pad.

Stick Boy Shuffle p187. Not that great but if you're feeling rock starved it probably feel amazing!

Thumb Boulder?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

We already can, we just can't drive there.

Recommendation is still not to do anything vaguely risky though. I've got stacks in walking distance, but done any (yet).

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Oh Rachub sounds interesting. Any more details on it? There's a few quarry-esque things on that hillside. I could get to those easily and not having to take a pad makes a quick cycle or walk feasible.

Pantontino

• forum hero
Oh Rachub sounds interesting. Any more details on it? There's a few quarry-esque things on that hillside. I could get to those easily and not having to take a pad makes a quick cycle or walk feasible.

Calum Muskett told me about it. He repeated it but Luke Brooks did the fa. He said it was in a quarry cutting with a couple of routes (an E2 and an E5) 35m long and called Flattening the Curve. That's all the info I have at the moment but I'll message Calum see if I can get a lon, lat.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Amazing thanks. Is the name coincidental or is it a recent FA? Hah.

Pantontino

• forum hero
It was done just before lockdown.

53.190256, -4.053824

Calum said:

"Go through the gate above Rachub onto Faban which has an incline straight in front of it. Halfway up the incline on the right and at the back of a small slag heap area turn right into the alley.

It starts bottom right, hand on the arete and finishes pulling on to a grassy ledge top left."

He says you can comfortably cycle to the gate.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
Wow latlong too! Thanks so much, will let you know how I get on!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal