UKBouldering.com

COVID-19 and the state of politics (Read 182443 times)

ali k

• junky
I can’t put it better than MrJR and Sean have. It’s an insult to so many families.

If Cummings’ statement is to be taken at face value then he also made three assumptions as part of his decision making, as he was apparently asymptomatic at the time.
1. That he would definitely go on to catch the virus from his wife (reasonable assumption).
2. That he would go on to develop symptoms (based on the data that is not a given).
3. That those symptoms would be sufficiently bad* that both he and his wife would become completely incapable of caring for his child at some point in the future (and they had no-one close by to look after him), hence bringing concerns for child welfare into the equation.

The last one is a pretty big and indefensible assumption. You can’t decide to flagrantly break the lockdown rules, driving over 250 miles, just in case you can’t look after your child at a future time. Or was it written into the Coronavirus legislation that one of the excuses for leaving your home was if that behaviour was based on your predictions of future events?

*I’m in no way underplaying the seriousness of this disease for many people.

But as I said previously - if what Cummings did is within the spirit of the guidance, and wasn’t going against the govt order to stay at home then surely there would have been no need for No 10 to be reluctant to say where he was at the time. And if it was a case of him doing “the right thing” and “taking care of his wife and young child” then they could have used that example to clarify the guidance so other families could follow suit. As it is, the govt have insulted many families by “doing as they say, not as they do” and also now insinuating that if other parents didn’t seek childcare when they thought they might be infected they weren’t protecting their children.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:51:17 am by ali k »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Various Tory MPs on Twitter trying to make the narrative about ‘good parenting’. What an insult to the countless good parents who have managed to take take of their children in this crisis whilst doing what the government asked them to, without risking the lives of others for their own convenience by leaving the house when infected.

Think No10 has misjudged this.

Nigel

• forum hero
So, bearing on this, is it good parenting to send your child to school on 1st June? Or not? Someone should ask Johnson for a definitive answer, if they can find him.

tomtom

• forum hero
First Tory (Stephen Baker - firmer ERG leader) has broken ranks and said he should go. Let’s see if this is a drip, a trickle or a tide...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Shame he didn’t call the NHS volunteer service, it was set up several days before. Good opportunity to show faith in the gov system.

ali k

• junky
First Tory (Stephen Baker - firmer ERG leader) has broken ranks and said he should go. Let’s see if this is a drip, a trickle or a tide...
A single drip I suspect. Steve Baker and Cummings have a history of mutual dislike for one another. It may make Cummings dig in deeper.

Either way I think Baker is correct - Johnson is using up a lot of political capital on this so he clearly realises he’s lost without Cummings. Even if he doesn’t resign I think it’s been very damaging already and has exposed precisely where the power balance of the Tory party now lies, and just how weak Johnson is.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
If you want to know who truly rules you, take note of who you cannot criticise.

tomtom

• forum hero
Up to about 7 or 8 Tory MP’s calling for his head now...

think we’ve moved from drip to trickle.

ali k

• junky
Up to about 7 or 8 Tory MP’s calling for his head now...
think we’ve moved from drip to trickle.
Yep, I underestimated how damaging they obviously see this becoming (or how much Cummings is disliked). Wonder how many more before the day is out...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Yep, I underestimated how damaging they obviously see this becoming (or how much Cummings is disliked). Wonder how many more before the day is out...
Naked contempt doesn't generally inspire solidarity. Will depend on whether it blows over in the next 24 hours I expect.

tomtom

• forum hero
I think he might go today. Seen going into #10 - peston - FT - both suggesting it’s when not if now.

Though won’t this just be a bit like in Star Wars - one evil person will just be replaced by another...

ali k

• junky
I think he might go today. Seen going into #10 - peston - FT - both suggesting it’s when not if now.

Though won’t this just be a bit like in Star Wars - one evil person will just be replaced by another...
:popcorn:

If he does go though the whole cabinet have put themselves in the shit already by defending his lies. Shapps saying “we’ve never told people specifically where to locate themselves” is a classic!

Nigel

• forum hero
Jenrick is today's sacrifical lamb for the daily party political broadcast. Interesting choice, he's not exactly squeaky clean on this sort of thing...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
No, he only escaped because it was more minor, and so is he.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Labour demanding answers. Worth a look:
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1264532041380638725

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
When a completely satirical news site runs the story, without changing any detail or making any parody and yet still manages to come across as satire; then we’re all fucked:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Not sure that will cut through with Boris.

ali k

• junky
Jenrick is today's sacrifical lamb for the daily party political broadcast.
Johnson taking it now. Is it going to be a sacking, brazen it out a bit more, or announce an enquiry by Sedwill to take the heat off and then bury the findings?

tomtom

• forum hero
Evens on sacking I recon. I think sacking is the cleanest way out for BJ but he loses his most important govt member...

Enquiry is a way out - but still leaves much hanging...

andy popp

• forum hero
He lives to fight another day,

tomtom

• forum hero
He lives to fight another day,

Indeed. I wonder what the Guardian/Mirror have up their sleeves for tonight.. so far they’ve timed their releases very cleverly.

abarro81

• forum hero
BJ must be very confident of not having to enact lockdown 2.0 over the next few weeks/months. There's no way people would stick to the rules after this...

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
I can't begin to articulate how fucking angry I am. I'm very close to punching walls. And it isn't even my country's government.
Guy Fawkes was right.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
I genuinely believe this is dangerous territory to move into.

Vast numbers of people believe that Cummings flouted the guidance and so broke the law. And that the PM just lied to the nation about it.

seankenny

• forum hero
I’d love to agree, but suspect as a nation we stepped over the line when we voted for a political project which used lies and racism to win.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal