UKBouldering.com

Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort (Read 1636 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 20, 2020, 07:38:35 pm
After some advice

I seem to have strained or tweaked my lateral deltoid where it joins the arm outside of the arm - where sergeant stripes are on a sleeve.

It’s not chronic and I have full range of movement - it just takes a few raises of the arm to get it warmed up and moving. About the same pain as you’d get from DOMs after a reasonable work out.

Any suitable exercises? I’ve been doing some lightly weighted (5kg) lateral arm raises every couple of days... I figure it’s best to nip this niggle in the bud before it gets worse.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:51:21 pm by tomtom »

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#1 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 01:41:37 pm
I get this sometimes- caused by tight lats in my experience.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 01:49:50 pm
Do you have a theraband or similar? The whole shoulder might need to develop some stability; rotor cuff etc. I find theraband to be much better than a weight, as you can easily control amount and direction of resistance

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 02:35:10 pm
Do you have a theraband or similar? The whole shoulder might need to develop some stability; rotor cuff etc. I find theraband to be much better than a weight, as you can easily control amount and direction of resistance

I do - is the doing the one end under the foot the other end do all sorts of arm raise things?

@cheque. Thanks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 02:54:21 pm
Yep, as well as in front of chest, and having it around your back. I find they all help. If you google I'm sure there are loads of exercises with a theraband that are recommended.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 03:43:56 pm
I’ve been doing a load of press ups that seem to exercise it (I feel it for the first few reps).

Low power ones from the knees - lots of reps.

Thinking about it it may have stemmed from doing one armers holding my wrist with the other hand.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 03:48:18 pm
you reckon??

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 21, 2020, 04:45:59 pm
The outside of the shoulder that feels like the deltoid insertion is a common site of referred pain for supraspinatus/rotator cuff/subacromial problems. This would fit with the assisted one-arm as the trigger. The Deltoid itself is not an important muscle in climbing outside comp. style bouldering or JD on the quarryman press moves.   

From here.

Without a proper assessment it would be wrong to be too prescriptive but lateral arm raises, with weights or theraband, are probably not a bad start. Usual disclaimers regarding internet diagnosis...

mark s

• junky
#8 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 26, 2020, 06:50:16 pm
Just hope you havent fucked your rotator cuff.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 26, 2020, 07:16:40 pm
So do I! It’s not got any worse - and I’ve not dropped my climbing intensity. Once it’s been moving a bit there’s no pain.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#10 Re: Lateral Deltoid pain/discomfort
February 26, 2020, 08:09:29 pm
Go and see a physio, or you could do external rotation exercises and see how you get on. Andy Renshaw at Harris and Ross Wilmslow is excellent. Expensive, but IMO better to pay properly once and fix it than cheaply lots of times and not.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal