UKBouldering.com

Neil Carson interview (Read 8287 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:17:56 am
It was a good film but they didn't go into much detail about the route. However, I think it was pitched to a more general audience. Maybe I missed it but was Neil Carson mentioned once in the film?

Agreed, a bit more history would have been nice. Didn't Neil Carson move to Wales to complete the route. Is he still around? Would have been good to see some insights from the first ascentionist.

Your wish is my command Chris

Arranged to do an online interview with Neil as I knew him BITD. He moved to France after the Big Bang.

Any questions you want asking fire away...

gme

• forum hero
#1 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:22:52 am
Good effort. No idea why this wasn’t done for the film.

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#2 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:23:36 am
Nice one Shark

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:42:14 am
Q 1- Did he see the film, and how goes he feel about not getting included or acknowledged in the film?

Nice one Sharkster.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:54:59 am
Q 1- Did he see the film, and how goes he feel about not getting included or acknowledged in the film?

Nice one Sharkster.

He’s not seen it. Nor me for that matter

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 10:56:37 am
What, he's not seen you?? :)

Anyway, he gets no mention, what does he think?

Ally Smith

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:14:16 am

Your wish is my command Chris

Arranged to do an online interview with Neil as I knew him BITD. He moved to France after the Big Bang.

Any questions you want asking fire away...
[/quote]

Excellent stuff - I'm intrigued by Neil's Pollitt-esque disappearance from the UK/Welsh climbing scene soon after completing The Big Bang. Did the motivation wane, or was it a conscious effort to get out the lime-light at the top of his game?

And how did "The Walking Muscle" maintain such a skinned-rabbit physique?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:28:44 am
Any recommendations on recording this? Did a trial run with Microsoft Teams and quality was terrible. Zoom requires a paid account.

remus

• forum hero
#8 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:34:44 am
Any recommendations on recording this? Did a trial run with Microsoft Teams and quality was terrible. Zoom requires a paid account.

You could use zoom (or some other video conferencing software) and use a screen recorder in the background https://obsproject.com/

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:37:34 am
Did he continue climbing in France and if so what did he get up to?

andy popp

• forum hero
#10 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:40:47 am

You could use zoom (or some other video conferencing software) and use a screen recorder in the background https://obsproject.com/

I thought there was a free version of Zoom but that it's time limited (up to 40 mins?).

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#11 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:45:24 am

Free services will be poor quality, particularly if you're recording video. To get good results you need Neil to record it from his end (and you from yours) and then upload it to WeTransfer or similar so you can get it. You might have to edit the audio (and video depending on how you want to do it) together afterwards. There are apps that can do this, but none of them are free for any kind of quality.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
#12 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:47:15 am
I thought there was a free version of Zoom but that it's time limited (up to 40 mins?).

I don't think the free version is time limited if there are only 2 of you. I've done some audio only recordings with it and the quality is ok. With video it won't be great, but if you've both got good internet connections it will be ok. I doubt it's higher quality than Teams overall though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#13 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 11:56:55 am
Did a trial run with Microsoft Teams and quality was terrible.

Wireless connection to wireless connection and using microphones built-in to your average laptop isn't going to yield great quality (I'd wager it's more geared towards certainty of maintaining the stream). At my old place I had a Madonna headset and various pieces of Jabra technology for when more that one person was using the same account.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 12:07:35 pm
Ask UKC what they used for their Ondra interview, that looked ok. We use Teams to record hearings and the quality is pretty good, although I see you've tried that without success.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 12:19:45 pm

I don't think the free version is time limited if there are only 2 of you.

I've done teams meetings with a dozen or so cubs, and when it gets to near the end of the 40 minutes, it always extends the time for free.

Doylo

• forum hero
#16 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 12:28:18 pm
Did he check out any other unclimbed lines on the Ormes that he didn’t finish?
Did he put much time into Liquid Ambar and what does he think re grade/difficulty?

Rob F

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:00:41 pm
Good effort.

I remember seeing him training at Leeds Wall in the early 90's when he was at Uni- hogging / doing endless l---o---n---g circuits on the bouldering wall up and down and round and round. Headphones on for psyche. Looked like someone who was committed to the training side of things.

Interested on the relative focus on power vs enduro for his successful redpoints...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:02:23 pm
Is he surprised at the low amount or repeats that BB has had since he first did it?

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#19 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:10:31 pm
Did it feel like a big step giving it 9a?

Who else did he talk to, was it just in comparison to Liquid Ambar, it felt harder?

What was the hardest route he'd repeated up to that point?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#20 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:17:31 pm

Wireless connection to wireless connection and using microphones built-in to your average laptop isn't going to yield great quality (I'd wager it's more geared towards certainty of maintaining the stream). At my old place I had a Madonna headset and various pieces of Jabra technology for when more that one person was using the same account.

I bought a £20 microphone off tinternet for Teams and it works well - but so does an iPad if you have one.

Paul B

• forum hero
#21 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:38:11 pm
He’s not seen it. Nor me for that matter

Is that going to change before the interview for either or both?

Free services will be poor quality.

FYI - tested on a paid, business account so it's not the 'free' bit that's letting it down.

gme

• forum hero
#22 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:48:52 pm
Quality of interview is important quality of picture and sound not, as long as you can hear it.

I am quite enjoying the old school analog quality of everything at the minute, i dont think it detracts at all.

Doylo

• forum hero
#23 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 01:50:34 pm
Is he surprised at the low amount or repeats that BB has had since he first did it?

And the other harder routes down there ? LA, sea Of. infanticide

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: Neil Carson interview
April 24, 2020, 02:55:39 pm

I bought a £20 microphone off tinternet for Teams and it works well - but so does an iPad if you have one.

I once recorded a podcast interview on an iPhone 6 for the Canadian national broadcaster - positioned right (talk across the bottom of it - about 10 cm away) they said the sound quality was excellent - the sound guy even wrote to me asking if I was sure it was recorded on a phone....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal