UKBouldering.com

Did you climb during lockdown's 1st phase? (Read 10329 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
For the purposes of brevity I've called this thread "Did you climb during lockdown's 1st phase?". What that really means is did you climb outdoors in the UK during the period from the start of lockdown to the time that rules on outdoor exercise in England were relaxed on the 13th May. Obviously lockdown continues, just in another form, and the rules will now be different for those in Scotland/Wales/NI and we don't know yet what the BMC's position will be on what climbing may/may not be acceptable yet.

Just a straw poll. I was going to subdivide into "Yes - trad with my household"/"Yes - solo top roping"/"Yes - bouldering with others"/"Yes - scrambling" etc etc etc but the options were just too many.

If you answer "yes", there's no need to describe your experiences. Anonymous is fine.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Are you including yourself as ‘yes’ for climbing on those 3ft boulders?

dunnyg

• forum hero
No pain aux raisins.  :thumbsdown:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Are you including yourself as ‘yes’ for climbing on those 3ft boulders?

What's your Dawn Wall?  :)

Let's define climbing as something that you put rock shoes on for.

36chambers

• forum hero
So what did you put Will?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

I habitually don't answer a UKB poll that I've created straight away as I don't want to influence whether or how other people vote. I'll mark my answer later.

Bradders

• forum hero
I have my pitchfork ready.

Lopez

• stalker
I was in Cornwal when the lockdown started, and on the way home on day 2 of lockdown i stopped at Helman Tor for an evening session as i knew it'd be the last chance to climb in a long time, so that's a yes from me.

For the record i didnt kill anybody, didn't need to be rescued by 20 MRT personnel and 2 helicopters, and didn't take up an ICU hospital bed

36chambers

• forum hero

I habitually don't answer a UKB poll that I've created straight away as I don't want to influence whether or how other people vote. I'll mark my answer later.

how commendable of you

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

So if I’d gone to the cliff and done a circuit in my tennies would that be a no?

No one can see the answers to the poll until they vote, which is why you need a pain au raisin option.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

So if I’d gone to the cliff and done a circuit in my tennies would that be a no?

I think if you went climbing then you probably know that you went climbing.

No one can see the answers to the poll until they vote, which is why you need a pain au raisin option.

Nuh uh, there's normally a button underneath the options saying "show votes" or something like that?

tomtom

• forum hero
I went dry tooling at Almscliff - but that doesnt count because its not Bouldering right?

petejh

• forum hero
Sport climbing is neither, right?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I'm amazed how many Yes responses there are. I thought it would be much lower than that.

If anybody wanted to PM me with something to post anonymously then I don't mind that.

Potash

• menacing presence
There have been a steady trickle of people climbing on the outdoor artificial boulders in and around London. (and artificially located lumps of granite)

Anecdotally some people have been moved on by the police and some boulders are now encased in barriers. When my "friend" happened to be a such a location he saw park security moving people on. They had brought bouldering mats so hardly subtle.

Obviously this does not count as outdoor climbing as its not real rock? Not sure what the score is now.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
I was tempted by a spot of bouldering on Clachnaben, but the 48km with 1600m of ascent round trip on my mountain bike with a bouldering mat on my back put me off.

Bradders

• forum hero
I'm amazed how many Yes responses there are. I thought it would be much lower than that.

If anybody wanted to PM me with something to post anonymously then I don't mind that.

Yeah likewise - do that many live in walking distance of places? Would be interesting how many have driven to venues outside walking distance.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I was tempted by a spot of bouldering on Clachnaben, but the 48km with 1600m of ascent round trip on my mountain bike with a bouldering mat on my back put me off.

The coast has the most.

lemony

• player
I'm a no, I've been on the board. I have however walked past Jesmond Dene quarry/boulders half a dozen times and on every occasion except one (when it was drizzling) there have been people on them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
In spite of above comment, I've not been on rock either, although did take kids for a scramble along beach to the cave under Underbelly and through the "eye" at Harbour wall. No rock shoes on, so doesn't count.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
A couple of pals who live within striking distance of Caley went out for a walk and to do a bit of pruning around the boulders. Apparently there were a "few young boulderers hiding in the bushes".

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I sneaked out for short dawn fishing sessions on 3 occasions :whistle:

I caught lots of tench and some small carp but wasn't able to spout about them on SM so not sure if it counts...

HarryBD

• player
I've puntered round at Shipley Glen in approach shoes, run to thimble stones on Ilkley Moor, run past Eldwick quarry about 15 times and not seen anyone

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Did you climb at Thimble Stones? About as low as they come!

HarryBD

• player
Yep just ticked the easy stuff and jogged home again. Lovely evening

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal