UKBouldering.com

Peak District Tick Watch (Read 31187 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#50 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 09:54:44 am
Our cat has had a few (suburban West Yorkshire) over the years. I had one as a child after a walk in North Wales. Apparently there are certain routes in the Lakes like Totalitarian where you're guaranteed to get them.

I hate the thought of them and habitually wear long trousers for most climbing unless it's somewhere really barren (Almscliff/Kilnsey etc)

Banana finger

• addict
  • daft lad
#51 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:14:29 am
I got a tick walking around froggatt last summer...bumbling around renegade master area.
So strange since I've been bushwhacking around the peak for almost 20 years and had never got a tick until then.
I was kinda under the naive impression ticks weren't an issue in the peak.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#52 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:32:48 am

- hopefully this is visible - zoom in to the cuff. A typical day out in the Scottish Hills. P.S. They don't seem the like compression stockings tho.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#53 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:43:54 am

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#54 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:45:18 am

I hate the thought of them and habitually wear long trousers for most climbing unless it's somewhere really barren (Almscliff/Kilnsey etc)

I invested in some lighter coloured trousers instead of dark cypher pants so I could see them better.

jshaw

• addict
#55 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 11:24:51 am
I thought ticks were predominantly a scotland / wales / lakes thing! I've been out and about in the Peak for around 10 years now and can't remember ever getting tick-ed in the peak. I often do a casual check for ticks out of habit but will be much more careful from now on. Thanks for bringing this up JB.

My +1, of places I've been in the peak since lockdown ended that involved some bushwacking: houndkirk, tintwhistle, stanage area, curbar area and baslow area. Saw deer at tintwhistle, have seen deer in the curbar woods in previous years. no ticks.

Bradders

• forum hero
#56 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 12:15:59 pm
They can be quite random in where they seem to make an appearance. For example in May 2018 I went up to Scotland and had a bouldering session at Mini Magic Wood near Loch Lomond. The place was absolutely infested and I must have taken several dozen off my dog throughout the day. Avoided being bitten myself but most horrifying though was on the drive home when I saw a big fat one crawling towards me next to the gear stick...

Anyway, went back the following year fully anticipating more of the same; don't think I saw a single one  :-\

Yet to see any in Yorkshire (other than at Stoupe Brow) or the Peak but plenty around South Lakes Lime and saw a few at Carrock Fell once.

Not sure I'd be keen on getting vaccinated, would rather just be super strict about wearing clothing that will show them up and using DEET etc. to try and avoid them biting but suppose there's always a risk one of the tiny ones will get through. Horrible little shits.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#57 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 12:18:39 pm
I've had them on my eyelid (Lakes) and testicles (Scotland - noticed that one in the bath, 2 days after I'd been to the crag, had been wondering why me baws were a bit itchy). No Lymes thank fuck.

tomtom

• forum hero
#58 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 01:24:07 pm
First one was in my Garden in Wales in 2003.

I’ve had them at S Lakes lime a couple of times...

None from any Lancs moors yet (though seen deer) - I’ve taken precautions (trousers tucked in etc..) when thrashing up to Blackstone and other places but not had any.

Would be a great opportunity for some citizen science - report them via app etc.. see where the hotspots are (geographically - not Fiends nuts obvs).

My worst was last year near Bosigran. Apparently there the sheep are on an organic farm so they don’t get dipped. Not just down to the deer....

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#59 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 01:48:15 pm
Hang on a sec, let me dig up a photo....

dunnyg

• forum hero
#60 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 01:49:47 pm
Looks like a right bastard

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#61 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 01:53:18 pm
Aye. So does the tick.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#62 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 02:50:18 pm
Aargh, fuck that

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#63 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 03:13:39 pm
Had been on overnight too  :wub:

mark20

• junky
#64 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 04:48:29 pm

My worst was last year near Bosigran. Apparently there the sheep are on an organic farm so they don’t get dipped. Not just down to the deer....

Me too. Got back to the carpark and made sure we got rid of them all. Caused a massive panic amongst a few families sat round eating their lunch, all frantically checking each other for ticks!

Had them in North Wales (The Llyn if I remember correctly) but none in the Peak yet. Though a mate said he had one from Blackamoor yesterday.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#65 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 06:15:31 pm

Loads of great data for JB’s Peak District tick survey here.  :lol:

I'm sure if JiBe wasn't happy about it being a general conversation about ticks he would have said so a while back.

My aunt picked up Lyme's a while back in N Wales, well she got the full bull's eye rash, got a full on series of antibiotics and nipped it in the bud quite quickly. To add to her ticklist of illnesses which includes malaria and meningitis.

webbo

• forum hero
#66 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 08:01:56 pm
The worst place I have visited for them was Chapel Head Scar. All round the line of my harness legs loops and in my testicles. However as the missus had remove them it wasn’t all bad.

SamT

• forum hero
#67 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 08:43:27 pm
Worst place for me was Raven Crag in Thirlmere,

I got about 6, but my mate, who was wearing shorts and a vest top, got about 28 I think he said.  We were involved in some proper bushwacking, the whole approach/decent (didn't fancy the ab tat one bit)  etc was somewhat overgrown.

Most recent one was at St Bees, Not sure where from, presumably in cattle field where I sat and made a 10 minute phone call, rather than the descent path down the cliff.

Non in the peak as yet.

Hate the little bastards.

Bradders

• forum hero
#68 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 08:48:21 pm
The worst place I have visited for them was Chapel Head Scar. All round the line of my harness legs loops and in my testicles. However as the missus had remove them it wasn’t all bad.

Romantic  :lol:

andy popp

• forum hero
#69 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 08:53:28 pm

They seem to exist in that special category of creature - also including wasps, midges, and jellyfish - whose sole purpose is to make life much more miserable without adding any ecological benefit. But perhaps I'm missing out on all the great things they do?

Duma

• forum hero
#70 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 09:20:11 pm
Wasps eat damaging insects on a significant scale I believe.
Jellyfish feed turtles?
Midges can get fucked though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#71 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 09:34:48 pm

They seem to exist in that special category of creature - also including wasps, midges, and jellyfish - whose sole purpose is to make life much more miserable without adding any ecological benefit. But perhaps I'm missing out on all the great things they do?

Gorse. The wasps of the plant world. And no it's not actually that pretty before anyone starts. And mosquitos and tsetse fly, the most dangerous animals in Africa.

tomtom

• forum hero
#72 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:15:34 pm
Gorse burns nicely though! Jellyfish don’t 

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#73 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 25, 2020, 10:18:30 pm

Got another one for you. Sea lice. Way worse than jellies in my opinion and I've been stung by both...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#74 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
June 26, 2020, 08:51:47 am
Gorse burns nicely though! Jellyfish don’t

You clearly weren't using enough napalm.

Sea lice as in the ones that hide in cracks, or ones that live in the water? I've had the ones on the rocks fall down my shirt when climbing, not sure they bite but scratched about like hell and were pretty distracting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal