UKBouldering.com

flying long-haul for a 1-2 week holiday is irresponsible (Read 11702 times)

Wood FT

• forum hero
As I've said before, I agree it wasn't the right place to make the comment and I'm glad the thread has been separated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
So, long haul is now bad, nipping down to Spain /Switzerland / Alps once, twice or three times a year for a week is OK though?

JamieG

• forum hero
I think the question of having kids is really interesting and I've definitely wrangled with it a bit (we have 1 kiddy already). Obviously every kid adds to the pressure on the environment, so an obvious question is

"is it fair to  to have kids in an age of run away climate change?"

But I've seen this question flipped on its head as

"is it fair to have run away climate change in an age of kids?"

This might seem facetious, but as a society we need to have kids, we can't simply stop. Having less kids actually places the burden of sorting out the mess our generation and previous generations have made on fewer of them. Several countries are already struggling with an ageing population and lack of children, Japan being an obvious example, where I believe they are actively trying to encourage young couples to have kids.

I don't have really have an answer but I think 'just having one less kid' helps but doesn't really get to the root of the problem. Indeed the article itself admits that slowing global population growth is going to take hundreds of years (barring a pandemic, which seems ever more likely) so we need to cut emissions essentially immediately. But I don't see that happening. I suspect we are going to see some dreadful effects in the future including terrible wars, droughts and famines in many countries. That's pretty pessimistic, but we aren't very good at getting our act together as a species. Tragedy of the commons on a global scale.

Wood FT

• forum hero
So, long haul is now bad, nipping down to Spain /Switzerland / Alps once, twice or three times a year for a week is OK though?

I would feel uncomfortable flying to Spain /Switzerland / Alps once, twice or three times a year for a week. What's your opinion on it?

SA Chris

• forum hero
I really don't know, I've just seen long haul flyers being vilified on a few occasions by people who i know fly to Europe a few times a year and seem to think it's OK.

I seem to recall reading that a lot of fuel from a flight is burned reaching cruising altitude, so would a longer flight be not much worse? Can't find the info now. 

I've flown one long-haul flight in the last 10 years, since having kids, but used to do at least one a year before. That's not to do with any offsetting btw, more to do with not being able to afford it, or avoiding spent too much time in a plane with them! :)

tomtom

• forum hero
There are predictions that global population will stabilise at 8-9 billion in about 20 years time.

The rate of growth is slowing - and if the trend continues etc...

abarro81

• forum hero
I find it funny that how long you go for would somehow make it better/worse morally

SA Chris

• forum hero
Well, possibly, if assuming you have a fixed amount of holiday time in the year, the longer you for, the less times you would do it??

Wood FT

• forum hero
I've flown one long-haul flight in the last 10 years, since having kids, but used to do at least one a year before. That's not to do with any offsetting btw, more to do with not being able to afford it, or avoiding spent too much time in a plane with them! :)

:) I can relate to that. Time and money, if I had more I probably wouldn't be bitterly riding around ukb on my high horse*

*diesel van

JamieG

• forum hero
There are predictions that global population will stabilise at 8-9 billion in about 20 years time.

The rate of growth is slowing - and if the trend continues etc...

Yes, sorry I've misquoted the article. They say to reduce the global population (to sustainable levels I assume) will take hundreds of years. Population growth is indeed slowing.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Paul B

• forum hero
I found it pretty hypocritical and a bit cliquish to make the CO2 comment for that post, by a new poster from the US who none of us know personally, Andy. The same climate comment could have been be dropped in countless other posts and I think it generally isn't, for fear of offending someone we might know.about.

I get what you're saying here but after the Extinction Rebellion protests and a recent general election where (certainly in my leftward leaning bubble) I was reading a reasonable amount on climate change/action it may just be more in the forefront of our minds rather than vindictive?

I think Stubbs picked me up on it a while ago in an off-hand way.

I tried to say in my previous post (but failed with the quote function):

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash against sponsored heroes.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

I think Stubbs picked me up on it a while ago in an off-hand way.

On here? I remember you posting about how Lewis Hamilton should give up his AMG’s and his G5 rather than his fillet steak.  :lol:

HarryBD

• player
I really don't know, I've just seen long haul flyers being vilified on a few occasions by people who i know fly to Europe a few times a year and seem to think it's OK.

Yeah I’m not that comfortable with the whole calling out other people for not doing enough. It can make you look like a cock but also unless it’s Boris, Trump or your MP there’s no real difference that one person can make. I’m all for doing what you can mind.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube

I would feel uncomfortable flying to Spain /Switzerland / Alps once, twice or three times a year for a week. What's your opinion on it?

I think that a consideration here is that it is so easy to get the train to these places. I just arrived in Hull today at 3pm after taking a Nightjet from Vienna at 9pm last night. Approx 20hrs, a lot of which was spent in bed. I think this is comparable or further in distance to switzerland and northern spain.

From all the reading I have done regarding trains vs planes, trains come out on top nearly every time. So I think people could consider taking the train instead of taking short haul flights for these trips.

Edit: just read this back. the example wasn't intended to be preachy or a virtue signalling humble brag. Just wanted to illustrate that it is really quite easy to swap flying for the train for some euro destinations.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:34:20 pm by bigironhorse »

Paul B

• forum hero
On here? I remember you posting about how Lewis Hamilton should give up his AMG’s and his G5 rather than his fillet steak.  :lol:

I'd thought so but it could have been elsewhere.

You're paraphrasing somewhat with regards to LH, I think my point was more akin to Frankie Boyle / Richard Branson (or Kingy and his asparagus):

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/583261721994924033?s=19

and the lack of self awareness in the comments being made. I think I made the point at the time that I'd sat on a long haul flight tutting at all the plastic going in the bin when it struck me that I was perhaps focussing selectively!

Bradders

• forum hero
I think I made the point at the time that I'd sat on a long haul flight tutting at all the plastic going in the bin when it struck me that I was perhaps focussing selectively!

Haha I did exactly that last time I flew long haul; I was amazed by the volume of single use plastic being consumed by the airline. I wondered where it all went after I'd discarded the wrapping from my pillow, and chucked my single use toothbrush and paste, conveniently ignoring the impact of my decision to fly halfway round the world to touch some rocks.

petejh

• forum hero
Interesting to think about the Pareto law when thinking about climate change and global emissions of CO2..

'80% of effects come from 20% of causes..'

Interesting to see if that rule holds true if you calculated total global emissions and divided by total number of countries.

According to this, 4 countries emit 52% of all CO2 emissions (China, US, Russia, India).

Cut the CO2 emissions of each of the biggest 4 emitters  by a modest 20% and you'd cut total global CO2 emissions by 10%.

Compare with cutting the UK's CO2 emissions by 100% and you cut global emissions by 1%. Though more complex because of the patterns of global trade. Cutting emissions in UK may also cut emissions in China.

reeve

• obsessive maniac
I found it pretty hypocritical and a bit cliquish to make the CO2 comment for that post, by a new poster from the US who none of us know personally, Andy. The same climate comment could have been be dropped in countless other posts and I think it generally isn't, for fear of offending someone we might know.

Yeah that's a fair point Pete. As I see it though, it's basically impossible to raise "is this okay?" as a question without offending someone, but to avoid doing so altogether isn't going to help the climate.

Where's the bar for dropping the 'CO2 comment' on someone's post about travelling to climb? Font? South of France? Greece? South Africa? US?

It's a dumb question because you don't know people's circumstances. Does the person eat meat or are they vegan and eat locally-produced; travel often or hardly ever; live efficiently and off-grid or in a leaky old big house.
And the real elephant in the room,  the biggest emitters by far: do they have children? I could fly trans-Atlantic once per year for the next 20 years, and all other thigns being equal I'd emit massively less than an average household with two kids. I'm not anti-kids, I'm anti-people with a skewed sense of perspective.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children

What, you...? No?!   :hug:

But seriously, you've got a really good point, but I don't think that should stop us from being able to mention climate change. As I said above, I don't know what the answer is for how to do so yet without being preachy or appearing judgemental - I suspect that there is no good answer.

Interesting to think about the Pareto law when thinking about climate change and global emissions of CO2..

'80% of effects come from 20% of causes..'

Interesting to see if that rule holds true if you calculated total global emissions and divided by total number of countries.

According to this, 4 countries emit 52% of all CO2 emissions (China, US, Russia, India).

Cut the CO2 emissions of each of the biggest 4 emitters  by a modest 20% and you'd cut total global CO2 emissions by 10%.

Compare with cutting the UK's CO2 emissions by 100% and you cut global emissions by 1%. Though more complex because of the patterns of global trade. Cutting emissions in UK may also cut emissions in China.

I don't think this maths is quite right as it doesn't take account of the population of these countries. A quick google gives their total combined population as 3.24 billion (1.38B, 372M, 144M, and 1.34B respectively). That's just under half of the world's total population.

petejh

• forum hero
Yeah I was wondering 'out loud' if the 80/20 law held true, not saying it did..

But actually:
Countries in world: 195
Global CO2 emissions per year 36.2 billion tonnes

36 billion tonnes x 80%= 29 billion tonnes
195 countries x 20% = 39 countries

So if approx 39 countries account for approx 29 billion tonnes of CO2 then the Pareto rule applies. Without adding them up I think it's probably pretty close approximation:

Also useful to think in terms of countries rather than individuals if you believe the most effective solutions lie with governments and inter-government co-operation, more than individuals. (which is implied if you allocate per person CO2 emissions as percentage of global total...)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
I wonder if there’s decent figures that (as you alluded to)  show the UK‘s ‘actual’ emissions if you were to include all the manufacturing in China and elsewhere which is solely for products consumed in our country.

eastside

• regular

It's a dumb question because you don't know people's circumstances. Does the person eat meat or are they vegan and eat locally-produced; travel often or hardly ever; live efficiently and off-grid or in a leaky old big house.
And the real elephant in the room,  the biggest emitters by far: do they have children? I could fly trans-Atlantic once per year for the next 20 years, and all other thigns being equal I'd emit massively less than an average household with two kids. I'm not anti-kids, I'm anti-people with a skewed sense of perspective.

Hey no worries I'm not offended. I did think of the reproduction argument but elected not to bring it up. I have no kids and will not be having any. Just don't want to. But I don't judge others who do. FWIW we heat with wood, not fossil fuel. I was vegan for a decade but gave it up for health issues.

I do think it's worth talking about this issue. It's strange to me that a single long flight is the same amount of co2 as a year's worth of driving, yet a fraction of the price financially. I don't understand why this is, are airline tickets artificially cheap somehow? Or maybe it's just that I always fly coach.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Mass transport vs individual vehicle, fuel levies vastly different. etc etc. CO2 production very different.

I'd be very surprised if they were even anything alike; amount of CO2 produced has nothing to do with cost of travelling; I can fly to London from Scotland for a lot less than it would cost me to drive on my own in my van if I get the right ticket, let alone fuel for a whole year.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
It's strange to me that a single long flight is the same amount of co2 as a year's worth of driving, yet a fraction of the price financially. I don't understand why this is, are airline tickets artificially cheap somehow? Or maybe it's just that I always fly coach.

The cost of flying is artifically low because there is no tax on aviation fuel. The industry would collapse if it was taxed the same as the fuel we put in our cars, becuase only the very wealthiest would be able to afford it.

https://www.endingaviationfueltaxexemption.eu/

MischaHY

• obsessive maniac

I think that a consideration here is that it is so easy to get the train to these places. I just arrived in Hull today at 3pm after taking a Nightjet from Vienna at 9pm last night. Approx 20hrs, a lot of which was spent in bed. I think this is comparable or further in distance to switzerland and northern spain.

From all the reading I have done regarding trains vs planes, trains come out on top nearly every time. So I think people could consider taking the train instead of taking short haul flights for these trips.

Edit: just read this back. the example wasn't intended to be preachy or a virtue signalling humble brag. Just wanted to illustrate that it is really quite easy to swap flying for the train for some euro destinations.

A slight caveat to this - I just took the train back yesterday from Seynes to Tübingen (south of Stuttgart). I actually drove there, but the car broke down and we had to get sorted by the ADAC  :furious:

The journey was indeed pleasant and straightforward, which the obvious caveat that we couldn't take a load of stuff back which we had to leave in the boot of the car - applies to flights as well though so not really relevant.

The hidden cost? Well, it wasn't hidden at all. The train tickets (which thankfully will be refunded) cost over 400€ one way. Driving in our not particularly efficient turbo petrol Astra cost around 100€ including tolls in France, which made up for around 30€ alone. Booking in advance would make the train moderately cheaper, but we're still talking 350€ one way.

Flying would be cheaper than driving but the idea of flying when I can drive the distance in less than 9 hours seems ridiculous.

I do think a shift in public/business usage could be instigated by improving the cost of train travel. As it stands, driving costs 1/2 for a single person and 1/4 for a couple doing the same journey.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal