UKBouldering.com

Climbing during CV-19 (Read 288088 times)

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 19, 2020, 11:04:51 pm

Are you saying climbers should be setting an example? If so, I think you're putting an awful lot of weight on what is still very much a niche activity.

Some pro cyclists (proper athletes no less) are stopping training on the road on the continent despite having official permission.

Is this because they wish to set an example, or because proper athletes are the most massively paranoid people about even common colds? Safer to stay in a private air con gym on a turbo trainer!

The only proper discussion I have heard was on the cycling podcast and the guy (?Mitch docker) said it just felt like the wrong thing to do plus you don't want to be that guy who falls off his bike and takes up a hospital bed which is needed by someone with severe respiratory failure

I am not saying not to go out,  I don't know what my feelings are about it but people are still spraying on insta about doing problems at the tor and advertising lamp sessions which I think is pretty distasteful and irresponsible
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:11:17 pm by tim palmer »

SamT

• forum hero
#51 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 19, 2020, 11:11:56 pm
Been pondering this all day.

My other half is a bit of a germaphobe and has been all over this the last week or two. Works for the NHS as geneticist.  Our parents are elderly and her mum has cancer and has just finished chemo.

I'm working from home, cause I'm perfectly able to. One child is off school, the other not (same school Y7 in, Y9 off. go figure)

However, she's cool with us going out climbing etc.  As she pointed out, the current advice is only the 70 plus and vulnerable should be self isolating at the moment.

Nobody has come out and said, as yet, that healthy, young ish folk cant carry out their normal business, go to work,  go to the shops, go for a run. etc.

Large gatherings are not on, so pubs, cinemas etc, are all out the question, but a bit of solitary bouldering out at the crags hasn't been ruled out at all. 

And it may be to do with this way of thinking..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6tTwxzCi8&feature=youtu.be

SamT

• forum hero
#52 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 19, 2020, 11:15:36 pm
Nobody has come out and said, as yet, that healthy, young ish folk cant carry out their normal business, go to work,  go to the shops, go for a run. etc.

Prepared to be told otherwise if I've missed something. ..

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#53 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 19, 2020, 11:21:39 pm
If going for a walk is fine, as most of the official advice seems to say I can't really see what's wrong with going bouldering on your own, or in eg pairs whilst maintaining a reasonable distance.

The greatest problem here is that there are people filling bars pubs cafes and restaurants all over the country, which isn't on.

The setting an example thing isn't really that valid, if I drive to the peak to go bouldering noone will be any the wiser, same drive as my commute to work anyway. I also like reading I shouldn't have to stop doing that to convince toe rags out of Wetherspoons.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#54 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 07:24:45 am
Sam, that leaking bottle analagy has been discussed at length on the other thread. Basically, it doesn't work as well if the over flow above the lateral hole is only a centimetre high. The capacity of the NHS to cope with increased severly ill cases is so low there is practically no real life buffer.

Bradders

• forum hero
#55 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 07:46:11 am
people are still spraying on insta about doing problems at the tor and advertising lamp sessions which I think is pretty distasteful and irresponsible

This I very much agree with.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#56 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 08:22:17 am
If we get limited to local exercise it's a great time of year for birdwatching...

And given the lack of human activity might be a great year for birds.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#57 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 08:24:58 am
Thought about this a lot last night during an extremely grumpy fingerboard session!

I have concluded that for now there is nothing wrong with continuing to climb as long as you do it sensitively and maintain social distancing. Anywhere that doesn't allow you to do this is out. Social distancing is staying more than 2m away from people which should be achievable at most crags currently. As Toby said, going for a walk is fine (National Trust are maling a lot of their spaces free to access for precisely this reason) and so I can't see how climbing is any different. As yet a full Spanish-style lockdown is not in place; once it is (and I don't think we're far away) I think we'll have to wave goodbye to climbing for the foreseeable. Goes without saying to not spray about your day outside on social media. These people have no brains.

Really good thread though. Heartening it can be discussed with such sense.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#58 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:03:11 am

Are you saying climbers should be setting an example? If so, I think you're putting an awful lot of weight on what is still very much a niche activity.

Some pro cyclists (proper athletes no less) are stopping training on the road on the continent despite having official permission.

Is this because they wish to set an example, or because proper athletes are the most massively paranoid people about even common colds? Safer to stay in a private air con gym on a turbo trainer!

In France at least cycling is prohibited, basically you can't run or walk further than 2k from your home, that's on your own as well. Most likely the confinement will be extended to six weeks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#59 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:18:35 am
2 km means I've got sport, trad, boulders and DWS to choose from. Can live with that. Just need a partner for 1, 2 & 4 though.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#60 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:22:04 am
unfortunately here climbing is prohibited as well. DWS could be seen as suicide attempt, but guess would be seen as selfish  ;)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#61 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:42:04 am

In France at least cycling is prohibited, basically you can't run or walk further than 2k from your home, that's on your own as well. Most likely the confinement will be extended to six weeks.

2k might just include bell hagg for me. I'd stick to running in that case!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#62 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:43:43 am
unfortunately here climbing is prohibited as well. DWS could be seen as suicide attempt, but guess would be seen as selfish  ;)

I jest of course. I might stash a bouldering pad though at a spot that will never b seen and just go for a "run" nearby.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#63 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 09:44:42 am
I'm resigned to not climbing outside for a while. Had a trip to the Peak planned this weekend that I've cancelled. I live at least two hours from any suitable rock so usually end up stopping at a services or something on a day trip. I also work in London (commute in on the train) and whilst I'm working from home now I have been into the office two days this week - I don't want to be the asymptomatic super-spreader leaving a trail of infections in my wake on a day trip to climb some boulders. That's my situation though - if I was more local to rock (and less local to the epicentre) then I probably would still go out, but modify choices of venue to maintain social distancing. I'll hopefully get out for a walk or a run this weekend, but it'll be local and either somewhere that's generally quiet or at a time that's quiet. I've a board in the garden and a fingerboard (and no social distractions now) so as long I maintain psyche and don't get injured I'll be stronger when I do eventually get out again.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#64 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:21:59 am

2k might just include bell hagg for me. I'd stick to running in that case!

Bell Hagg is a good little venue, why not go clean it up so its even better.   Quiet local low risk bouldering, climbing, top-roping or whatever for the under 70s is fine. The issue with climbing somehwre like that or other popular walks  is avoiding hassle from the ignorant.

If people have time on their hands many old people really need help ...shopping etc (see the link below). Food banks need help and other charities probaly do to. The NHS may soon need help.

https://covidmutualaid.org

User deactivated

• stalker
#65 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:33:58 am
people are still spraying on insta about doing problems at the tor and advertising lamp sessions which I think is pretty distasteful and irresponsible

This I very much agree with.

Aye I totally agree with this.

Will, in response to the esoteric stuff I’m not sure it has to be super esoteric. It’s not a competition to find the least climbed bit of rock. If going out climbing is legit at all I don’t see any difference in going somewhere a little less esoteric and getting on something you want to do, (big cavaet coming) so long as there aren’t people on it already. Why would climbing that empty boulder be any worse than climbing your esoteric one? Your solution obviously heightens your chances of finding something deserted admittedly.

But yeah, don’t go the tor and don’t spray about it. I went somewhere last weekend that ended up busy. I stopped climbing when folk arrive and it became apparent they were staying, it wasn’t a big crag and everything shared the same holds.

Tbh though the more it goes on the more selfish it feels.

Andy W

• forum abuser
#66 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:36:50 am

I jest of course. I might stash a bouldering pad though at a spot that will never b seen and just go for a "run" nearby.

I'd do the same too!  I've just been out to get chicken feed and saw quite a few older folk, flouting the 'rules', makes you quite cross. Basically I could easily drive to a secret bouldering spot, see no one, no risk etc. I choose not to though, yet see the people we are trying to protect, walking round in groups, close proximity and with kids!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#67 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:47:39 am

Will, in response to the esoteric stuff I’m not sure it has to be super esoteric. It’s not a competition to find the least climbed bit of rock. If going out climbing is legit at all I don’t see any difference in going somewhere a little less esoteric and getting on something you want to do, (big cavaet coming) so long as there aren’t people on it already. Why would climbing that empty boulder be any worse than climbing your esoteric one? Your solution obviously heightens your chances of finding something deserted admittedly.

I think its all a spectrum isn't it. Tor, Parisellas, Remergence, DWR, basically any confined area with lots of problems on it seems a poor idea to me. There is a middle ground between these places and the hypothetical Windy Choss Clough, which should be fine with a bit of care. Just got to be willing to walk away if theres already someone there.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#68 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:52:58 am

Bell Hagg is a good little venue, why not go clean it up so its even better.

Accept that like during Foot and Mouth it may rise in popularity though.

abarro81

• forum hero
#69 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 10:57:26 am

Bell Hagg is a good little venue,

:lol: You must be delirious with fever or have never been to a good crag.

Bradders

• forum hero
#70 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:10:29 am

Agree with this too. I reckon a lot of esoterica is less frequently travelled more because they tend to be limited to either a single problem or a handful of problems. If 5 people all turn up to try a single boulder problem at a crag with no other options, that's arguably worse than if those people all went to Caley but spread themselves out.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#71 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:15:15 am
"To the person who drove within a few centimetres on the open road and insulted me that I wasn't out enjoying myself, I was just doing my job," Filippo Fiorelli of the Bardiani-CSF team wrote on Facebook.

I think pro-cyclists are more worried about the aggression of drivers who see themselves as some kind of vigilantes, doing good by scaring cyclists of the road for their own good.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#72 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:16:27 am
Yeah, I'm not insisting everyone sticks to utter shitholes, but the more esoteric it is the more likely you are to be able to distance. And often there are good problems to do at esoteric venues, they just aren't in vogue.

Obviously if you turn up to Almscliff and you're the only one on DWR then you're onto a winner, but what are the odds? Moose got in touch for recommendations and one of the problems I pointed out was Racing Raymond - one of my favourite 7Bs and really off the radar. There are more like that out there.

Fair point, Bradders, if suddenly everyone's after quiet crags then the exercise is self defeating!

abarro81

• forum hero
#73 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:22:47 am
Agree with this too. I reckon a lot of esoterica is less frequently travelled more because they tend to be limited to either a single problem or a handful of problems. If 5 people all turn up to try a single boulder problem at a crag with no other options, that's arguably worse than if those people all went to Caley but spread themselves out.

It strikes me that the main rule should be: try to avoid climbing close to others. So if you go to a boulder and someone's already there then move on. At somewhere like the tor - I can't see an issue with having one person on Ben's, one on pinches wall and one on Powerband, whereas having three people in the Bens/Keen area would be uncool.

I'm surprised that today I've already heard of people from different housholds lift-sharing to go to Malham, and other people having their parents round for dinner.  :wall:

crzylgs

• stalker
#74 Re: Climbing during CV-19
March 20, 2020, 11:38:15 am
Friend who is very local to them has taken his lad out for a stroll to the roaches, reported the car park is rammed and its very busy with climbers / boulderers. Is far from the masses of Spring Breakers in USA mixing in bars/beaches but it doesn't seem ideal.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal