UKBouldering.com

Lockdown training fails (Read 10794 times)

jstrongman

• player
  • http://vimeo.com/user4955702
#25 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 29, 2020, 02:10:24 pm
I particularly impressed by how blase he was about losing finger nails :sick: while training the ruler pull ups! 

I think pinky pulls could be trained safely with a pulley system although by my current calculations this would require approximately ~70kg on the pulley!! The beer drinking part can also be trained although I note that was were Ondra failed!

a13c

• regular
#26 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 01, 2020, 07:20:30 pm
When the lockdown was announced I fingerboarded every 2-3 days (normal outside climbing intervals) for the first couple of weeks. This made my right hand Dupuytren's sore and tight but my left hand was fine. They never really get sore when proper climbing.
So my "one arm" plans are back on the probably never wishlist.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#27 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 01, 2020, 08:38:10 pm

Knife, onion and a fucking idiot, buys you six steristrips and a couple hours in MIU...

And screws yer training.

petejh

• forum hero
#28 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 01, 2020, 09:16:22 pm
Wow Beth’s legs are hairy for a girl. I like her attitude though. Since the lockdown started I’ve been enjoying binging on beer and pringles every Friday night. Have put on about half a stone, fine by me as I know when the time comes I can lose it just as quickly. Doing on average 1 FB sesh a week and it doesn’t involve pushing the added weight beyond ‘maintenance’ level. Trying to maintain forearm aerobic fitness by avoiding being shot while traversing at secret quiet spot x once or twice a week.  Power is currently right down at bumbly levels, wish I had a board. I have various new route projects I’d love to send this year and it started to dawn on me last week that lockdown will end soon and we’ll suddenly be allowed out to play. If this year isn’t to be only a trad resting upwards year then I should probably begin ramping up the training starting this weekend.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 01, 2020, 11:28:18 pm
Wow Beth’s legs are hairy for a girl. I like her attitude though. Since the lockdown started I’ve been enjoying binging on beer and pringles every Friday night. 
Whaaat! Only every Friday night? I knew I was doing something wrong.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#30 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 05:42:36 am
I've done naff all for a few weeks. My reasoning being that I can't sustain a long period of fingerboard training without tooling myself in some way.

I also can't be arsed.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#31 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 08:43:11 am
Knife, onion and a fucking idiot, buys you six steristrips and a couple hours in MIU...

That's more steristrips but way less fucking idiocy than I managed with a stick blender a couple of weeks back (top tip: don't use your finger to unclog the blades while your other hand is still on the control buttons).

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#32 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 09:03:18 am

That's more steristrips but way less fucking idiocy than I managed with a stick blender a couple of weeks back (top tip: don't use your finger to unclog the blades while your other hand is still on the control buttons).

My late wife did exactly the same thing, prepping baby food, four hours before we were meant to get on a 9 hr flight. Drove herself and baby to the ER in Jebil Ali (wrong way for the airport and I was still at work). Four stitches later, she met me at the airport, with all our luggage, a baby on her hip and finally let me know what happened.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#33 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 10:04:18 am
Since France locked down on March 14th, I have made no training gains, which is a shame because de confinement looks likely to end a week on Monday. So I have a week to get fit, lose some weight and prepare for what will most likely be a continuation of the wet, humid weather we currently have. A whole spring season gone!

In perspective though, these are small tribulations.  It's looking likely that with increasing worries about kids and virus loads etc, that we won't be sending our daughters back to creche and school. This decision seems like one that many others will make, posing mighty problems for Macron and his plan to re start the economy. I think this problem won't be confined to just France either.

ali k

• junky
#34 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 10:18:15 am
No way, I thought I was unique in my stupidity. I did the exact same thing a few months ago!

Ged

• junky
#35 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 07:23:41 pm
Since France locked down on March 14th, I have made no training gains, which is a shame because de confinement looks likely to end a week on Monday. So I have a week to get fit, lose some weight and prepare for what will most likely be a continuation of the wet, humid weather we currently have. A whole spring season gone!

In perspective though, these are small tribulations.  It's looking likely that with increasing worries about kids and virus loads etc, that we won't be sending our daughters back to creche and school. This decision seems like one that many others will make, posing mighty problems for Macron and his plan to re start the economy. I think this problem won't be confined to just France either.

I thought latest stuff was saying viral load isn't as much of an important factor as once thought?

Andy W

• forum abuser
#36 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 07:51:57 pm

I thought latest stuff was saying viral load isn't as much of an important factor as once thought?

Below is the article that I'm using as reference. There does seem to be in France a groundswell of opinion against sending kids back to school.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/children-as-likely-to-spread-coronavirus-as-adults-says-scientist

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#37 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 02, 2020, 08:27:48 pm
Surely there's enough threads discussing coronavirus without this one being taken over as well.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#38 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 11:14:30 am
No way, I thought I was unique in my stupidity. I did the exact same thing a few months ago!

I'm impressed to know that I'm not unique in my stupidity!

In my case, I seem to have got away with not going to A&E -- the NHS 111 website was equivocal when I put in the details, said it depended how deep the main cut was, and I didn't fancy removing all the duct tape and wound pads holding my finger together at that point in order to have a look.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#39 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 11:18:38 am
For the first 5-6 weeks I managed to keep my weight down at a reasonable level despite doing very little apart from sitting in front of a computer, but then I really ballooned: mostly thanks to wine and desperate boredom. The dreaded "last third" of the isolation is a real phenomena, and it surely put strain on relationships as well.

Now I will try to combine boredom, anxiety and starvation for the remaining of the time until May 11th.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#40 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 11:34:59 am
I'm currently well over half a stone over fighting weight. I've not run in about 3 weeks, as of Friday I'm doing run 5k every day in May challenge, so hopefully things will start to get under better control.

ali k

• junky
#41 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 11:52:07 am

I'm impressed to know that I'm not unique in my stupidity!

In my case, I seem to have got away with not going to A&E -- the NHS 111 website was equivocal when I put in the details, said it depended how deep the main cut was, and I didn't fancy removing all the duct tape and wound pads holding my finger together at that point in order to have a look.
I was lucky as my nail was on the blade side so it took most of the impact. But my nail got completely shredded in the process.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#42 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 12:52:19 pm
For the first 5-6 weeks I managed to keep my weight down at a reasonable level despite doing very little apart from sitting in front of a computer, but then I really ballooned: mostly thanks to wine and desperate boredom. The dreaded "last third" of the isolation is a real phenomena, and it surely put strain on relationships as well.

Now I will try to combine boredom, anxiety and starvation for the remaining of the time until May 11th.

This is an interesting topic.

I am not gloating, just describing.

Here, we’re quite content and actually having less tantrums (adults and kids) than is the norm. Kids spend normal school hours in the kitchen, at the table, working. They’re all four on the same timetables as they would normally be. No video chat, but can live message teachers as required. Work set on Google classroom. Polly has settled into the role of TA. I have done an enormous amount of work around the house and garden, as well as business stuff etc.

But, both Polly and I are Merchant (and RN) Navy, from Navy families. We both just feel like we’re at sea and settle into the little space we have and tweak it to make it better. I ripped the banisters off the stairs yesterday, to make the hallway feel bigger. Now the kids are all teens, it’s like six adults in the house and when we do take a walk (once a week) everyone trying to get coats and through the front door together is frickin evil and that’s before you add in the three excited dogs...

Anyway, my question, are we naturally inclined to this state? Is it that we’re from families that have several generations of maritime life? Just programmed to be cooped up?
Or is it learned? I can’t think of any great mind tricks or coping techniques that I’m aware of using.

So, who else is ok? Why do you think you’re ok?

If you’re not, why not? What grips your shit the most?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#43 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 01:06:53 pm
Here, we’re quite content and actually having less tantrums (adults and kids) than is the norm.

I ripped the banisters off the stairs yesterday

:-\  ;)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#44 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 01:19:37 pm
I was totally fine until the end was in sight. Apparently this is very common, and well described in the literature.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#45 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 01:23:21 pm
Here, we’re quite content and actually having less tantrums (adults and kids) than is the norm.

I ripped the banisters off the stairs yesterday

:-\  ;)

Yes, it does sound like an Incredible Hulk moment...

I used my impact driver and unscrewed it neatly and patched the carpet to hide the scars.

I shall be making a box seat with the timber. 😇

Andy W

• forum abuser
#46 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 04, 2020, 01:50:31 pm
I was totally fine until the end was in sight. Apparently this is very common, and well described in the literature.

With the end in sight, I've found it a bit easier...thinking that I only have a few more low motivation sessions to go!

Andy W

• forum abuser
#47 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 11, 2020, 11:24:57 am
DE confinement in France. I'm half a kilo heavier, same fitness more or less, bottle of wine a day alcoholic (edit, maybe not quite that much)...and it's raining and looks like it will all week... back to the board  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:36:18 am by Andy W »

Ged

• junky
#48 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 11, 2020, 11:51:27 am
Stuck at home and not allowed to go climbing? No worries, I'll turn into Devon's answer to Kilian Jornet and win every race in the autumn.  Who would've thought a massive increase in training load would cause injury in someone in their late 30's? Achilles tendonitis and calf strain.  Balls. 

Am I alone in feeling slightly daunted by the end of lockdown? I sympathise with Matt's feelings.  We have definitely found our routine, and are pretty happy trucking along in and around our village.  Exercise and fresh air, plenty to keep the kid entertained. 

The prospect of having to decide what to do with a day, and then sort the logistics to make it happen fills me with terror. 

Motown

• regular
#49 Re: Lockdown training fails
May 11, 2020, 12:04:14 pm

Common and frustrating in schools/university - students quitting shortly before the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal