UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus: Positive things that happen (Read 35436 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

If there are many short haul airlines still in business.... I can't see the government bailing out easyJet for example. Everyone's obviously going to be driving around like anything seeing all the friends and family they haven't seen for many weeks.

I think international travel will be one of the last things to be eased back and restrictions released, and one of the things people will most likely shy away from for longer. I don't expect to be able to go abroad this summer.

i.munro

• junky
Given the huge reduction in cars and planes in use, would anybody in the know like to speculate how long this would need to go on for to see a significant drop in CO2 levels?  Diddly squat in just a few months?

I'm not an climatologist but from a basic physics POV I I can't see how it could drop.
Rise a lot slower yes.

Sure it can drop. Put sinply something has to be sequestering CO2 or else it would just spiral out of control.

Yes obviously but we have to assume that, before humans started burning fossil fuels, the  rate of  sequestration was in in balance with the rate of production by e.g decomposition or the atmosphere would either be entirely CO2 or there wouldn't have been any. Therefore if all fossil-fule burning were to stop, and we are nowhere near that, then that balance would resume and the % of CO2 would become constant again. The snag here is that clearly there was a feedback system working of some sort e.g more CO2 = warmer weather= more plant growth to maintain this stability over such a long period and we don't know whether we are still wiithin the range of temps where that feedback loop will work.

tomtom

• forum hero
There are feedback loops that work in the favour of CO2 sequestration - plant growth increases with more CO2 in the atmosphere - and so more plants available to absorb CO2 etc...

Brazils present policy to the rain forest isn’t helping matters...

If we’re after another global affliction to help with climate change - then a tasty large volcanic eruption would help - a Pinutubo or larger event. That would drop global temps for a couple of years...

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Yes obviously but we have to assume that, before humans started burning fossil fuels, the  rate of  sequestration was in in balance with the rate of production by e.g decomposition or the atmosphere would either be entirely CO2 or there wouldn't have been any. Therefore if all fossil-fule burning were to stop, and we are nowhere near that, then that balance would resume and the % of CO2 would become constant again.

That's also my total layman's based-on-no-actual-knowledge assumption. Carbon that was in a tree last week, gets burned today and will be in a tree again next week surely can't be causing any net change. It's carbon that was in trees hundreds of millions of years ago, was buried safely underground, and is now being put back into circulation, that's the problem.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Yes obviously but we have to assume that, before humans started burning fossil fuels, the  rate of  sequestration was in in balance with the rate of production by e.g decomposition or the atmosphere would either be entirely CO2 or there wouldn't have been any.

CO2 is at it's highest levels for 14 million years apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_in_Earth%27s_atmosphere but has been 10 times higher in the (distant) past and 5 times higher when the dinosaurs were knocking about.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Could the recent discussion be split into a “COVID-19 & Carbon Emissions” thread please?

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
After years of cajoling and hinting, Mrs S. has finally got down and dirty with  the BM ....and she's loving it.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
Come on Anne! :strongbench:

tomtom

• forum hero
Good cheering in M20 for the NHS just now.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre

Yeah, we went out.
Not reeeaaally my thing, exactly, but the kids are well into it. The Eldest Boy was a tad enthusiastic with saucepans; which I thought might annoy the street.

Actually a few went back in and grabbed their own pans.

A metric shit tonne of fireworks tonight too. People were prepared.

tomtom

• forum hero
Hope they got those fireworks mail order :D

petejh

• forum hero
Yeah could hear the sound of clapping drifting across my neighbourhood this evening, very nice.

Home fireworks to applaud the NHS though.... bit like buying a round of drinks to salute Alcoholics Anonymous

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

This is all very nice, but honestly I think that me and very many of the people who work for the NHS, or indeed people in general, just really want everyone to concentrate on staying at home and not going out unless it's really necessary. I really hope this weekend doesn't see hundreds of muppets out thinking that they'll all be the only one who is going to walk from edale, or wherever.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted

Home fireworks to applaud the NHS though.... bit like buying a round of drinks to salute Alcoholics Anonymous

:lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Woody now complete!!!!

tomtom

• forum hero
Woody now complete!!!!

Pictures please! To keep the psyche going!

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
Worldometer have added a column that shows deaths per million.  Netherlands (first death March 6th) is currently at twice the UK rate (first death March 5th) and Sweden (first death March 11th) already at 3/4 our rate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

.... and John Crace being positive about a tory minister in this crisis (nearly choked on my coffee)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/02/words-i-thought-id-never-write-thank-god-for-matt-hancock
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:44:45 am by Offwidth »

SA Chris

• forum hero
Woody now complete!!!!

Pictures please! To keep the psyche going!

See Facebook?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I transferred the last of my old band recordings/ DJ mixes Minidiscs onto the computer last night.

Say what you like about lockdown, it’s fantastic for getting round to things you’ve been meaning to do for ages.  ;D Absolutely loving being in my studio at the moment.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
BBC news just now.. Jon Griffin completed everest climb on his own stairs to raise money for the foodbank Trussel Trust

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/john-griffin19

SA Chris

• forum hero
I really hope this weekend doesn't see hundreds of muppets out thinking that they'll all be the only one who is going to walk from edale, or wherever.

If the news reports are anything to go by, clearly disappointing.

petejh

• forum hero
First home haircut in a loooong time. Saved £12  8)

James Malloch

• forum hero
First home haircut in a loooong time. Saved £12  8)

Going to have to do the same myself soon...

One big positive for me is that I’m finally doing some core & shoulder work! I never do these and now that I’m without any climbing things I’m getting close to holding a tucked planche. It’s amazing how quickly you can make gains having never targeted things before!

Bradders

• forum hero
My dog (3 years 10 months old) has finally worked out how to play fetch! He's always just kept anything thrown for him before, but seems to have finally twigged that bringing it back is more fun. Pure joy.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal