UKBouldering.com

Lockdown training fails (Read 10801 times)

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
Lockdown training fails
April 25, 2020, 06:39:34 pm
Am I alone here, I’ve been ostensibly training Since lockdown began (in France) I’ve plateaued several weeks ago, my elbows hurt and I’ve put on weight!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 25, 2020, 11:33:19 pm
I’m really struggling for motivation. I whipped myself into reasonable shape over winter in anticipation of spring and summer, only for lockdown to kick in just as the weather got good.

I think if I knew when it was going to finish I might be able to focus more, but at the moment I kinda think why bother.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 09:20:12 am
I’m quite fit and quite strong, but I’ve not been “climbing” fit for some time and despite a fairly strong comeback last spring/summer, I herniated a disc last September and lost around four months of any sort of exercise. Ironically, I started climbing again at the end of January, despite being on the road (attending courses) through Jan and to mid Mar. Got some quality time in in TCA Glasgow. Returned home, to the fucking wall I own, only to close the place entirely four days later.

Now, we have deep cleaned the place and I have to inspect the premises, regularly, so I decided a “hold and structure” inspection was a good idea.

Only to tear/strain badly my hamstring, heel hooking last week. Tried again yesterday. Agony.

Also, despite losing some weight, I’m still 10 kg too heavy.

Because snacks.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 09:32:35 am
Ouch!

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 11:04:38 am
Torn hamstrings are a fucker Matt - really painful and slow to heal.

On the upside, I’ve found you can still do a lot of climbing while they are on the mend, so long as you are careful and very disciplined about not doing moves that pull on them.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 11:27:42 am
Can't resist linking The Onion:

https://local.theonion.com/man-not-sure-why-he-thought-most-psychologically-taxing-1843004933

And a much more serious article which is making a similar point:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-You-Should-Ignore-All-That/248366

This is a traumatic and incredible stressful event that we're all going through here. Loading on extra pressure to be at maximum psyche and crushing our training all the time seems ... unhelpful.

I'm all for training as a way to keep moving, not go totally stir-crazy, avoid losing too much climbing strength, give me some structure to my day and some small goals I have a lot of control over.

But yeah, we can probably afford to be kinder to ourselves.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 11:44:17 am
Aw Slabs, you should see my garden!

Hadn’t touched it in two years, it was just a mass of chest high brambles and ivy.

But I kicked that suckers ass. I feel almost domesticated.

Even with a limp and much swearing if I turned too quickly...

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#7 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 12:33:16 pm
Good thread. I've finally touched a spade in three years and started turning soil to get rid of the weeds. I imagine it's like painting with numbers but hurts your back.

I snapped my pulley rig system which was an old inner tube looped over a pull up bar with two milk bottles tied to the end. 8 pints of water is enough to need two sheets of Bounty.

Having never really trained at home I have no reference point as to how well I'm doing compared to my projects or yellows at the depot. So when I find finishing one set of 6 repeaters as Varian suggests hard work, I give myself a pat on the back, check the beta on Cypher again and have some biscuits.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 26, 2020, 01:21:45 pm
Been doing some shoulder stuff on parallel bars which has been good fun & seeing good results. Seems to translate well into having a better front lever too (though still a long way off).

Really went for it yesterday on some stretched after a little run and managed to get a hernia! Very weird pushing it back in... Video GP appointment booked for tomorrow but now totally have an excuse to still avoid doing core work at least.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 09:48:20 am
Ouch James! and Matt!

I'm working my arse off right now, plus trying to school 2 kids, so pretty fucking knackered most days, having a few sessions on the new garage board, but fuck all else. Not even running. Went over the 14 stone barrier for the first time in about 4 years, need to sort my shit out.

seankenny

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 10:58:00 am

And a much more serious article which is making a similar point:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Why-You-Should-Ignore-All-That/248366

This is a traumatic and incredible stressful event that we're all going through here. Loading on extra pressure to be at maximum psyche and crushing our training all the time seems ... unhelpful.

I'm all for training as a way to keep moving, not go totally stir-crazy, avoid losing too much climbing strength, give me some structure to my day and some small goals I have a lot of control over.

But yeah, we can probably afford to be kinder to ourselves.

That's a good piece. My better half did her GCSE's through a civil war, which was basically a bit like this lockdown but with more bombings and electricity cuts. This time around she's concentrated on getting her work done at home, keeping the flat pleasant and taking walks to look at flowers. Not a hint of self-improvement talk.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#11 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 12:45:50 pm
I read "fails" as "falls" and wondered how the hell you are doing training falls!

I've yet to touch the beastmaker.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#12 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 12:57:54 pm
At home with an 18 month  old and 7 year old, although wonderful seriously depletes energy.

Oh and Chris you can have training falls... I pinged of my board and landed on my fan!

1st world problems I know 🙂

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#13 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 01:14:07 pm
I feel like this is the thread for me to pop my lurker cherry on, having just built a 5 rung (Moon spacing) campus board in the living room I'm tempted just to film every session for the potential fail video when I either fall and break something (or myself).

My only option for a board is outdoors so will have to be a bigger undertaking than first imagined.

Edit: It would appear I've already popped that cherry. Sorry to be a tease!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#14 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 01:29:57 pm
At home with an 18 month  old and 7 year old, although wonderful seriously depletes energy.

Oh and Chris you can have training falls... I pinged of my board and landed on my fan!

1st world problems I know 🙂

Surely with social distancing you shouldn't allow your fans in to watch you climb?

Ged

• junky
#15 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 02:20:40 pm
I'm with luke, struggling for fingerboard motivation when no idea when I'll be able to use it. I'm usually pretty good at motivating myself for that. Did a good 2 months of only home training when I did my meniscus in, but there was always an end in sight there. I think I've officially turned into a runner now. I migtt even get some shorter shorts.

ali k

• junky
#16 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 02:29:42 pm
I'm...struggling for fingerboard motivation...

Among all the craziness of a global pandemic and Trump’s daily brain farts this is the most shocking thing I’ve read all year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 02:31:06 pm
I migtt even get some shorter shorts.

80s Jerry style silky joggers.

Actually Decathlon ones are my go to.

gme

• forum hero
#18 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 03:53:39 pm
I am doing way more than i have in years. Not just finger boarding either, weights, TRX and cross fit style intervals with my youngest. Playing rugby and footy in the garden and walking the dog 5-6 miles. Board will be up in a week so even more to do.

Normally i am away at work a lot so never get any consistency but no excuse now. Whilst everything else has gone to shit i told my self i have to make the most of this opportunity. Time is about the only upside to this whole thing.

Will fucking hate myself if i dont.

jstrongman

• player
  • http://vimeo.com/user4955702
#19 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 04:13:56 pm
I'm with luke, struggling for fingerboard motivation when no idea when I'll be able to use it. I'm usually pretty good at motivating myself for that. Did a good 2 months of only home training when I did my meniscus in, but there was always an end in sight there. I think I've officially turned into a runner now. I migtt even get some shorter shorts.

I also started to get into the running thing, but found it had a real negative impact on my flexibility, which then requires more time/commitment for stretching. I am finding it the perfect time to build strength base, short intense sessions, with plenty of time for rest, no temptation to go out for a project, when you should be resting. Also being slightly overweight is not so much of a problem "train heavy" and I am a big convert to the use of a pulley assist. Do some benchmark tests, lattice rung / 20mm edge and also the single digit first pad max lifts, really good to find which fingers are really doing the work and where the weakness/old injuries are, this really helped me to see the progress. Keep it simple, set some goals and just build it really steady, I am also enjoying not having the pressure to rush and the thing with strength gains is that they will last. I got a lot from Dan's advice on the lockdown finger board thread. 

ali k

• junky
#20 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 04:22:33 pm
I am doing way more than i have in years.
#smug

Get yourself back to the power club. This one’s for people to lament their injuries, lack of motivation and beer guts  :ras:

gme

• forum hero
#21 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 06:27:18 pm
Beer guts still coming on though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 27, 2020, 06:53:36 pm
I'm applying the Dunne "train heavy climb light" principle.

jstrongman

• player
  • http://vimeo.com/user4955702
#23 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 29, 2020, 11:52:23 am
I'm applying the Dunne "train heavy climb light" principle.

I have been applying this for years, just need to figure out the climbing light part!

I think this pretty much looks like the prefect lockdown challenge; includes drinking beer, use of home schooling equipment, very simple and focus on a definite area of weakness!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#24 Re: Lockdown training fails
April 29, 2020, 12:05:28 pm
And getting injured to fuck.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal