UKBouldering.com

Glassy fingertips (Read 2209 times)

jwills

Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 01:40:56 am
Does anyone get glassy fingertips that increase over the course of a long session?

I find that anytime I’m doing an cap workouts by the end of the session I’m slipping off holds. While fatigue clearly has something to do with it, my fingertips are definitely glassy. The holds even feel super slick when I touch them during rests. I’ve heard of this but not sure if there’s a remedy.

Any similar experiences and/or suggestions?

Eddies

• forum hero
#1 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 08:17:01 am
Spit on them

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#2 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 10:06:10 am
Does anyone get glassy fingertips that increase over the course of a long session?

Yes, when it is cold sometimes the skin on my fingers cools  faster than the blood flow can keep them warm. The only solution is too warm up my hands, indoors this is easy as long as there is hot running water, washing my hands does the trick.

Mugabe251

• blockedImageProfile
  • regular
#3 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 02:49:51 pm
Used antihydral and began having this problem a while ago. I've found that sanding the polished layer off then cleaning the dead skin off with a drop of water helps a fair bit

owensum

• player
#4 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 03:56:08 pm
I have this problem and the best solution I found is Rhinoskin spit (https://www.rhinoskinsolutions.com/store/p47/Spit_Skin_Hydration.html). Made a huge difference on my last font trip. Or you can just use ordinary water/spit, I preferred the spray. Warming up hands with a USB hand warmer can work, but not always if the humidity is very low.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 04:32:28 pm
I lick my glassy tips to make the skin stick better when its cold - this freaks a lot of people out, but works for me.
I got laughed at when I first discovered this by accident when squeaking my boots one winter and have done it secretly since then - never quite sure whether I was merely carrying out some superstitious, neurotic ritual. I am so relieved that it is now acceptable to come out about such things.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 05:11:49 pm
I have this problem and the best solution I found is Rhinoskin spit (https://www.rhinoskinsolutions.com/store/p47/Spit_Skin_Hydration.html). Made a huge difference on my last font trip. Or you can just use ordinary water/spit, I preferred the spray. Warming up hands with a USB hand warmer can work, but not always if the humidity is very low.

‘kinell- Rhino flog stuff that makes your tips glassy (tip juice) and stuff to paint on to make them non glassy.....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 05:17:57 pm
like putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in a room and letting them fight it out.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 05:19:04 pm
Different income for different skin con.
Decent scam innit

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 05:20:26 pm
Is that what you always seem them spraying their fingers with at bouldering competitions?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#10 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 06:24:47 pm

‘kinell- Rhino flog stuff that makes your tips glassy (tip juice) and stuff to paint on to make them non glassy.....

An excellent business model 😄

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Glassy fingertips
February 20, 2020, 06:25:22 pm
I’ve a Rhino Skin Products rant/thread brewing away... not quite ready yet...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal