UKBouldering.com

The self-isolation training thread (Read 9489 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#50 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 01:12:26 pm
Just be careful with this stuff of form if you are starting afresh and going at it too hard too soon. Rounding of torso can cause lower back / SI Joint issues. Make sure chest is out shoulders are back and all core muscles engaged.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#51 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 01:53:45 pm
Session #1
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K7uRmDAqI/?igshid=k3sairmsqu3j

Stay psyched, everyone.

What are the dimensions of your board Will? And what hold spacing do you have between T nuts?

It's 40 degrees. I think the hold spacing I used was equal to the Moonboard, so a 20cm grid of T nuts with wooden holds placed between these and some little core micro finger jugs (the blue things) to help warm up. Based on that I think it's 2m wide and the climbing surface is about 3m long. Then there's a short kicker (15cm rings a bell). I'll leave you to do the trig and tell me how tall it is!

Ben and Nathaniel always delighted in telling me how shit my board is, but I've definitely seen shitter! They have at times come into the garage and felt the holds and declared it pointless as it would be impossible to set hard problems on it. A mediocre board is better than no board!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#52 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 01:56:51 pm

Ben and Nathaniel always delighted in telling me how shit my board is, but I've definitely seen shitter! They have at times come into the garage and felt the holds and declared it pointless as it would be impossible to set hard problems on it. A mediocre board is better than no board!

That might be true for those two underachieving at 8A and 8A+ respectively...for the rest of us the board looks more than adequate!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#53 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 02:03:23 pm
A mediocre board is better than no board!

100% I bet a lot of people are currently reviewing their home training options and potential for a move. Turned out Dave Mac was right all those years ago!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#54 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 02:23:02 pm
Just be careful with this stuff of form if you are starting afresh and going at it too hard too soon. Rounding of torso can cause lower back / SI Joint issues. Make sure chest is out shoulders are back and all core muscles engaged.
flattening your lower back to the floor seems to be a pretty good indicator that you're core is engaged and you're ready to go. Once you feel happy with that it's easier to know that you're enagaged when you're not on your back.

tomtom

• forum hero
#55 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 02:27:06 pm

100% I bet a lot of people are currently reviewing their home training options and potential for a move.
Yup.

Bradders

• forum hero
#56 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 03:41:06 pm

100% I bet a lot of people are currently reviewing their home training options and potential for a move. Turned out Dave Mac was right all those years ago!

Tell me about. Living 10 mins walk from the Depot definitely lulled me into a false sense of security!

Thanks for the info Will. I've got permission to build a shed in the garden with board very similar to those dimensions so sounds pretty good to me! If we ever get out of this mess anyway.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#57 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 03:58:11 pm
The most important rule of board building (IMO) is to build the biggest board that you can.
And then the next rule is that if space (especially height) is limiting then you may have to deviate from personal preference on steepness. A 30 degree board needs to be really tall to be fun IMO.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal