UKBouldering.com

Post lockdown bouldering etiquette (Read 11692 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Post lockdown bouldering etiquette
May 06, 2020, 03:01:37 pm
Jumping the gun a bit (though better discussed beforehand) I’m interested in views on what changed behaviour folk might expect of each other in particular at busy venues with respect transmission risk, safety and minimising visibility public/landowner disapproval.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I’m just going to do what I always do.

Smile at other Boulderers, slightly, in greeting; whilst indicating with overt body language an aversion to conversation or further civility. Call out if you need an ambulance, otherwise...

Snarl at walkers and day trippers, occasionally lob rocks, when they come too close.

Have loud, inexplicable, tantrums, swear nautically about foot slippage, damp holds, unexpected sharp bits.
Throw pad/shoes at other inanimate objects.

Give up and read book, whilst drinking coffee.

Get home and claim it was “really great” or “I really feel alive, y’know” and “I’ve nearly got it, just need to link it up”.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I'd expect people to gracefully move on if I'm already at a particular sector / boulder.

Conversely, I like to think that I'd have a quick crack at something then move on rather than hog a problem / area for an extended period of time...

abarro81

• forum hero
- If others are already climbing and you can't keep >2m apart then go elsewhere or wait it out politely. This probably means having multiple bail options lined up for when the crag you planned to go to turns out to already have people there.

- Don't climb with people from outside your household

- Don't break the social distancing rules above, but if you're going to break them then at least don't do it at a crag where walkers or locals won't see you

- Don't do shit that feels dangerous. If you are going to do it, then do it roadside so you don't have to do a 40min walk out on a broken ankle

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Do what I always do, wander off into the wilderness and climb some Esoteric pebble untouched by human gaze let alone hand, then leave it to resume its lonely vigil.
Don't break myself, sort out my own cock ups should they occur. I may avoid highballs, at least until I've run out of lowballs.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I will continue to assume that I am infected and that any misstep I do will spread it to people with type 2 diabetes and other  underlying conditions.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Ultimately, we have to see what the government advice is. I believe in some countries they've been allowed to climb with someone from outside their household, provided that it's always the same person. Imagine the pressure of picking a partner, knowing that they're you're only rope-holder for the forseeable!

But other than that...:

TA DA!
www.unknownstones.com

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Also, this whole 2m thing is complete bollocks, is it not? Have you never walked behind a smoker at a distance greater than 2m? Are you telling me that virus particles are somehow so incredibly dense that they plummet to the ground as soon as they leave someone's mouth?

petejh

• forum hero
- stick to venues without known access issues.
- if possible choose less public venues over more public venues.
- stay within your local county, at most crossing one county boundary. 
- follow guidance which doesn't exist yet from climbing's representative body, on which venues to avoid because access is considered especially sensitive.
- if challenged by members of the public act with courtesy and politely explain the low risks inherent in bouldering and what you're doing to stick to social distancing measures. Remember people may be filming what you do and what you say.
- follow advice which doesn't exist yet from climbing's representative body, on best practice for bouldering post-lockdown.
- carry a small bottle of hand sanitiser and use while at the crag.
- consider wearing a mask.
- avoid venues where social distancing can't be achieved.
- climb only with members of your household. If revised guidance allows out-of-household congregations, stick to the numbers advised in the guidance.
- obviously no climbing if showing any symptoms of covid.
- don't come to Wales unless you want a pitchfork up your arse.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

www.unknownstones.com

Imagine walking 45 mins into some esoteric choss to try the one good problem then finding someone else there 😂

tomtom

• forum hero
Unusually - what Barrows said :) With a smattering of OMM.

Also use I’ll use more liquid chalk - that from what I can deduce is basically hand sanitiser (alcohol based) with some Sticky resin and chalk Mixed into it...

Oh - and avoid anything that is plastered with chalk or that another party has just been on (or be very careful).

I’m quite happy being on my own when climbing - and often choose to be (avoiding others) so not anticipating anything too bad.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
Also, this whole 2m thing is complete bollocks, is it not? Have you never walked behind a smoker at a distance greater than 2m? Are you telling me that virus particles are somehow so incredibly dense that they plummet to the ground as soon as they leave someone's mouth?

Yeah it probably is.

Our policy at work following aerosol generating procedures (including surgery, intubation, etc) is to leave operating theatres for at least 20 mins before they are deep cleaned to allow for particles to settle.

If someone coughs all over the place in a supermarket isle I doubt very much that the area is locked down for 20 mins. And if they touch an item after coughing into their hand needless to say that is also a risk that overcomes social distancing.

That’s why social distancing is only part of a policy. It does reduce the amount of people crammed into a space at any one time, but does not negate the need to simply stay at home if it can be helped. And it also explains why we are still seeing new infections in our hospital and intensive care unit, albeit at a contained rate that is well within our capacity to cope.

abarro81

• forum hero
Although 2m may be bollocks, you probably need a line somewhere right - no distancing is clearly more dangerous, 200m clearly less dangerous. But when you rock up and are working out whether you're too close to someone, or whether you want to ask others to stay further away, 2m is an easy one to use because it's been in the media a lot. Otherwise you need to have a conversation with the people who just rocked up about how really you think 10m is more appropriate even if the gov say 2m etc... This may obviously be less relevant on esoterica, but it will undoubtedly occur at most peak lime venues

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
Exactly, and 2m reduces crowding and therefore spread even if it isn’t a magic number. All the policies are designed to reduce, not stop, spread with the ultimate goal of getting R0 below 1.

owensum

• player
The 2m guidance is based on droplet transmission. Droplets move in air totally differently from smoke, to quote your example, and generally do drop to the ground. Aerosol transmission, on the other hand, travels much further, and would be more akin to smoke.
It is thought that droplet transmission is the primary driver of community spread. Aerosol transmission is not thought to be a major driver, but it is unclear having said that. It is believed to play an important role in spread within hospitals because of the number of aerosol-generating procedures (so I'm told, dont ask for further clarification here because thats all I got).

Doylo

• forum hero
I usually fuck off if there’s someone else at the crag anyway.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
The 2m guidance is based on droplet transmission. Droplets move in air totally differently from smoke, to quote your example, and generally do drop to the ground. Aerosol transmission, on the other hand, travels much further, and would be more akin to smoke.
It is thought that droplet transmission is the primary driver of community spread. Aerosol transmission is not thought to be a major driver, but it is unclear having said that. It is believed to play an important role in spread within hospitals because of the number of aerosol-generating procedures (so I'm told, dont ask for further clarification here because thats all I got).

Yeah, that is an important distinction. Personally I’d be surprised if AGPs were responsible for the spread in hospital. That’s not based on any specific science purely on the observation that no ITU staff (that I know of) have died from this coronavirus because they are wearing FFP3 masks. On the wards away from the AGPs they are wearing fluid resistant surgical masks and getting covid. They are of course having direct patient contact inside the 2m radius.

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
Back on topic, I reckon I’ll be doing some unpopular Portland bouldering on a weekday when I get the chance.

Rob F

• menacing presence
Spotting your mate from >2 meters away makes for an amusing photo / utube.

Everyone's head game will be gone after this extended fingerboard workout. Best to stick to the low stuff.

Seeing as though everyone's going to the 'unknown stones' crags, think I'll just go to the regular crags and stay away from the crowds.

People will have to risk assess for themselves if they feel happy going on a popular problem / crag that has multiple daily ascents, even if everyone gone home for the day.

Probably better going out the day after a big storm to blow the cobwebs away.

Speaking of which we have had the best connies in living history this spring. Grrrrrr...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
- If others are already climbing and you can't keep >2m apart then go elsewhere or wait it out politely. This probably means having multiple bail options lined up for when the crag you planned to go to turns out to already have people there.

- Don't climb with people from outside your household

- Don't break the social distancing rules above, but if you're going to break them then at least don't do it at a crag where walkers or locals won't see you

- Don't do shit that feels dangerous. If you are going to do it, then do it roadside so you don't have to do a 40min walk out on a broken ankle

I think this is basically the long and the short of it. I think expressly saying certain crags are a bad idea because they are popular will just make other crags popular instead. Better to include as many as possible (basically all those where there are no access issues) and hope people are sensible? Cant see another way apart from eterno lockdown.

Interesting question: are we going to see a spike in outdoor climbing due to the walls being shut or (more likely I think) will we see an initial spike, likely followed by a return to the norm as people realise outdoor climbing is hard, you have to walk in and the bolts are a long way apart/ on most climbing in the UK there arent any?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I usually fuck off if there’s someone else at the crag anyway.

Most sensible people do the same if they arrive at the crag and you are there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Do what I always do, wander off into the wilderness and climb some Esoteric pebble untouched by human gaze let alone hand, then leave it to resume its lonely vigil.
Don't break myself, sort out my own cock ups should they occur. I may avoid highballs, at least until I've run out of lowballs.

Pretty much this. Might buy another pad just to be sure.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
classic British Spotting now shown to have value

stand away from the climber with hands in pockets, preferably looking the other way

win win win oof

sdm

• forum abuser
- stay within your local county, at most crossing one county boundary.
I presume this was included just to annoy the Sheffield residents?

Rob F

• menacing presence
Shark's just put a bid in for that derelict farm building on the left of the path on the walk into Malham...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal