UKBouldering.com

The self-isolation training thread (Read 9488 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#25 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 10:05:10 am
I’ll hope my existing strengths will come back fairly quickly - but can use the tedium and monotony of a fingerboard to work on weaknesses.

Yes - in general those things that you’ve worked the most over the years are the things that tend to come back quicker

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 10:52:53 am

Duncan - was interesting listening to a spiel by Steve Bechtel with regard to circumstances facing all of us from 9.13

https://www.facebook.com/climbstrong/videos/233504881171865/

A key point is that instead of trying to inadequately trying to hang on to our general all round climbing performance and endurance that a better response is to instead focus and prioritise on boosting performance of a few narrower things that we have perhaps put off for years.

Thanks for this, it's a good point. Luckily my biggest weaknesses are my basic finger and shoulder strength (and power) and tendency to get injured. All these are quite easily trained with a fingerboard, pull-up bar, rings, and some bodyweight work. I'm now doing what the rest of the world has done for 20 years!

Long endurance was an icing on the cake option, I never envisaged more than once a week. Short endurance can just wait; when it's all over I look forward to getting pumped after three moves!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#27 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 11:06:45 am
While doing the core exercises vid yesterday it became very obvious that I'm quite inflexible. The most apparent thing was leg inflexibility, so I started using the rest periods between exercises to do some very simple "try and touch your toes" stretches, but wondered if there was any easy-to-digest resource out there that could recommend some useful stretches for climbers?

HarryBD

• player
#28 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 11:38:48 am
While doing the core exercises vid yesterday it became very obvious that I'm quite inflexible. The most apparent thing was leg inflexibility, so I started using the rest periods between exercises to do some very simple "try and touch your toes" stretches, but wondered if there was any easy-to-digest resource out there that could recommend some useful stretches for climbers?

https://www.beastmaker.co.uk/pages/neds-flexy-madness

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#29 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 03:47:49 pm
A bunch of exercises from Romain Desgrange for people looking for variety/fun stuff to do for warmup etc. In french, but whatever, body french should be understandable: just copy the movements.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#30 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 07:34:04 pm
Question is Will, what do you want to be flexible? I struggle to touch my toes but it doesn’t impede my climbing. Hip flexibility is massively useful though. Ditto shoulders, so you don’t cause chronic damage.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 07:47:06 pm

The last few months I've used this: and several others on his channel, which I've really got along with.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Bradders

• forum hero
#33 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 25, 2020, 09:09:12 pm
That's a very clean looking board Will, nice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#34 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 09:23:28 am
I've strung up some old rock rungs in a tree outside to get  bit of fresh air and a change from beastmakering

Anything i do on them I seem to naturally turn them back to back, both hangs and pull ups. Should i try to resist this, or doesn't it matter? Be better moving them further apart?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#35 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 10:38:11 am
Well, I did the BD Beta core workout. After the first exercise I thought, "oh, this piss". Then the next exercises came along. I'm now an empty shell.

Interesting, did it last night and found it pretty steady, sort of like a yoga/core crossover. Clearly more reps required. Girlfriend suggested men might find it harder than women as there is loads of hip/pelvic stuff in there which women might be better at/train more.

Still worth doing for those that are keen.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#36 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 10:53:35 am
I think you finding it easier than me is probably more related to the fact that I NEVER do any isolated exercises of any description, EVER. So what little core strength I have is what I have accrued by simply going climbing. Likewise finger-strength etc.
I did 30 mins on the fingerboard yesterday and, it might be that I wasn't warmed up, or it might be that I wasn't fully trying hard enough, but fucking hell. Using the big deep two finger pockets with middle two and no added weight was virtually a max hang. Using the two smallest crimp rungs (BM2K) was also virtually a max hang!  :o

Soooooooo weak!

Camo

• regular
#37 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 10:55:46 am
I've strung up some old rock rungs in a tree outside to get  bit of fresh air and a change from beastmakering

Anything i do on them I seem to naturally turn them back to back, both hangs and pull ups. Should i try to resist this, or doesn't it matter? Be better moving them further apart?

I have always done exactly this. I have never known if it was just my poor form or wether that was the way to use them. I’ve been using my beastmaker a lot lot more and haven’t touched the rock rings for ages.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#38 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:02:00 am
I think you finding it easier than me is probably more related to the fact that I NEVER do any isolated exercises of any description, EVER. So what little core strength I have is what I have accrued by simply going climbing. Likewise finger-strength etc.
I did 30 mins on the fingerboard yesterday and, it might be that I wasn't warmed up, or it might be that I wasn't fully trying hard enough, but fucking hell. Using the big deep two finger pockets with middle two and no added weight was virtually a max hang. Using the two smallest crimp rungs (BM2K) was also virtually a max hang!  :o

Soooooooo weak!

That bottom outside edge is a bastard. At least you'll improve quickly now you actually have to do some training.

Get on the abripperx train. I remember doing some core with the general leeds lot a few years ago in depot back room and them actively laughing at me and my pitiful core. Being a competitive dick I've focused on it a lot more since  :lol:

No excuses now!

abarro81

• forum hero
#39 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:04:43 am
Bottom outside edges are also a load easier as a half crimp than a full crimp

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#40 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:07:29 am

Full crimp on a fingerboard?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#41 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:09:11 am

That's what I was doing  :'( :boohoo: :lol:

abarro81

• forum hero
#42 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:12:06 am

That's what I was doing  :'( :boohoo: :lol:

:lol: I just thought you might have messed up the beta when you called them crimp rungs ;)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#43 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:19:00 am

Full crimp on a fingerboard?

100% especially when if you don’t have a board so you’re not doing it anywhere else right now. Although I note that Will half crimped everything on his board, which may explain why he was falling off

tomtom

• forum hero
#44 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 11:38:39 am
Dont forget to keep those thumbs across the palms on the half crimps!

Bradders

• forum hero
#45 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 12:24:40 pm

Is that important? I've always half crimped with thumbs just sort of pointing upwards.

Bradders

• forum hero
#46 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 12:26:55 pm
Session #1
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-K7uRmDAqI/?igshid=k3sairmsqu3j

Stay psyched, everyone.

What are the dimensions of your board Will? And what hold spacing do you have between T nuts?

tomtom

• forum hero
#47 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 12:31:01 pm

Is that important? I've always half crimped with thumbs just sort of pointing upwards.

It’s certainly different. Jack at the Hull wall gave me a good reason why we should all do half crimps like that - that I’ve forgotten!!

Have a try - I quite like it now. I think it might isolate just the four fingers or something like that.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#48 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 12:35:47 pm
Never been one for training but even managed to get the wife on the fingerboard yesterday!! I said we'll do this 2 or 3 times a week - she was disgusted and thought we should be doing 30 minutes every day  :lol:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#49 Re: The self-isolation training thread
March 27, 2020, 12:50:45 pm
Well, I did the BD Beta core workout. After the first exercise I thought, "oh, this piss". Then the next exercises came along. I'm now an empty shell.

Interesting, did it last night and found it pretty steady, sort of like a yoga/core crossover. Clearly more reps required. Girlfriend suggested men might find it harder than women as there is loads of hip/pelvic stuff in there which women might be better at/train more.

Still worth doing for those that are keen.

I find them all ok except the Teaser/V sit.  But oddly I find the variations even harder.  Without my legs up in the air or almost straight out in front, kind of acting as a counter balance there's no way I can lift the torso (effectively do a situp) without a bit of momentum.  If anyone knows what weakness in the chain that exposes, I'd love to know

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal