UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 681361 times)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4250 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 24, 2021, 04:50:39 pm
Some of that may be shipping issues, which are a global issue at the moment and appear set to stay that way for the rest of 2021 at least...

Yup.
One last OT post. Just been messaging a mate who’s an OEM supervisor for some defence/military hardware (weapons) of a fairly strategic nature, and they’re pulling their hair out for lack of parts.
As he described it, they can’t get certain parts, because the manufacturer (UK based) can’t get machine parts/consumables for the production (far Eastern origin) or materials (because the suppliers there aren’t getting the raw materials for the alloys) and so on. Brexit didn’t feature on that one, but the knock on from the blocked Suez canal and production facilities shutting due to Covid in countries other than the UK, certainly do.
The latter is something we’ve overlooked on this thread. Certain countries with “foundation” positions in the global production economy are being absolutely twatted by Covid. It ain’t all China.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#4251 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 24, 2021, 05:56:48 pm
Some of that may be shipping issues, which are a global issue at the moment and appear set to stay that way for the rest of 2021 at least...

No doubt but bikes are a victim of Brexit it's mainly to do with the fact that the parts in bikes are sourced from multiple countries. Many of them have skyrocketed in price since Brexit, there have been several articles in cycling magazines about it

andy popp

• forum hero
#4252 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 26, 2021, 06:33:31 pm
Warning: highly personalized rant time. I would really love to be able to see my UK-based children. It's been very nearly 20 months. There have been many barriers but most recently, when they announced fully vaccinated UK citizens could return to the country without self-isolating they specifically excluded those vaccinated abroad. I can't afford the time to self-isolate. My wife is still in long-term recovery from the very serious illness she contracted last year. I could perhaps leave her for one night, max two - not the 5+1 or 2 for the actual visit isolation imposes. I was elated this morning when it was announced the UK would start recognizing the vaccination status of UK citizens jabbed abroad.

Now, it turns out that vaccination status has to be approved by your GP. Um, the vast majority of hundreds of the thousands (if not millions) UK citizens vaccinated abroad don't have GPs. We're resident elsewhere. Who is this even meant to apply to? Does the government seriously think flocks of UK citizens were going abroad to get vaccinated? Sorry, just really pissed off by more incoherent and nonsensical decision making.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4253 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 26, 2021, 07:54:44 pm
Warning: highly personalized rant time. I would really love to be able to see my UK-based children. It's been very nearly 20 months. There have been many barriers but most recently, when they announced fully vaccinated UK citizens could return to the country without self-isolating they specifically excluded those vaccinated abroad. I can't afford the time to self-isolate. My wife is still in long-term recovery from the very serious illness she contracted last year. I could perhaps leave her for one night, max two - not the 5+1 or 2 for the actual visit isolation imposes. I was elated this morning when it was announced the UK would start recognizing the vaccination status of UK citizens jabbed abroad.

Now, it turns out that vaccination status has to be approved by your GP. Um, the vast majority of hundreds of the thousands (if not millions) UK citizens vaccinated abroad don't have GPs. We're resident elsewhere. Who is this even meant to apply to? Does the government seriously think flocks of UK citizens were going abroad to get vaccinated? Sorry, just really pissed off by more incoherent and nonsensical decision making.

Can I interest you in a sympathetic tale of woe? Just to illustrate that it really isn’t just “The Government”, because the entire country has taken leave of it’s senses and Covid has been a catalyst.
I have to have my blood type certified.
I’ve known  it  since I joined the RN, 32 years ago, but strangely, have no way to prove it and your GP doesn’t retain this information.
I had to apply to the RN, on a freedom of information basis, for a copy of my medical records. Well that took three days of back and forth of form filling and phone calls and emails; only to eventually get a “Thank you for your request, we will endeavour to answer your query within three calendar months. Please be aware that current Covid working conditions may extend that time”…

Ok. No good to me, I need this by the beginning of August.

Back to the GP.

“We don’t do that kind of test”
🤦🏻‍♂️

I ask if it’s something I can get done privately and I’m told they’ll call me back.

🥳

They can do it! Can I be in the surgery at 3pm the next day?

I go, they bleed me and tell me it should take three days for the results.

Three days pass.

Nada.

I leave it a week and call on a Wednesday morning. This means joining a phone queue and it’s half an hour before I finally get through. The nice receptionist tells me I have to call back on a different number to speak to the doctor’s secretaries.
Another phone queue.
Only 15 minutes.
“I’m sorry sir, we can’t tell you if your results are back, we’re not even allowed to know what kind of test you had”.

Through clenched teeth: “Ok, how am I supposed to get the results”.

Apparently I must  submit an “E consult” request through their website.

Could I not just leave a message for the doc to call me back?

No.

Fortunately I had set up my new NHS login earlier in the week, so I was quickly into the E consult page. After answering several “do you have covid” questions it finally asks me the reason for my request. Option three “are you requesting the results of a recent test”.

Ah ha! Yes, yes I am.

‘You must verify your identity”

Ok, it’s gonna be DOB and postcode, like it always is with the NHS, isn’t it..

Clicks “Ok”.

“You will need a form of photo id, either a passport or UK driver’s license”

Eh? Ok…

Scan in driver’s license.

“Please hold your device’s camera up to your face and follow directions to scan your face”

Grumble. FFS!

“Thank you, please allow 24 hours for verification”

Aaaarrrrgghh! Wanker! Fucking screw you!

Try again.

Small print, on the login page “continue as guest”, instead of logging in. Just needed DOB and Postcode.
😁

Clicks submit.

It’s Monday, the 19th.

“ Your request for an E consultation has been submitted, the practice will endeavour to respond before 18:00…. on the 26th…”

I could probably kill an innocent old lady at this point. I’m considering sticking a pencil in each nostril and shouting “Whibble”.

Anyway, I get a text two days later, saying the results aren’t in yet and to call the secretary at the end of the week, because of the nature of the test, I don’t have to repeat the above.

Friday, was a bit shitty, so I called this morning.

The lab has rejected the sample, because it wasn’t labelled correctly.

Wha…!

Look, I get you have no control here, but I need that by the end of this week, what the (excuse my French, here) fucking fuck fuck fuckity, do I do now?

Three call transfers later and I hop in the car to rush to the practice and they drag another vial of the red stuff.

Apparently, the system produces a printed label, that must be affixed to the vial (a pink vial, which is apparently significant) but this must accompanied by a hand written label too. The nurse is pretty annoyed, because the information required on the hand written label is…

Exactly the same as on the printed label.

In three days time, I have to call, again, to find out if my results are back and I’m not sure if I can get hold of the valium I need to do that.

PS,
It is not possible to enter the GP practice and just have a conversation over the counter. Phone, text, email. Sometimes you call and they answer you in an email, or you email and get a text message back. It’s a lottery.

So, good luck finding a GP to validate your vaccine status.

If I find a good pusher for the valium, I’ll pm you.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#4254 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 27, 2021, 07:01:38 am

That’s really shit. Hope you can manage to get across soon.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#4255 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 27, 2021, 07:22:02 am

Can I interest you in a sympathetic tale of woe? Just to illustrate that it really isn’t just “The Government”, because the entire country has taken leave of it’s senses and Covid has been a catalyst.
I have to have my blood type certified.
I’ve known  it  since I joined the RN, 32 years ago, but strangely, have no way to prove it and your GP doesn’t retain this information.
I had to apply to the RN, on a freedom of information basis, for a copy of my medical records. Well that took three days of back and forth of form filling and phone calls and emails; only to eventually get a “Thank you for your request, we will endeavour to answer your query within three calendar months. Please be aware that current Covid working conditions may extend that time”…

Ok. No good to me, I need this by the beginning of August.

Back to the GP.

“We don’t do that kind of test”
🤦🏻‍♂️

I ask if it’s something I can get done privately and I’m told they’ll call me back.

🥳

They can do it! Can I be in the surgery at 3pm the next day?

I go, they bleed me and tell me it should take three days for the results.

Three days pass.

Nada.

I leave it a week and call on a Wednesday morning. This means joining a phone queue and it’s half an hour before I finally get through. The nice receptionist tells me I have to call back on a different number to speak to the doctor’s secretaries.
Another phone queue.
Only 15 minutes.
“I’m sorry sir, we can’t tell you if your results are back, we’re not even allowed to know what kind of test you had”.

Through clenched teeth: “Ok, how am I supposed to get the results”.

Apparently I must  submit an “E consult” request through their website.

Could I not just leave a message for the doc to call me back?

No.

Fortunately I had set up my new NHS login earlier in the week, so I was quickly into the E consult page. After answering several “do you have covid” questions it finally asks me the reason for my request. Option three “are you requesting the results of a recent test”.

Ah ha! Yes, yes I am.

‘You must verify your identity”

Ok, it’s gonna be DOB and postcode, like it always is with the NHS, isn’t it..

Clicks “Ok”.

“You will need a form of photo id, either a passport or UK driver’s license”

Eh? Ok…

Scan in driver’s license.

“Please hold your device’s camera up to your face and follow directions to scan your face”

Grumble. FFS!

“Thank you, please allow 24 hours for verification”

Aaaarrrrgghh! Wanker! Fucking screw you!

Try again.

Small print, on the login page “continue as guest”, instead of logging in. Just needed DOB and Postcode.
😁

Clicks submit.

It’s Monday, the 19th.

“ Your request for an E consultation has been submitted, the practice will endeavour to respond before 18:00…. on the 26th…”

I could probably kill an innocent old lady at this point. I’m considering sticking a pencil in each nostril and shouting “Whibble”.

Anyway, I get a text two days later, saying the results aren’t in yet and to call the secretary at the end of the week, because of the nature of the test, I don’t have to repeat the above.

Friday, was a bit shitty, so I called this morning.

The lab has rejected the sample, because it wasn’t labelled correctly.

Wha…!

Look, I get you have no control here, but I need that by the end of this week, what the (excuse my French, here) fucking fuck fuck fuckity, do I do now?

Three call transfers later and I hop in the car to rush to the practice and they drag another vial of the red stuff.

Apparently, the system produces a printed label, that must be affixed to the vial (a pink vial, which is apparently significant) but this must accompanied by a hand written label too. The nurse is pretty annoyed, because the information required on the hand written label is…

Exactly the same as on the printed label.

In three days time, I have to call, again, to find out if my results are back and I’m not sure if I can get hold of the valium I need to do that.

PS,
It is not possible to enter the GP practice and just have a conversation over the counter. Phone, text, email. Sometimes you call and they answer you in an email, or you email and get a text message back. It’s a lottery.

So, good luck finding a GP to validate your vaccine status.

If I find a good pusher for the valium, I’ll pm you.

And they wonder why walk in centres and A&E are rammed, particularly with children who's parents need reassurance and can't even get through to a receptionist never mind actually see a doctor.

andy popp

• forum hero
#4256 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 27, 2021, 01:44:15 pm

That’s really shit. Hope you can manage to get across soon.

Thanks. And now my daughter's had take a PCR test this morning, having woken up with symptoms - after being incredibly careful and sensible the whole time (and being denied a second jab at a walk in centre just over a week ago). Bollocks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:01:29 pm by andy popp »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#4257 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 27, 2021, 01:55:24 pm
 :'( I hope she feels better soon, Andy.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4258 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 27, 2021, 02:42:48 pm
Yes. Awful news Andy. Hope she’s well soon.

Polly has just been picked for an Antigen test (she’s been part of a testing trial since having odd symptoms in the first few months). She never threw up a positive test, but in a few days we’ll know if she ever had it (and therefore, the rest of the family).

andy popp

• forum hero
#4259 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 08:58:55 am
Thanks Jon and Matt. Negative for Covid. When she told me more of her symptoms I was actually reasonably confident this would be the outcome, but still a real relief.

It also looks like the UK gov is about to correct its stupid inconsistencies about which vaccination statuses are recognized.

chris j

• forum abuser
#4260 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 12:09:01 pm
It also looks like the UK gov is about to correct its stupid inconsistencies about which vaccination statuses are recognized.

I notice Labour are condemning this as reckless until there's an international vaccine passport scheme up and running...

petejh

• forum hero
#4261 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 05:09:38 pm
I honestly don’t understand what Labour (or the guardian) would like to happen? Since the 3rd lockdown, vaccine roll-out and the subsequent staged unlocking, any positive news to do with covid either they don’t acknowledge, or they complain about it being ‘reckless’. Does anybody in the country actually give a monkeys any more what Labour think should happen?

andy popp

• forum hero
#4262 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 05:28:01 pm
Obviously, I have a dog in the race or whatever metaphor fits, but I don't understand Labour's stance on this either.

chris j

• forum abuser
#4263 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 05:32:15 pm

Your GP does sound like it's seized the opportunity with both hands to have the perfect excuse to just start providing an egregiously shit service with no comeback.

I had a good phone call with my doctor's surgery in May last year when we wanted to register the family for their online service. As part of the registration there was a requirement to present yourself complete with ID at the surgery reception. But at the time no-one was allowed to visit the surgery... At least there was someone answering the reception phone at the time to discuss how to resolve this.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#4264 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 06:49:22 pm
I honestly don’t understand what Labour (or the guardian) would like to happen? Since the 3rd lockdown, vaccine roll-out and the subsequent staged unlocking, any positive news to do with covid either they don’t acknowledge, or they complain about it being ‘reckless’. Does anybody in the country actually give a monkeys any more what Labour think should happen?

I'm finding this incredibly frustrating as a Labour voter and Guardian reader. Both are apparently incapable of critical thinking on the issue and its both irritating and damaging.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4265 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 07:34:41 pm
Hi! Are you still...

Very interested to hear what ukbers thing of this:

???

As far as the latest video goes....

0:50 - pretty sure I got a flu vaccination and BCG (?) as a kid.

1:12 - the whole point is not that covid-19 poses a threat to children, it's that children can very easily transmit it to other people including vulnerable people, and by both the very nature of being children (in families, sociable) and by societal necessity (education) are usually in high transmission environments.

1:20 - "symptoms indistinguishable from the common cold" therefore it's a more likely transmission as it's less obvious when they have covid rather than a cold.

1:38 - "no data is available concerning long term effects" - equally no data is available concerning long term effects of covid on children. And the closest indication from the adult population seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that the long term effects of covid are much more prominent and likely than the long term effects of the vaccine.

2:17 - completely biased weasel words "perceived benefits might outweigh", ignores both the high effectiveness of the vaccine and the high covid-mortality risk in that age group.

2:48 - "children may spread the virus" - there's no "may", this happened with the school returns and the amount of families getting it from their children.

3:08 - not sure there's much talk of vaccinating infants so I guess that's just chucked in for emotive response.

3:36 - it's the sort of disease and vaccine where people like this.....whoever this person is.....is somehow given a platform to promote anti-vaccination stuff. It's in part HIS fault there's reluctance, I guess he can't see that.

Well. I kinda watched that because I was very bored over dinner as there's no IFSC on, and I thought as a short video it would be over quickly. I didn't account for having to pause every 10 seconds as it's full of more holes than a swiss cheese. Any further comments,  Eyes Wide Shut??

I now feel quite dirty and am going to watch speedcore and toy soldier videos the rest of the evening in hope that I don't get any fucking anti-vaxx recommendations through Youtube  :sick: :sick: :sick:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:59:57 pm by Fiend »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4266 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 07:58:50 pm
Something I posted elsewhere recently that sums up why I, despite not always having the same stance as the Govt on covid-tackling measures (and not the same stance as the militant lockdowneers), have nothing but contempt for the conspiracy loons:

The main issue I have with these....people...is that there is the possibility of, or maybe even need for, debate, discussion and disagreement about the government's position on the death-vs-disruption balance of covid-tackling measures, about quantity vs quality of life, about covid vs co-morbidities, about actual restrictions on personal freedom and the justifications or lack of for those. BUT outright lies and falsehoods with anti-vaxx, anti-mask, 5G, nano-particles, micro-chips, great resets, plandemics, covid-denial, etc etc obscure and sabotage that potential debate and should be nothing to do with it whatsoever.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#4267 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 08:02:13 pm
Welcome back! Glad I didn't manage to scare you off completely, and sorry if I was overly snappish at you before.

You've obviously got some concerns about Covid vaccines, so instead of just posting videos, why not say what it is that you're concerned about, and then people can engage with that?

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#4268 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 08:47:08 pm

I'm finding this incredibly frustrating as a Labour voter and Guardian reader. Both are apparently incapable of critical thinking on the issue and its both irritating and damaging.

I'm quite frustrated with people that can't understand Labour mainly disagree with the government on pretty sensible factors like mask compulsion, border controls, funded self isolation for people who won't otherwise be paid, and funding support to improve indoor ventilation ..... all of which might suddenly become very important if we have any new variant with vaccine escape.

BrutusTheBear

• forum abuser
  • Certified socialist talking head of this world.
#4269 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 09:07:38 pm
 :o GB News has a viewer! .... and Fiend has just doubled the viewing figures.  It seems that in the panic to save the channel it has lurched further into the fictitious world of the 'cosmic right', that and employing Nigel Farage which must spell it's doom.  Andrew Neil has gone on an endless holiday out of embarrassment.
If something from a more reliable source backed up with data can be supplied I'm all ears. Too late for me I'm double jabbed but I'm interested to hear (factually) what I might have done to myself.

I think exactly the same, only on most issues rather than just this one.  :lol:

slab_happy

• forum hero
#4270 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 09:25:42 pm
0:50 - pretty sure I got a flu vaccination and BCG (?) as a kid.

Yeah, I'm old enough to have a BCG scar.

Just to add a bit of relevant info:

1:38 - "no data is available concerning long term effects" - equally no data is available concerning long term effects of covid on children. And the closest indication from the adult population seems to be (correct me if I'm wrong) that the long term effects of covid are much more prominent and likely than the long term effects of the vaccine.

More than that: vaccine side-effects show up within two months of the jab, max. There's no precedent (or biological mechanism) for them to stick around and suddenly do weird shit in your body five or ten years down the line:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/93064

Like, fair enough for people to go "But how do we know there aren't any long-term side-effects?", but as it happens, we actually have the answer to that.

ali k

• junky
#4271 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 09:33:44 pm
Labour mainly disagree with the government on pretty sensible factors like mask compulsion, border controls, funded self isolation for people who won't otherwise be paid, and funding support to improve indoor ventilation ..... all of which might suddenly become very important if we have any new variant with vaccine escape.
Neglecting to use this opportunity to improve ventilation in indoor public spaces has always seemed very shortsighted to me. Not only would it help with Covid, but would also have much longer term benefits by improving indoor air quality and all the associated health benefits that go along with it. The Irish govt are providing CO2 monitors for schools and support for upgrading ventilation where necessary, which is a start at least. The UK govt…nothing.

It needs to be done anyway so in the words of Bojo…”If not now, when?”

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#4272 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 09:49:40 pm

I'm quite frustrated with people that can't understand Labour mainly disagree with the government on pretty sensible factors like mask compulsion, border controls, funded self isolation for people who won't otherwise be paid, and funding support to improve indoor ventilation ..... all of which might suddenly become very important if we have any new variant with vaccine escape.

I've immediately remembered why I stopped posting about covid...I disagree with almost everything in the above sentence (bar the funded self isolation which is long overdue). In brief:

-compulsory masks are largely irrelevant in an open society as large sectors of it cant function with them eg crowded pubs and nightclubs. If you think these shouldn't be open thats fine (though I disagree) but if you don't then compulsory masks are both unworkable and irrelevant anyway as there is an enormous amount of societal contact. I agree that wearing them on public transport is a good courtesy to keep up but it seems increasingly pointless to me. On the tram in Manc a few days ago I wore one but almost nobody else was. Pissing in the wind was the phrase I thought of!
- border controls cannot remain indefinitely, both for the travel industry/holidays and those who want to see family abroad. At the moment there is no scenario I've yet read about where Labour would be happy for border controls to be lessened. This seems incredibly wrong headed to me.
- indoor ventilation is absolutely something we should be improving, but should be done alongside opening things up. Clearly we can't wait for this enormous amount of building work to be completed before relaxing things of HS2 will be done before it (maybe!). Again, I'm not clear on Labour's timeline for improving ventilation and how it related to relaxing things. They obviously have to happen concurrently. I agree it would have multi faceted benefits though Ali.

ali k

• junky
#4273 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 10:39:19 pm
At the risk of going off on a tangent…I think, in the short term at least, the ventilation issue could have been done relatively cheaply and without much in the way of retrofitting additional air handling systems into buildings. A simple CO2 monitor would tell you when you need to open a few windows/doors or ‘purge’ a room.

Plus, having increased CO2 monitoring where data was previously lacking would be a first step in achieving more long-term solutions if we can at least get an idea of where the problems are and so where the investment needs to be directed to.

No idea where this sits with what Labour have or haven’t proposed though.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4274 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
July 28, 2021, 10:56:36 pm
The vaccine thing just makes me giggle.

I’ve had every one available, as far as I know. All the normal ones as a kid (yep, the seven needles and the BCG) and several others including Anthrax and few that I was never told what they were for (Gulf War, 90/91). I’m half way through/about to get, all my boosters for most of them.
Pretty sure I’m no further along the spectrum than I already was and my phone reception hasn’t improved.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal