UKBouldering.com

Video Conferencing / discussion software (Read 6237 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Video Conferencing / discussion software
March 17, 2020, 05:44:55 pm
Hi All - a question others may be asking too...

I’ve got to engage in doing some remote teaching in the coming weeks - and we have software to remotely make lectures etc...

But I want to be able to have a chat/discussion like a tutorial with up to 10 people.

Skype can do it - though gets a bit messy. I hate skype for business (which is somehow much worse than Skype in my view).

WhatsApp is out as I’d need everyone’s number which would be a bit creepy for the students I guess. Facetime ditto - and apple device reliance.

I’ve not used google hangouts - any good?

Any other alternatives?

Need to be free and easy (not requiring a lengthy registration etcvv) for anyone else to use...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
We are using zoom.us. I have only tested it on a few students so far. My classes on Friday with 2*40 students is a more difficult test.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
'Teams' is what we have been told to get going with. Our IT bods describe it as 'exceptionally powerful' - and they really know their stuff, you may want to check it out.

https://teams.microsoft.com/start

gme

• forum hero
 :2thumbsup:to Teams. Easiest one to use.

Rolled it out to 40 staff today without issue.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Also just getting into Teams for work, seems way better than Skype which is the only one I’ve used previously. Screen share has been particularly useful for discussing data. Can send out invites for meeting via outlook with link into Teams if you’re on Microsoft at work.

Sorry to Slackline if he’s still reading  :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
Teams is the replacement for Skype for Business I was told this week.

It's also got a neat function where if you're in a crowded place (hopefully not  :sick:) you can click blur background and it does just that.

:2thumbsup: to Teams. Easiest one to use.

Rolled it out to 40 staff today without issue.

:kiss2:

tomtom

• forum hero
Is it free?

HarryBD

• player
We’ve been using teams for the last year and it’s been ok but they’ve been struggling (edit. With connectivity due to demand) over the last few days. Slack and google hangouts have remained up and worth considering.

andy popp

• forum hero
I joined one session at a conference this weekend via Zoom and it worked well. Heard good feedback from others who were physically at the conference but joined virtual panels and likewise those not present in person who joined live panels - but I've no experience of any of the alternatives.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
IRATA uses GoToMeeting. It's ok. Also briefly experimented with Huddle (a much more comprehensive package) but it was overkill for our uses.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Teams - Very good, currently MSoft are offering free licenses (time limited) and deals.  Integrates incredibly well with MS Office and 365.  The rest of the Teams functionality is great for collaboration, documents and has loads of plug-ins.

The Microsoft Teams education knowledge base has got some brilliant go-to materials for all sorts of needs and is well worth looking at.

Zoom - Really great for large groups (teaching, seminars, workshops) and also has ‘breakout group’ capability if you’re running a workshop.  I’m also using it for my psychotherapy clients on a 1:1 basis.

We’ve been using both for a while and by the end of the week we’ll have a ‘playbook’ ready for our own team and clients on how to run workshops and stuff remotely.   Once it’s ready I’d be happy to do a UKB session for anyone interested sometime next week.

sdm

• forum abuser
We mainly use Teams at work. Like the various incarnations of Skype, it is mostly good but not without its annoyances.

We also occasionally use Zoom or Bluejeans when it suits clients better. All 3 options will do everything you need.

I know Zoom and Bluejeans work well for free. I don't know whether Teams can be obtained for free (it usually comes bundled with Office or Windows business accounts).

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
Cool offer, thanks

tomtom

• forum hero
Hmm will experiment with Zoom. Esp of the participants can just click a link and join (without having to sign up and download software etc..). Will see.

Think I’ve used it before to join a webinar...

sdm

• forum abuser
My yoga class announced today that it is switching from the studio to using Zoom.

andy popp

• forum hero
Hmm will experiment with Zoom. Esp of the participants can just click a link and join (without having to sign up and download software etc..). Will see.

Every single academic I know who's had to shift to online teaching seems to be using Zoom. When I used it at the weekend I just clicked a link, no signing in, no downloading software.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
My yoga class announced today that it is switching from the studio to using Zoom.

Kudos to them. Mine just want to congratulate themselves for their new studio anniversary and put on extra classes. I can sympathise, it's their livelihood, but pretending nothing is wrong is really not a good response.

tomtom

• forum hero
Free zoom is limited to 40 min sessions...

remus

• forum hero
Every single academic I know who's had to shift to online teaching seems to be using Zoom. When I used it at the weekend I just clicked a link, no signing in, no downloading software.

Looks like it's fixed now, but zoom used some pretty shady tricks to make this work https://medium.com/bugbountywriteup/zoom-zero-day-4-million-webcams-maybe-an-rce-just-get-them-to-visit-your-website-ac75c83f4ef5

abarro81

• forum hero
We use Uberconference, seems fine but we never have more than 5 or so people calling in. Also only needs people to click a link and enter a name. Don't think we pay but I'd have to check with my boss.. it also has (sometimes) the best hold music if you're first on - a country song about being on hold.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Two mates have cancelled their 50th birthday parties in the next few weeks so I’m helping them do Zoom events instead.

Get everyone online for an hour or two from wherever they are, have a few drinks, sing happy birthday and maybe play a game or two.

tomtom

• forum hero
stop. The. Clock.

I’m 100% sold on Zoom. You can have virtual backgrounds - brilliant. I can give a lecture with the background of some grotty peak lime cave 😂

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
Zoom works well with google calendar if that’s any interest, there's a little plug-in.

csl

• junky
stop. The. Clock.

I’m 100% sold on Zoom. You can have virtual backgrounds - brilliant. I can give a lecture with the background of some grotty peak lime cave 😂

Not only that... https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115002595343-Touch-Up-My-Appearance

Paul B

• forum hero
it is mostly good but not without its annoyances.

It's got a lot of ways to try and use the incorrect audio devices! I had to fix it for my better half yesterday and this morning the same didn't work and the audio settings needed were in the phone symbol instead (rather than as set in the tools > audio device menu)  :worms:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal