UKBouldering.com

Coronavirus Covid-19 (Read 689231 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3450 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 26, 2021, 05:55:50 pm
Good post, Slabs.

I've become pretty adept at mentally filtering Dan's posts so that I just ignore the QAnon, 5g vaccine microchips, Rupert Murdoch bums lizards stuff and concentrate on the nice poems that poke fun at climbing training culture.

Loos3-tools

#3451 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 26, 2021, 06:52:43 pm
A great example of polarised thinking there. It’s a good job the poor and marginalised have got you guys and the BBC to highlight their plight.

For the sake of parity maybe the BBC could deliver all sorts of daily death tolls from heart disease and stroke to the latest US / U.K. caused civilian collateral in Syria.

The very fact that we have a war criminal leading the charge on vaccine passports must raise at least an eyebrow? Non of this is covid denial or anti vax it’s simply contextualising the problem.

The uk’s and western cultures relationship with health, death and dying is being used by MSM and the government to fuel fear, leading to further misery, isolation and ill health in the communities it claims to be helping.

We have large amounts of people living in the U.K. traumatised by the policies and actions of the same people now claiming to ‘care’. No wonder trust is low. I care not for the guardian, the mail or the bbc nor do I care about qanon or 5G.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3452 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 26, 2021, 07:38:27 pm
A great example of polarised thinking there. It’s a good job the poor and marginalised have got you guys and the BBC to highlight their plight.

For the sake of parity maybe the BBC could deliver all sorts of daily death tolls from heart disease and stroke to the latest US / U.K. caused civilian collateral in Syria.

The very fact that we have a war criminal leading the charge on vaccine passports must raise at least an eyebrow? Non of this is covid denial or anti vax it’s simply contextualising the problem.

The uk’s and western cultures relationship with health, death and dying is being used by MSM and the government to fuel fear, leading to further misery, isolation and ill health in the communities it claims to be helping.

We have large amounts of people living in the U.K. traumatised by the policies and actions of the same people now claiming to ‘care’. No wonder trust is low. I care not for the guardian, the mail or the bbc nor do I care about qanon or 5G.

You mean you, though, really, don’t you?

You are so mixed up and confused, you don’t know what you’re talking about, most of the time Dan. Bouncing between some extreme right, off to the left etc etc.

Just go look at the excess deaths for the last 12 months. You are simply wrong about this. It’s not as if the government have responded well, but it’s been a lack of action, not being too heavy handed, that has result in our death toll.

Dan, I’m sure many of us have huge sympathy for your difficulties. Most of us have experienced severe struggles with our mental health, both now and in the past. You are all over the place and it’s worrying.

These line of thought, this feeling of persecution, it can’t be helping you.

I hesitated to write this. Part of me would rather bat you away again, but that isn’t doing anything useful and I actually feel guilty for swiping at you. Not hugely so, you often ask for a metaphorical slap.
This stuff you tout isn’t “edgy” or “enlightened”, your stance doesn’t set you above everybody else. If you’re just trolling, then you’re not very good at it, because it only ever takes the slightest effort to refute your claims. So why do it? How is this helping you? I mean, if it helps you deal with the shit we’re living through, dig out, I quite enjoy crafting some petty insult, or letting one of my kids respond to you (not done that, yet, for Loos3 bowels but it’s quite amusing, especially when it’s a group effort).

I can’t believe it’s helping you, though. That, strangely, bothers me. So, if it’s what you enjoy, just pm me the shit posts, keep up the “poetry” and sarcasm on training matters on the forum, I’ll pm back some suitable insulting reposte and you can feel righteously wronged by my dismissive attitude etc etc.
Bring back the daft vids, the art, that’s quite good.

And talk to someone.

Some of us have a fairly “good” handle on “death tolls in war”, having seen it first hand. Some of us are more than well aware of the number of people, in just this country, suffering as a result of quite awful trauma, both now and always. If you actually “cared” you would go do something about it, rather than bleat here. There are people here, who do and have. Have you? Tell us about it, if you have.
Few of us need to pretend to care, try to remember that.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#3453 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 26, 2021, 07:47:43 pm
OMM - that is possibly one of the most considered and brilliant posts I have ever seen on UKB. Applause for taking the time to write it.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3454 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 26, 2021, 08:09:45 pm
Dragging it back on topic:

This is very encouraging (from the FT), look at that drop in the over 80’s and how it’s ramping up (down, but you know what I mean).

Incidentally, shows the very similar, but smaller effects of lockdown...

slab_happy

• forum hero
#3455 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 27, 2021, 08:49:46 am
Oh god, if anyone needs cheering, the vaccine data coming in (both from trials and real-world studies) is fucking BEAUTIFUL.

Pfizer's getting absurd levels of effectiveness in the real world as well as in trials, and stability studies are showing it can hold up for two weeks of ordinary fridge temps, which is going to make a huge difference to distribution logistics:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/25/pfizer-covid-vaccine-94-effective-study-of-12m-people-finds
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/26/australia-considers-approving-pfizer-covid-vaccine-for-standard-cold-storage

The J&J single shot got approved unamimously by the FDA panel yesterday, and should get EMA approval in early March. Not as crazy effective as the mRNA vaccines (which go beyond what anyone imagined) but still damn good, lower side-effects and doesn't need super-refrigeration:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/j-j-shot-set-to-get-eu-nod-in-early-march-easing-supply-squeeze

Multiple studies in England and Scotland are showing really high protection against hospitalization and death after a single shot (either Pfizer or Oxford/AstraZeneca, they're both doing great):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/22/one-vaccine-protection-severe-covid-evidence

The Oxford/AstraZeneca paper showing improved results from a delayed second shot has made it through peer review into the Lancet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00432-3/fulltext

And people are doing so much smart and valuable research -- Moderna are already starting trials on a variant-specific vaccine, Oxford's doing the mix-and-match trials, etc..

If anyone wants to get really nerdy (which I always do), the NYT have a vaccine tracker so you can monitor all the contenders and see where they are in the research and approvals process:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

andy popp

• forum hero
#3456 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
February 28, 2021, 06:40:45 pm
In breach of Covid regulations, but also probably not a good idea at the best of times:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/28/two-adults-and-child-warned-after-camping-on-yorkshire-cliff-edge

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3457 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 08:11:09 am

To the tune of Jolene...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3458 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 08:27:26 am
For those who aren't aware, Dolly was a friend of one of the lead scientists at Vanderbilt who developed the Moderna vaccine and donated $1m to the early stage research:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/17/dolly-parton-partly-funded-moderna-covid-vaccine-research

Loos3-tools

#3459 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 09:49:44 am
For those who aren't aware, Dolly was a friend of one of the lead scientists at Vanderbilt who developed the Moderna vaccine and donated $1m to the early stage research:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/nov/17/dolly-parton-partly-funded-moderna-covid-vaccine-research

Donated or invested? It seems she's popped up just in time as the likes of Texas are reversing the mask mandate and opening all businesses

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3460 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 09:56:01 am

Donated or invested? It seems she's popped up just in time as the likes of Texas are reversing the mask mandate and opening all businesses

Rubbish. Get your paranoia straight, she was involved from the very early days of the pandemic.
Popped up?
Go check.
Jeezus, even the post you quoted states “early stage”.

T_B

• forum hero
#3461 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 09:57:33 am

Jesus Dan. She’s on record saying it was a donation.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3462 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 10:29:43 am
Yeah and I bet she only gave away those 100 million books 'cos she has shares in a pulp mill.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3463 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 10:48:49 am
Popped up just in time for what exactly?

Loos3-tools

#3464 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 10:58:42 am
Human motivations are complex, curiosity about them is ok, the cult of Mother Teresa* being an interesting example.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3465 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:17:59 am
And your all seeing eye knows all.

Loos3-tools

#3466 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:25:44 am
And your all seeing eye knows all.

I assume that I know nothing and start asking questions from there.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3467 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:27:01 am
Human motivations are complex, curiosity about them is ok, the cult of Mother Teresa* being an interesting example.

Yes. They are aren’t they.
Often misguided and overly influenced by external stressors that seem organised and malevolent, where in truth, no such intent exists.
There is, of course, a difference between curiosity about human motivation and outright, knee jerk, rejection of any hint of something resembling  altruism. Ultimately, the only mind you can interrogate is your own, not easy, but worthwhile.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3468 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:32:16 am
WAKE UP, SHEEPLE! IT'S AN INSURANCE JOB. ALL THE "DEAD" PEOPLE ARE FAKING IT.

Loos3-tools

#3469 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:53:16 am
sigh, I liked the bit where Dolly called out people as cowards. Although it was hard to tell exactly what she was saying as her facial muscles didn't seem to be working.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#3470 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 11:59:34 am
sigh, I liked the bit where Dolly called out people as cowards.

No, that was her pal, Kenny Rogers. And he only called out one. In the whole County.

nik at work

• forum hero
#3471 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 12:29:56 pm
Although it was hard to tell exactly what she was saying as her facial muscles didn't seem to be working.
Fuck comments like this, fuck them right off.

Loos3-tools

#3472 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 12:56:44 pm

No, that was her pal, Kenny Rogers. And he only called out one. In the whole County.

She said it at the end of the song in the video

Loos3-tools

#3473 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 01:30:38 pm
Although it was hard to tell exactly what she was saying as her facial muscles didn't seem to be working.
Fuck comments like this, fuck them right off.

The point being publicly called out as a 'coward' based on health choices, generates some discomfort when coming from someone with a net worth of 600million whose chosen to spend a significant amount of money on augmenting surgery based upon or driven by (one presumes) a neurotic desire to live forever. Agreed f. to that.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#3474 Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
March 03, 2021, 01:30:56 pm

She said it at the end of the song in the video
*mechanical breathing sounds*

Admiral Tool, I find your lack of Country Music knowledge, disturbing.

*mechanical breathing mixed with choking sounds*

That aside, do you feel that attacking a person’s appearance or implying an underlying personality insecurity, strengthens or weakens your argument and position?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal