UKBouldering.com

Five Ten Crawe (Read 4275 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Five Ten Crawe
February 21, 2020, 11:03:11 pm
Tried a pair of these the other day. Absolutely brilliant if you like anasazis but want something with a bit more toe power, better fitting heels, seem stiffer than velcros out of the box but not much at all.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 22, 2020, 09:38:46 am
Will they last more than ten minutes before tearing/peeling/wearing out though?

TobyD

• forum hero
#2 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 22, 2020, 09:48:49 am
Will they last more than ten minutes before tearing/peeling/wearing out though?

They seemed extremely well made actually.  I have no vested interest in 510, other than that they seem to fit me. Personally I've not had an issue with 510 durability for a long time,  although I've had to return one or two pairs of scarpa.
I just thought these were really good. 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 22, 2020, 09:52:31 am

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 22, 2020, 11:01:48 am
Tried a pair of these the other day. Absolutely brilliant if you like anasazis but want something with a bit more toe power, better fitting heels, seem stiffer than velcros out of the box but not much at all.

That sounds promising as neither Sportiva nor Scarpa fit me well. The Crawe toe looks more Italian than the original Anasazi rounded one. Have you tried the blue Quantums? I lived with a pair for a couple of months but the fit - a lot like Miuras - was never right for me so I sold them on. 

As you probably know, the Chinese-made 5.10s use a different last - the old ones stayed in California with Unparalleled - and I'd given up on Adidas-era shoes.

(This is slightly academic as my stockpile of Dragons and Blancos, with a little judicious resoling, might last the rest of my climbing career...)

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 11:06:26 am
The midsole looks really odd on these
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-crawe-climbing-shoes/EG2370.html

Who cares about the midsole when you can customise them with a personal inscription of up to 11 letters for only £5 (per shoe) extra?!

If I was a sponsored 5.10 wad I'd be eagerly awaiting my opportunity to use the phrase "these tiny holds really stick in my Crawe".  :lol:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 11:08:01 am
£5 each? Good job they're a bargain to start with

danm

• junky
#7 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 03:31:01 pm
The midsole looks really odd on these
https://www.adidas.co.uk/five-ten-crawe-climbing-shoes/EG2370.html
I'm unsure what you mean by this? None of the photos show the midsole - you need to dis-assemble a shoe to look at one usually? Do you mean that the way the tension band is wrapped under the foot looks a bit odd?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#8 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 03:55:40 pm
Yes, I meant the middle of the sole rather than the midsole, it looks like it’s ready to fall apart! Never seen this sort of construction in that area of the sole before.

abarro81

• forum hero
#9 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 04:09:51 pm
better fitting heels

Surely the hook heel is the only reason to own an anasazi? 

danm

• junky
#10 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 05:53:13 pm
Yes, I meant the middle of the sole rather than the midsole, it looks like it’s ready to fall apart! Never seen this sort of construction in that area of the sole before.

The construction doesn't really look any different to say a pair of Solutions, they've just made the point where the tension band ends underneath rather than on the inside of of the foot. I guess there being less overlap might make it weaker but that's not the part of the shoe which tends to wear out. It would make the shoe a little lighter though. Proof will be in the pudding I guess.

crimpinainteasy

• addict
#11 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 07:26:22 pm
better fitting heels

Surely the hook heel is the reason to own an anasazi not to own an anasazi?

Fixed.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#12 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 07:46:32 pm

The construction doesn't really look any different to say a pair of Solutions

The difference in construction is quite stark when you look at the bottom of the solution  https://www.sportiva.com/solution.html  In comparison to that well made shoe the 5.10 looks like something glued together by a 5 year old, and I like 5.10!

You think shoes being a few grams lighter is going to make any real difference? I wouldn’t be worried about it wearing out as such but the crappy glue coming unstuck under tension put through that bit of the shoe.

As you say proof will be in the pudding, if there’s anyone left to buy them rather than Unparallel!

Doylo

• forum hero
#13 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 25, 2020, 09:08:22 pm
Don’t think they’re shifting many of the new models considering I keep seeing them reduced. Don’t see anyone wearing them on #Insta either.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 26, 2020, 10:26:41 am
165 Euros.
They must be kidding.

TobyD

• forum hero
#15 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 27, 2020, 10:11:36 am
Blimey,  you try some shoes,  think they feel really good and say so, and lots of people look at an online picture and say they're shit. I couldn't vouch for longevity as I only had a short boulder in them, but they didn't seem to have anything really wrong with them.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 27, 2020, 11:06:09 am
Blimey,  you try some shoes,  think they feel really good and say so, and lots of people look at an online picture and say they're shit. I couldn't vouch for longevity as I only had a short boulder in them, but they didn't seem to have anything really wrong with them.

Worse than political leadership discussions :D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 27, 2020, 12:13:47 pm
Welcome to the internet

Bradders

• forum hero
#18 Re: Five Ten Crawe
February 27, 2020, 12:54:11 pm

Worse than political leadership discussions :D

Or film recommendations :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal