UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 288160 times)

Camo

• regular
#725 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 09, 2020, 10:47:33 pm
Hard to tell. Is he wearing trainers/approach shoes? And he's got his dog with him? So he took his dog for a walk, saw a little overhang and pottered up it?
 :tumble:

I had another look, I think they are rock shoes and I wouldn’t let him off for the dab either!

With regards to him being out I think it depends on how he has interpreted the advice about exercise etc. I wouldn’t go climbing myself but he obviously sees it differently.

What I do think is a bit irritating is posting about it on social media. I think that will encourage more people to do the same and potentially make people travel to destinations to climb (don’t know if he travelled far himself).  If everyone and their dog goes out bouldering it wouldn’t work. If he thinks he’s got a nice quiet spot then it’s his call but posting a video of it is very unnecessary IMO.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#726 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 09, 2020, 10:47:34 pm
When I’m out cycling I try to blow snot on every dog walker who has driven to out to walk their dog.
In the words of the Spanish Inquisition God will sort out the innocent.

I'd love to be able to do that effectively, I'd probably end up blowing the snot all over my sunglasses. I just scowl and mutter to myself.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#727 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 09, 2020, 10:57:39 pm
I agree that posting a video is daft. But he probably hasn't seen UKB. If somebody doesn't look at climbing groups on social media they probably don't know which way the wind is blowing. For all I know he could have loaded up his Caddy with 5 pads and driven an hour to get there; or it could be a scruffy block a 10 minute walk from his house that he can monkey up in his walking shoes. On the Lancashire Rock Revival Facebook group they're sending photos of people climbing to the police!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#728 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 09, 2020, 11:10:10 pm
I thought even on the dark side that snitches get stitches yo. :ninja:

Camo

• regular
#729 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 09, 2020, 11:10:27 pm
I agree that posting a video is daft. But he probably hasn't seen UKB. If somebody doesn't look at climbing groups on social media they probably don't know which way the wind is blowing. For all I know he could have loaded up his Caddy with 5 pads and driven an hour to get there; or it could be a scruffy block a 10 minute walk from his house that he can monkey up in his walking shoes. On the Lancashire Rock Revival Facebook group they're sending photos of people climbing to the police!

Haha I bet the cops just love that, as if they haven’t got enough to deal with!

I think common sense (or maybe it’s rare sense?) needs to come out on top. Like you say if it’s a scruffy little block on his dog walk route then it’s a lot less of a problem than what many people in the general population are doing.

Our neighbours (both retired) leave their house every day in the car and are gone for an hour or two. They could be doing something good but knowing them and the cynic in me says they aren’t and they will be going for a walk somewhere nice and/or doing the shopping. Every day though!!! Taking the piss as much as climbing in my eyes - not that anyone should lower their own standards just because others have lowered theirs.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#730 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 09:41:44 am
Does anyone on here know him personally? Time for a friendly word??

dunnyg

• forum hero
#731 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 10:39:16 am
Someone at the very least should call put the dab. Freinds dont let freinds dab.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#732 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 10:52:15 am
On Lancashire Rock Revival Facebook group they're sending photos of people climbing to the police!

What? Really? I didn't see that.

I'm uncomfortable with the amount of vitriol I've seen online.

I don't think hurling abuse at other climbers is helpful, either for the current situation (since when did calling people names achieve anything positive?) or long-term, when the web will retain a lasting record that climbers have painted themselves in a bad light.

tomtom

• forum hero
#733 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:12:39 am
On the Lancashire Rock Revival Facebook group they're sending photos of people climbing to the police!

Eh Will? I'd not seen anything like that....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:29:17 am by tomtom »

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#734 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:16:03 am
On Lancashire Rock Revival Facebook group they're sending photos of people climbing to the police!

What? Really? I didn't see that.

I'm uncomfortable with the amount of vitriol I've seen online.

I don't think hurling abuse at other climbers is helpful, either for the current situation (since when did calling people names achieve anything positive?) or long-term, when the web will retain a lasting record that climbers have painted themselves in a bad light.

Which climbers were/are basking in that “bad light” do you think?
The name callers or the posters?

:devangel:

I know what I feel, rightly or wrongly:

Climber A/ Called someone a bad name.

Climber B/ Failed to exercise self control, for a few weeks, in national crisis and then posted it on social media to encourage others to do the same and/or invite criticism and ire.

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#735 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:28:44 am
There were 3 people bouldering at the tor yesterday, I think there justification is that they are living in there vans (there are 2) in the layby. The water baliff lives 3 doors down from me and is concerned about where there shitting

Are they Spanish? If they can't go home then it's tricky. If they're from the UK they need to go home. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#736 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:33:11 am
I think 'living there' means they are vanlifers and the van IS their home.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#737 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:39:50 am
With apologies if I'm being naive or coming across as insensitive, i think its very likely that most climbers living in vans in the UK (cant be that many anyway, its not a 'thing' here like in Europe or the US) have parents, friends or other family in the UK where they could at least park the van nearby, or on the drive. Thats what they should do.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#738 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:41:57 am

Which climbers were/are basking in that “bad light” do you think?
The name callers or the posters?

:devangel:

I know what I feel, rightly or wrongly:

Climber A/ Called someone a bad name.

Climber B/ Failed to exercise self control, for a few weeks, in national crisis and then posted it on social media to encourage others to do the same and/or invite criticism and ire.

There was a photo shared on a Facebook group, not by the climber but by someone who had snapped them whilst on a bike ride. Cue much gnashing of teeth. I doubt this climber was aware of any of it. They may even have believed they were exercising in an acceptable socially distant manner - not everyone is part of the internet climbing community.

And now someone has posted a Twitter vid of climbing a lowball whilst out with his dog. I notice nobody has made any adverse comments on his tweet, or suggested that he modify his behaviour. In fact there are lots of likes. But yet, lots of comments here, on a forum he probably doesn't read.

What's the point of either response? If it's just to vent, then I'm suggesting that's not helpful. And may in fact be detrimental to the way climbers are treated in the long run.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#739 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:46:00 am
Its an interesting point actually. I suppose it helps to reassure the online climbing community that they're doing the right thing by not climbing and should continue to do so? And might dissuade anyone close to snapping from heading out? Cant see that this thread would be damaging to the reputation of climbers in the future. It has examples of the odd numpty who has gone out and discussion from a significant majority saying that that isnt on, would have thougt that was helpful if anything?

Footwork

• forum abuser
  • Living With Wads
    • Living With Wads
#740 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:49:28 am
With apologies if I'm being naive or coming across as insensitive, i think its very likely that most climbers living in vans in the UK (cant be that many anyway, its not a 'thing' here like in Europe or the US) have parents, friends or other family in the UK where they could at least park the van nearby, or on the drive. Thats what they should do.

I don't think I've ever seen UK van lifers (though admittedly I don't climb much in N. Wales, the lakes or Scotland where it might be more of a thing). Nick Bullock used to live in a van if I remember correctly. But then he probably wouldn't park it under the cromlech boulder and go climbing right now :shrug:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#741 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 11:52:53 am
FWIW I agree. Not saying it's right btw. I've seen on motorhome forums that some people who Do live in their motorhomes have been getting abuse for parking up anywhere remote, and that some local authorities have provided them with places to park. I would have though most caravan parks would be closed up, maybe these guys should be permitted to use them, if they can prove they genuinely don't have a fixed residence.

abarro81

• forum hero
#742 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:00:04 pm
Its an interesting point actually. I suppose it helps to reassure the online climbing community that they're doing the right thing by not climbing and should continue to do so?

I suspect it's mostly just because people like to be angry on the internet, especially when bored/angry in real life. Half of the people getting outraged by someone climbing some lowball choss in the middle of nowhere whilst out for a walk will have just been for an hour long run, or will have spent an extra 10 min in the supermarket because they wanted to buy some alcohol and easter eggs... despite the fact that neither are essential.

lurcher

• regular
#743 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:02:02 pm
There's a few folk living in vans parked up below stanage.  Chatted to one of them last week while walking dog.   He was there before lockdown and was told by local police to stay put and not go anywhere else.   

SA Chris

• forum hero
#744 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:15:46 pm
spent an extra 10 min in the supermarket because they wanted to buy some alcohol and easter eggs... despite the fact that neither are essential.

I think you'll find one of those is crucial to current existence.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#745 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:24:56 pm
I support the ban but I can't help but shake the feeling that if you are shuffling up a local lowball chosspile during your allotted 1 exercise per day walk, and keeping largely out of sight, you are probably acting within socially acceptable boundaries.

In contrast I see a lot on social media about how everyone and their dog are now training for half marathons, bashing out 10km 3+ times a week, or jumping on their bike and going for quick 30km cycle. This is potentially bringing them into contact with far more people than that lad on his lowball, if we are to accept the hypothetical scenario that it is 15 minutes from his house and he was off walking to dog.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#746 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:30:08 pm
Sharing on social media is stupid though, hence saying someone should have a quiet word, rather than posting publicly, which is always going to raise heckles.

I'm staying within guidelines, but keeping running private on Strava for now, i can forego the kudos.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
#747 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 12:38:57 pm
Sharing on social media is stupid though, hence saying someone should have a quiet word, rather than posting publicly, which is always going to raise heckles.

I'm staying within guidelines, but keeping running private on Strava for now, i can forego the kudos.

Yes certainly sharing on SM is a tad reckless. I can see how it might come about though, since most outdoor activities are now seeing a boom in people partaking in them. Certain people, I have noticed, are now keeping quiet about various cycles and runs I know them to be going for, but quite a few who were previously barely getting out on the weekends are now sharing every km they cover. If you see this and are not embedded in internet climbing forums then it would probably seem reasonable. With this in mind, yeah a quiet word is probably more appropriate than ire which he could easily attract.

petejh

• forum hero
#748 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 01:22:22 pm
I suspect it's mostly just because people like to be angry on the internet, especially when bored/angry in real life. Half of the people getting outraged by someone climbing some lowball choss in the middle of nowhere whilst out for a walk will have just been for an hour long run, or will have spent an extra 10 min in the supermarket because they wanted to buy some alcohol and easter eggs... despite the fact that neither are essential.

What about those buying non-essential alcohol and easter eggs, AND going bouldering? They should burn in hell.

(no such thing as non-essential alcohol and chocolate btw)

dunnyg

• forum hero
#749 Re: Climbing during CV-19
April 10, 2020, 01:27:16 pm
I got easter eggs delivered with my shopping. Should I cover myself in hammer and sickle stickers and feed myself to daily mail readers in penance? Confusing times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal