UKBouldering.com

Peak District Tick Watch (Read 30722 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 05:09:39 pm
Not successful ascents - tiny blood sucking disease vectors.

Sad to say I got my first tick in the Peak a couple of weeks back - at Wyming Brook.

Also had a crawler last Oct at Curbar. I seem to be very attractive to them (and midges) - had loads in Scotland - and very mindful of Lyme disease as a friend has had a very long and grim battle with it.

Be interested if folk have experienced increasing prevalence?

JohnM

• junky
#1 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 05:42:29 pm
Not the Peak District but I have already had 6 ticks over here in Austria. Two on my lower stomach, two on my thigh, one on my arse and one in the scrotal area. I am also quite concerned about Lyme's disease. I have had no bull's eye rashes but have had a couple of periods of being very achey and fatigued which always makes me wonder. It could well be just over-exercising and lack of sleep though.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 05:58:47 pm
Been clambered over underneath Mushin. I would be very wary of anywhere enclosed that sheep are liable to take shelter.

I don’t wear shorts if at all possible and changed my trousers to lighter colours so they’d be easier to spot. Lyme Disease seems worth making some effort to avoid tbh

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 06:04:24 pm
You checked out the https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk site JohnM? Good advice there I think.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 06:55:37 pm
This came up on my Facebook. Maybe worth sharing here (begin quote)

To the people I know in the Lakes, I picked this up on my feed and want to circulate it to all you outdoorsy types.

Hey everyone. Sorry to hijack the group a bit but Helen says you will understand. Just want to share some information without being alarmist or adding to your stress due to uncertain times. Also please confirm that the date is not April 1st.

I work in A&E in Whitehaven, Last week,by chance, we became aware that a positive test for the tick bourne disease 'Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever' had happened locally. We knew that the disease had reached Europe but did not know that it had reached the Cumbrian fells and woods. We have no idea how widespread it is but please be aware. It shows post-tick bite without a Lyme's style bullseye but with about 4-5 days malaise followed by a very typical little red spotted rash normally on ankles or the back of hands. This is the time to go to A&E or GP and get some antibiotics. Doxycycline is believed to be most effective. Your GP or A&E will assume you are drunk or have been consulting Dr Google but please persevere. It is a debilitating and long lasting illness with potential organ failure and a risk of encephalitis if untreated.

Sorry to share more 'bad news' but awareness will prevent problems. Please feel free to share as appropriate to friends or other woody workers. As I said we have no idea how widespread this is as yet.

Hope you are all well and healthy.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 07:26:33 pm
I picked one up a Burbage South last year. Either on the walk in across moor from Fox House or at the top of Cioch quarry.
On Sunday I added to my Peak ticklist with one picked up on Blackamoor.
Probably no coincidence that both areas are popular with the red deer.

sdm

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 12, 2020, 07:38:04 pm
It shows post-tick bite without a Lyme's style bullseye but with about 4-5 days malaise followed by a very typical little red spotted rash normally on ankles or the back of hands. This is the time to go to A&E or GP and get some antibiotics. Doxycycline is believed to be most effective. Your GP or A&E will assume you are drunk or have been consulting Dr Google but please persevere.
I was impressed at how seriously the pharmacist and doctor took things last year when I developed a red rash (not the typical bullseye) and swelling on the Thursday after being bitten on the leg in the Wye Valley on the Sunday.

Usually, it takes weeks and a lot of luck to get an appointment with my doctor. I saw the pharmacist at lunchtime after the swelling got rapidly worse during the work day and I developed a mild fever. I was seen by the doctor as quickly as I could drive over there.

I was tested for Lyme among other things. All tests came back negative and a course of antibiotics solved whatever it was but the swelling and fever got a lot worse before they got better. My leg resembled that of a morbidly obese pensioner who hadn't left their chair in years. By 3am on the Friday night, I was an hour or two away from going to hospital on the advice of 111 when the antibiotics kicked in rapidly. By Saturday afternoon I was walking again and on Sunday I was back climbing at the same crag (maybe not my smartest move) with just very mild swelling, a slight loss of sensation and lines of permanent marker all over my leg to indicate where the swelling had been at various stages.

galpinos

• forum hero
#7 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 06:53:25 am
How are people spotting them? As a gentleman at the more hirsute end of the spectrum, bar top of my head, they are quite hard to spot.

Having had a couple of disasters on Scottish mountain marathons, one in which I had about 50 across my lower legs, I get pretty paranoid when running now and normally wear tights and high socks regardless of weather. Climbing, however, my trousers are oft rolled up at the ankle.

galpinos

• forum hero
#8 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 07:02:07 am
By Saturday afternoon I was walking again and on Sunday I was back climbing at the same crag (maybe not my smartest move) with just very mild swelling, a slight loss of sensation and lines of permanent marker all over my leg to indicate where the swelling had been at various stages.

I was bitten by something on my lower leg whilst running along the Mersey a coupe of years ago. Red rash, swelling, hot and sore to the touch very quickly. I did the marker thing and toddled off to the GP. They, however, were not that fussed. I ended up with permanent marker all over my leg, which bore resemblance to an uncooked and over stuffed sausage, with no indication of where my ankle was.  Whilst arguing with the GP to change to a different antibiotic (on the advice of my wife, a doctor, from a family of doctors) I said, "I really need this sorting, I'm going to Croatia for a wedding on Saturday" and the GP's response was, "Just wear some trousers, I'm not sure people will be looking at you, they'll be watching the happy couple".

Managed to get the anitbiotics, set off to the wedding and the whole thing exploded in a world of grimness in the airport. Spent quite a while in the airport toilets with antiseptic wipes and some wound dressing with my wife outside shouting, "Can I come in and squeeze it, it's so satisfying".

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#9 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 08:19:08 am
Not the Peak District but I have already had 6 ticks over here in Austria. Two on my lower stomach, two on my thigh, one on my arse and one in the scrotal area. I am also quite concerned about Lyme's disease. I have had no bull's eye rashes but have had a couple of periods of being very achey and fatigued which always makes me wonder. It could well be just over-exercising and lack of sleep though.

Where are you based John? I am in Vienna. I've had ~10 bites this year so far, they absolutely love me for some reason. Most were removed within a couple of hours so I am not too concerned. After bashing through the forest the other day I got home and removed about 15 hikers and a 5 or so bites - pretty grim. I think I will be wearing long sleeves and elastic band around the ankles and wrists from now on in that area.

I've just had a tick borne encephalitis vaccine but I think we are still a few years away from a Lyme vaccine (at least).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#10 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 09:15:11 am
Climbing, however, my trousers are oft rolled up at the ankle.

Do you use DEET?

galpinos

• forum hero
#11 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 09:20:59 am
Climbing, however, my trousers are oft rolled up at the ankle.

Do you use DEET?

I have started too, but with mixed success.

JohnM

• junky
#12 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 09:37:11 am
Where are you based John? I am in Vienna. I've had ~10 bites this year so far, they absolutely love me for some reason. Most were removed within a couple of hours so I am not too concerned. After bashing through the forest the other day I got home and removed about 15 hikers and a 5 or so bites - pretty grim. I think I will be wearing long sleeves and elastic band around the ankles and wrists from now on in that area.

I've just had a tick borne encephalitis vaccine but I think we are still a few years away from a Lyme vaccine (at least).

I am based in Innsbruck. They seem to love me too whereas my girlfriend never gets them. I do have a tendency to go bushwhacking off the trail though looking at various bits of rock in the forest! I haven't had the encephalitis vaccine yet. Really need to get that done.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#13 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 09:40:49 am
How are people spotting them? As a gentleman at the more hirsute end of the spectrum, bar top of my head, they are quite hard to spot.

I find hairy legs actually help. I've picked loads from my hair before they've managed to penetrate. But long trouser tucked into socks and a healthy spray of DEET apparently helps.

And we all know no vaseline, no burning, no squeezing right? Tick hooks are available for less than half a fuckall, the card type can fit into your phone case.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 09:51:33 am
Has anyone tried treating clothes etc. with permethrin? Or using a picaridin/saltidin based repellent like Smidge? I've contemplated using permethrin but decided I'm not really comfortable with its broad-spectrum lethality to insects - I don't mind it killing ticks but don't want to leave a trail of dead pollinators in my wake.

JamieG

• forum hero
#15 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 12:31:45 pm
This whole thread is giving me the creeps! I hate ticks. Grim little things. They were bad in petrohrad in the czech republic when we where there last summer. Weirdly I've never had one bite me. Found them on me plenty of times. Everyone else we went with had at least one if not several. Dogs get them all the time.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 12:57:21 pm
Has anyone tried treating clothes etc. with permethrin? Or using a picaridin/saltidin based repellent like Smidge? I've contemplated using permethrin but decided I'm not really comfortable with its broad-spectrum lethality to insects - I don't mind it killing ticks but don't want to leave a trail of dead pollinators in my wake.
My last tick attack (Cornwall last summer) I found they loved my decathlon grey soft shell - and my Grey moon satellite/small/footwiping pad. No interest in anything else. Really weird.

cofe

• forum hero
#17 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:07:49 pm
Hmm. Been recently thinking I should start carrying a tick thingy. Something like this?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#18 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:12:01 pm
Lyme Disease Action sell a few on their site, see link: https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/what-we-are-doing/shop/
I got one of the o tom twister things but haven't used it in anger.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#19 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:13:12 pm
I've got a pair of tick tools I carry but to be honest I rarely find ticks until I'm back home and the tools rarely work as well as fingernails.

Getting into the habit of tucking my trousers in before going in bracken/ heather and brushing my trousers down afterwards.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#20 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:14:33 pm
Those are a bit fiddly and could break if left lying in a pack / wallet / etc for a few months / years. Just get the hooks, they are recommended by Lyme Watch etc and watch a vid on appropriate use.

If you ever get bitten, keep the body of the removed tick in a fold of bogroll or a little bank bag so it can be tested if you come down with anything.

Fingernails, you can squeeze the tick, or leave mouthparts behind. Best persevere with twisting

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:27:15 pm
The Cornwall fuckers were tiny. Tweezers job. Tick removal thingy just too blunt...

Bradders

• forum hero
#22 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 01:53:12 pm
But long trouser tucked into socks and a healthy spray of DEET apparently helps.

Yeah if I'm going somewhere I know I might be at risk then I always wear full length light coloured trousers, tucked into socks, and then douse those down with DEET. Usually do that for the walk in and then change into shorts if it's hot when I get to the crag and am just stood on pads etc.

I hate ticks, amazing how some people seem so relaxed about them. I've found quite a few on me over the years (never in the Peak) but never had a bite as I'm always pretty vigilant about checking for them whilst climbing / after the walk in. I think DEET maybe helps with this, I.e. slows them down and makes them less likely to bite? Giving you time to find them on you before if you're checking regularly.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#23 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 02:08:44 pm
Must admit after several incidents I'm a bit relaxed about them, but the first few times it's pretty grim. Creag Dubh is the worst I've ever encountered, the crag is overun with feral goats. We stupidly walked off the top of the route we did in rock shoes without socks and i removed well over a dozen from from each leg at the bottom.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#24 Re: Peak District Tick Watch
May 13, 2020, 02:50:46 pm
I have had bloody loads of Ticks. Mainly from the Lakes, but Northumberland, Cornwall and Yorkshire. I have even had one in December when it was snowing!!!

Not sure if this is correct, maybe someone can add clarity, but I do remember reading that, if you get them out within the first 12hrs you are usually okay? Something about that Lyme disease being released when the Tick is trying to release itself from you?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal