UKBouldering.com

Music Streaming Options (Read 1710 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 03:26:21 pm
Hi Everyone,
With the new found WFH ethic, I'm listening to alot more music whilst frittering away my days on the internet working hard. I've used free spotify for the last 7-8 years or so (I've forgotten) as preiously I didnt listen too much and it didnt bother me with the free ads. Now its a bit grating - and I'm considering shelling out the £10 a month. But there are other players in the game now... Tidal - and Amazon music (which would be easy/cheaper as I'm already a prime subscriber). Any thoughts/advice/comments or decent services I'm missing? My main factors governing this are

1. Ease of use (how good is the app etc.. spotify works well for me TBH)
2. Price.
3. Ethics - e.g. how far do they screw the groups they stream.
4. Sound quality (I'm not a buff - but if its crap its crap - also I find an equaliser option is important as some of my speakers/headphones need a tweak)
5. Oh - range of music. Don't know about this - as I kind of presume they all have most of what I like (nothing that unusual..)..
6. What you like auto select radio type algorithmic magic stuff....

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 03:32:22 pm
Spotify all the way. The algorithms that pick stuff they think you'll like seem way better than apple music. Can't comment on Amazon music.

A good way round the price is to round up some other family members/friends who would be keen and do a family subscription for 15 quid. This works out cheaper even if there's two of you and is daylight robbery if there's 5. Some chicanery is required putting the same address in if they aren't actually family members but I've been doing it for years with no push back.

IanP

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 04:39:42 pm
Haven't got experience of other streaming services but I think Spotify is great, works really well and basically has all the music in the world as far as I can tell (pop/rock etc, no idea about classical).  Don't think there are many artists who don't have their music on now and most the major hold outs are on e.g Neil Young, Prince.  App is pretty decent, download and offline functionality works well, music quality is adjustable depending on whether data/bandwidth is an issue and seems good to me though I'm not a hi-fi buff.

In terms of prices I think its great value , £10 a month to access all the music I could ever want - certainly compares very well to things like Netflix is terms of value delivered for money spent.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Re: Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 04:42:03 pm
We have a Spotify and a Tidal account.  The latter is expensive at 20 quid a month for the hi-fi option but streams at FLAC/CD quality so is great for home listening. I tend to use Spotify when out and about.

For the price of a takeaway it’s good value in my opinion but I do spend a lot of time listening to music.

Spotify are the worst offenders for paying artists with Tidal much better.

Haven’t used Amazon music so can’t comment.

I do use Bandcamp to buy music from independent artists as they get paid properly with bandcamp taking a 20% cut and you get to keep the music.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 05:14:46 pm
Thanks Everyone.
Looks like Spotify is probably best for me - I’ll see if MrsTT would use it and if so I’ll get family one.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Music Streaming Options
March 28, 2020, 06:17:31 pm
Here’s a playlist I add to from time to time with tunes I like.  Mostly very mellow and relaxing with nothing too weird.  12 hours worth, so stick it on shuffle and fill yer boots/ears.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5vAtbrFFxQ9tMKTjW390Ja?si=NltwGK8jQfakn1mfeKAd8A

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal