UKBouldering.com

Who got out today? Reports (Read 21870 times)

ali k

• junky
#100 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 06:48:48 am
Marlene Direct.. felt like vertical face sport 6b+/c to a good rest then a short balancy V4 crux on the top arete. Not complaining mind, lovely route!
Yeh great route and what a line!

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#101 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 07:25:45 am
From the other channel
“There’s a parking spot in Calver on the little one way stretch of road between the village green and the football pitches. Walkers etc have historically left there cars here for the day. Just a heads up that all the cars parked up there today had their tyres let down, some multiple tyres.
there were people waiting for recovery when Mrs Paul in Sheffield was out on the dog walk. One unfortunate had all four tyres let down.
There’s a lot of rumblings from locals about the increasing numbers parking up around Curbar Gap and Stoney. I’m not sure what the answer is, but this isn’t going to go away in the near future I don’t think”

:wank:
This guy lives in Calver and its total bollox, I live local and no one else has heard of the incident. No police report, no locals including the eyere arms across the road, no garage has said anything , no one saw anything, I drove past and didn't see any mass servicing of cars to re-inflate as it would of been about 10 that needed helping. The rumblings are aimed at the general mindless throng, not climbers and walkers who are amongst the best behaved.
I have to say as well some of the vitriol aimed at locals who dare to voice concerns is a bit out of order. People live out hear with familys and work and carry on like everybodys else does. Because they have got angry at someone who was shitting in there back garden they are now a pitchfork wielding redneck

abarro81

• forum hero
#102 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 07:31:57 am
There do seem to be a lot of people out who look like maybe they're not used to it.. driving back from WCJ (cornice and moat, couple of teams at each, all dry) it was heaving yesterday, including lots of family groups who seemed to have decided to drive out to the peak in order to take a walk... Along the the road...

galpinos

• forum hero
#103 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 07:42:36 am
Two trips out this weekend.

Bouldering early doors Saturday morning, got a bit emotional seeing Mam Tor and the Great ridge in lovely light and realising how much I had missed it all/how much it all meant to me. Also found that fingerboarding has done nothing for my movement skills.....

Family toproping on Sunday at Windgather. Quite a few teams out (6 or 7 pairs?), people "reasonably" spaced. Kids were in heaven, their excitement at not being in the garden/the park was palpable. Slightly marred by standing in a human shit early doors but apart from that, a weekend that has been great for the soul.

mark20

• junky
#104 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:11:25 am
From the other channel
“There’s a parking spot in Calver on the little one way stretch of road between the village green and the football pitches. Walkers etc have historically left there cars here for the day. Just a heads up that all the cars parked up there today had their tyres let down, some multiple tyres.
there were people waiting for recovery when Mrs Paul in Sheffield was out on the dog walk. One unfortunate had all four tyres let down.
There’s a lot of rumblings from locals about the increasing numbers parking up around Curbar Gap and Stoney. I’m not sure what the answer is, but this isn’t going to go away in the near future I don’t think”

:wank:
This guy lives in Calver and its total bollox, I live local and no one else has heard of the incident. No police report, no locals including the eyere arms across the road, no garage has said anything , no one saw anything, I drove past and didn't see any mass servicing of cars to re-inflate as it would of been about 10 that needed helping. The rumblings are aimed at the general mindless throng, not climbers and walkers who are amongst the best behaved.
I have to say as well some of the vitriol aimed at locals who dare to voice concerns is a bit out of order. People live out hear with familys and work and carry on like everybodys else does. Because they have got angry at someone who was shitting in there back garden they are now a pitchfork wielding redneck
Sorry I didn’t mean to spread mis-information , just what I read on there. And the wanker symbol wasn’t aimed at all, just those (who possibly don’t exist) who’d let tyres down.
 To be honest I’m quite surprised the people who live in those villages aren’t more aggrieved, having seen the amount of cars parked up and people wandering aimlessly around the roads and villages yesterday, like Barrows also says.

nik at work

• forum hero
#105 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:12:23 am
Was noticeably busier in Hope Valley this weeekend. Climbed early-ish Sat and Sun morning. Both times saw a couple of other climbers but all very sensible and civilised.
The general vibe I’m getting is that it’s a shame it’s not still really quiet (because it was obviously very lovely, if weird) but that it is to be expected and not in and of itself a ‘bad’ thing. However (and I say this as someone who likes and rides motorbikes) the biggest dicks by far have been the bikers. Big swarms of them. No efforts at all to social distance, illegally loud exhausts, riding waaaaay to fast, stopping in stupid places (guy stopping his bike halfway down Winnats pass on a busy Sat afternoon to try and photograph it, wtf!?). Not tarring all bikers with the same brush by any extent, but I guess it is an activity that attracts more than it’s fair share of ‘that kind of person’...

mark20

• junky
#106 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:13:27 am
And I agree about walkers and climbers, from what I’ve seen and heard we are doing a great job of staying low-key and spreading out.

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#107 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:36:53 am
Im working from home today, the difference in traffic is astonishing. You always get lorries thundering through (real bugbear round here, not the lorries but going into Stoney doing 60 to the kink where the moon is then hauling on the anchors) but at the moment few cars and no motorbikes. Nik your are right, it was mental yesterday, I wondered if it was orchestrated as there are very few cops in the PDNP and it seemed like a free for all by the sports bikes.

Anyway got out Saturday to clean a new route and bolt it, yesterday was so busy ended up climbing on my board as it seemed like less hassle.

tomtom

• forum hero
#108 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:46:57 am
No comparison to the Peak - but around here (S Manchester) it seems quieter during rush hour than 2pm on Sat/Sun...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#109 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 08:52:36 am
The wife and I went to Stony Edge on Sunday - 3 mile walk in and out. Absolutely blissful to be out amongst the cotton grass, Swifts and Meadow Pippits and have the crag to ourselves! We both felt we climbed fairly well!

Lots of walkers on the Pennine Way mostly behaving well - one exception was a large family group who had no concept of what we trying to do when we stood on the verge to make space for them to pass...

Saw a team heading up to Blackstone Edge and top ropers in Cows Mouth but no other climbers. Some chalk on some problems at Stony...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#110 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 09:28:51 am
There do seem to be a lot of people out who look like maybe they're not used to it..
Met a couple with very shiny pads above Frodsham yesterday out on my run. Indoor converts? Pointed them in direction of the crag, hope they had a good time :)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#111 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 10:55:01 am
My wife is no stranger to a nice walk, but we tend to go out on nice sunny days and stop in a pub and it's all very civilised. One of my favourite feelings in the world is the feeling of all body fatigue, like you've had the shit kicked out of you, that you get after a day spent being battered by the wind on an exposed moor.
It was very windy yesterday. When we were driving home and the kids had fallen asleep she turned to me and said, "I feel completely fucked". So good to share that feeling with her.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#112 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 10:57:33 am
Same here - 6 miles carrying a big pad in high winds have my legs feeling a tad sore this morning!

ashtond6

• obsessive maniac
#113 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 11:18:38 am
Lovely weekend out!

Saturday was a funny one - went to a fair few places before we found anywhere suitable to climb:

Stoney (busy since all routes start from the same place)
Beerhouse (seemingly banned?)
Craig y biceps (was uninspired)
Raven tor (dead except for yellow trouser man, put off climbing there due to comments on here)
Stoney again (still busy)

Arrived at Deep rake at 6PM to 4 parked cars! Luckily as we arrived 3 teams left.

Stanage yesterday and it was wonderful and dead.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#114 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 11:28:11 am
One of my favourite feelings in the world is the feeling of all body fatigue, like you've had the shit kicked out of you, that you get after a day spent being battered by the wind on an exposed moor.
It was very windy yesterday. When we were driving home and the kids had fallen asleep she turned to me and said, "I feel completely fucked". So good to share that feeling with her.

;D

Smith42

• regular
#115 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 11:35:30 am
Whats peoples thoughts on virus transmission from using the same holds?

Bouldering especially, i can see it being less of an issue on routes that might only be climbed every few days.

Thought this thing lived on surfaces for days so this might be a bigger issue to overcome than the 2m social distancing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#116 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 11:38:32 am
One of my favourite feelings in the world is the feeling of all body fatigue, like you've had the shit kicked out of you, that you get after a day spent being battered by the wind on an exposed moor.

;D

Like going winter climbing with your spouse. You'll be the one driving home long after dark, eyes feeling like they've had sand in them, everything aching from head to toes, sipping strong coffee or over-caffeinated sugary drink company to stay awake while she snores gently in the passenger seat. Great feeling.

tomtom

• forum hero
#117 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 11:51:19 am

Bouldering especially, i can see it being less of an issue on routes that might only be climbed every few days.

Thought this thing lived on surfaces for days so this might be a bigger issue to overcome than the 2m social distancing.

Lots of chat about this on other threads.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#118 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 12:30:18 pm

Thorough hand hygiene seems to be agreed approach. Before, during, after. otherwise, as per Tomtom, discussed at length elsewhere (can't remember where..)

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#119 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 01:40:35 pm
Scientific literature presents a mixed picture, with arguments ranging from uv light will kill it quickly to mucus-encased virus survives a long time.

If you want someone to tell you if it’s possible anything more precise than “dunno” is unsupported speculation.

Contact tracing literature is more optimistic since In MOST cases transmission can be tied to “close contact” - ie. being near an infected person for a reasonable amount of time.

You can’t rule out surface transmission based on that info, but you don’t NEED it to explain the infection.

One notable exception  was a shopping centre in Korea where contact through elevator buttons was suspected.

There isn’t a single case of confirmed surface transmission outdoors to date. But most studies have been done during lockdowns when people weren’t outside much.

Executive summary. The risk is of unknown magnitude but almost certainly smaller than the chance you’d get it  by chatting to the guy on a boulder 3m away for 10 minutes. Which, outdoors, is also small

James Malloch

• forum hero
#120 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 02:55:48 pm
I’ve not managed to get out yet as my shoes & pads are all a 2hr drive away... Does anyone know the legality of picking them up?

We had to move at the start of lockdown as we couldn’t work from the boat we lived on. Unfortunately things like pads couldn’t fit in the car as we had to bring pretty much everything with us :(

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#121 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 03:05:01 pm
Provided you do star jumps as you're collecting your stuff you're golden.

ali k

• junky
#122 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 03:11:15 pm
my shoes & pads are all a 2hr drive away... Does anyone know the legality of picking them up?
If you and the stuff is all in England I would just go pick them up. No limits on driving any more, and best to get them now before the next lockdown...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#123 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 03:17:26 pm
Everything is in England. South Cumbria to Leeds.
Will make sure I do some walking and jumping close to the boat...
Going crazy not being able to pull onto the local rock. There’s a shite training traverse which looks right up my street for wasting away hour after hour...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#124 Re: Who got out today? Reports
May 18, 2020, 03:17:59 pm
my shoes & pads are all a 2hr drive away... Does anyone know the legality of picking them up?
If you and the stuff is all in England I would just go pick them up. No limits on driving any more, and best to get them now before the next lockdown...

This isn't actually true. The restrictions are still in place. You can only leave home to work, get medical treatment/provide support to a vulnerable person, visit shops that are allowed to be open, or to exercise. You're allowed to drive if you're doing one of those things. Hence the importance of the star jumps.

(You'll be fine, James. Go and get your gear. But for God's sake do some burpees or something)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal