UKBouldering.com

Neil Carson interview now live (Read 14087 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#25 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 02:15:01 pm

petejh

• forum hero
#26 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 05:51:22 pm
Funny to think that was written 23 years ago and yet still today it's probably(?) unrealistic to imagine any of the current crop of brit climbers other than McClure suggesting a downgrade of a 9a ascent. Needs a eurowadTM who's done a slew of them to give an objective view, or McClure to retire to Llandudno. Chances of either are probably similarly slim!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#27 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 05:57:34 pm
Steve’s not psyched for BB (or moving to Llandudno)

Maybe Pete Dawson might be interested after he’s done with Mutation - he lives in Manchester

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 06:32:14 pm
Simon thanks for that, enjoyed filling in the gaps of the history of Neil and his association with LPT. As was mentioned by someone else on here I too felt it was one of the untold stories of British climbing.

When I started climbing I think I overlapped with Neil in his prime. Watching him at west view, cliffs barn and longridge was inspiration even though as a beginner I bet I didn't really know how good he was. He just looked ripped and effortless.

In fact I used to see him arrive at longridge on his rode bike, don his climbing shoes and chalk bag, get on at the left, traverse all the way across and come straight back without stepping off. Never breaking a sweat and smiling the whole way. Then just get back on his bike and cycle off. Climbing in his cycle shorts was kinda cool too.
I really hope he wasn't there the day I feel off, this was  back when the cows used to share the field.... I came off badly, pretty much head first, arms out to break my fall only to be greated by one of them cowpats that has turned crusty on the outside by gooey on the inside.

Wish my mouth had not been open... not cool...  :no:

gme

• forum hero
#29 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 06:50:52 pm

Maybe Pete Dawson might be interested after he’s done with Mutation - he lives in Manchester

Surprised Steve’s not interested it’s a pretty similar drive to Malham. History, quality, within driving distance. Would have thought with a bit of on the spot updates you could get conditions checked before travel.

gme

• forum hero
#30 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 06:53:35 pm
Interview was great Simon. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doylo

• forum hero
#31 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 07:00:42 pm

Surprised Steve’s not interested it’s a pretty similar drive to Malham. History, quality, within driving distance. Would have thought with a bit of on the spot updates you could get conditions checked before travel.

He’s not done any of the hard ones downstairs so obviously can’t be arsed with it.

gme

• forum hero
#32 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 07:04:39 pm
Surprises me again as they are quality. Conditions no more fickle than kilnsey and he could do them all relatively easily.

Doylo

• forum hero
#33 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 07:23:24 pm
He’s been on Liquid, Sea of and BB and not been back to finish any of them. I don’t think conditions are any worse. Kilnsey is wet most the time. Malham is boiling a lot of the time. LPT hardly seeps.  Main thing is the tides which is a pain if not local. And not great when humid but that goes for most the sport crags.

gme

• forum hero
#34 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 07:52:45 pm
Must be just shite then like Megos said.

Stabbsy

• junky
#35 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 07:56:24 pm
In fact I used to see him arrive at longridge on his rode bike, don his climbing shoes and chalk bag, get on at the left, traverse all the way across and come straight back without stepping off. Never breaking a sweat and smiling the whole way. Then just get back on his bike and cycle off. Climbing in his cycle shorts was kinda cool too.
I really hope he wasn't there the day I feel off, this was  back when the cows used to share the field.... I came off badly, pretty much head first, arms out to break my fall only to be greated by one of them cowpats that has turned crusty on the outside by gooey on the inside.

Completely off-topic, but I remember Lovatt telling me that you couldn’t consider yourself a Longridge local until you’d landed arse first on a cow pat. I think he gave it a name - “The Longridge Botty Slap” or something like that.

petejh

• forum hero
#36 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 08:05:39 pm
He’s been on Liquid, Sea of and BB and not been back to finish any of them. I don’t think conditions are any worse. Kilnsey is wet most the time. Malham is boiling a lot of the time. LPT hardly seeps.  Main thing is the tides which is a pain if not local. And not great when humid but that goes for most the sport crags.

New 9a+ there for him too if he wanted it. Great rock, independent line, tiny crimps, got his name all over it.

Doylo

• forum hero
#37 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 08:08:07 pm
Must be just shite then like Megos said.

Probably is shite if you’ve onsighted 9a and fall off Statement  :lol:

Doylo

• forum hero
#38 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 08:09:46 pm

New 9a+ there for him too if he wanted it. Great rock, independent line, tiny crimps, got his name all over it.

Has to keep the name though.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#39 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 08:54:01 pm

I dread to think - Gang Bang?

Doylo

• forum hero
#40 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 09:52:11 pm

You have such a low opinion of me.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#41 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
April 30, 2020, 10:03:24 pm

You have such a low opinion of me.
You should come over to Colorado Doylo:
https://www.mountainproject.com/route/106500026/gang-bang

jern

• menacing presence
#42 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 03:58:35 am

Completely off-topic, but I remember Lovatt telling me that you couldn’t consider yourself a Longridge local until you’d landed arse first on a cow pat. I think he gave it a name - “The Longridge Botty Slap” or something like that.

Ha ha - happened to me in summer 1990. Fell off arse first into a cow pat. It was pretty fresh and the cow was obviously well hydrated so it soaked though my Ron Hills and into my undies. Wouldn't have been a problem but afterwards i was going straight out on the lash in Preston.

Didn't pull that night

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 09:22:38 am
Small mercy probably.

Murph

• forum abuser
#44 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 10:28:51 am
Never heard of Neil before. Loved that interview. He came across as such a level headed person climbing for really modest internal motivators - as a lot of good climbers do - and it's great to see. Amazing really. Thanks shark.

UnkArl

• player
#45 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 12:55:19 pm
Thanks for that Shark, really interesting interview. It ends rather abruptly, or is that just me?

Be interesting to get a “response” from Mr Petts About why Neil was never mentioned.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#46 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 01:54:01 pm
Thanks for that Shark, really interesting interview. It ends rather abruptly, or is that just me?

Sorry didn’t round it off well and so cut it off at a point where we started talking about mutual friends and family stuff for another 40 minutes.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#47 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 02:52:38 pm
And thanks again for all the  positive comments  :wub:

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#48 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 02:55:23 pm

Wish my mouth had not been open... not cool...  :no:
Jesus Christ Jordan that's grim! :blink: :sick:

Rob F

• menacing presence
#49 Re: Neil Carson interview now live
May 01, 2020, 04:15:08 pm
Legend: he came, he conquered and disappeared off to France to spend time with his family.

What would make him Superlegend would be a mega comeback, and to make the first repeat of Rainman...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal