UKBouldering.com

Church Crag (Read 4371 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 02:58:20 pm
I'm optimistically looking at Sunday. Storm Dennis looks to be done by noon. Wind will have been coming in from the south-by-south-west. Still a strong wind forecast for after the rain stops (though still from SW) with pretty low humidity.

Any gurus know whether it might be dry for an afternoon sesh? Does it seep?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#1 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 03:08:30 pm
It doesn't generally seep but it does suffer condensation. Some of the holds always feel a bit damp but it can be better at this time of year since there are no leaves on the trees yet. Sunday might be alright as the temperature is dropping after it rains with the humidity dropping as well. Elysium down the valley and Lound Hill are often pretty good for conditions if Church is wet.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 03:28:53 pm
Thanks Matt. Any topos or is it just the info on UKC?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 03:35:33 pm
I've used UKC and Carl's video's, fairly straightforward working out what's what

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#4 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 03:44:08 pm
Is the whole crag just that one wall?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#5 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 03:47:39 pm
There's another wall with stuff up to 6C on it but yes that's the main area.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#6 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 04:20:58 pm
Is the whole crag just that one wall?

Yes, Cheque, that really is what all the Church Crag chat has been about for the past few months. Welcome to limestone!

Next month, TomTom and nai are going to get stuck into projects on some concrete bollards round the back of the local Tesco.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 04:22:02 pm
From Carl himself on Wednesday, when asked whether he thought it might be dry:

"To be honest mate I doubt it weather's been shit. Some holds be dry I imagine but not all"

He recommended Elysium at nearby Smeaton Edge as an option as well. I've not been though.

Also, it's not that bad considering its size. Beggars can't be choosers etc. Treat it as an outdoor board session and you won't be disappointed (and Gullivers, The Shield and Shield RH are really quite good for UK lime).

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#8 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 04:30:33 pm
You don't need to convince me. I'm just imagining Cheque's face as he learns what Church Crag is. It's been talked about so much on here you would assume it was some labyrinthine limestone Fontainebleau.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9 Re: Church Crag
February 14, 2020, 04:41:13 pm
 :lol: I've climbed at similarly-sized limestone bouldering venues with worse-looking rock than that! I wasn't trying to slag it off, just curious- it's appeared on the radar since I had to stop bouldering so I've taken zero interest in it.

Nigel

• forum hero
#10 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 09:24:27 am
Anyone got any knowledge on whether this will be dry today?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#11 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 12:07:19 pm
Anyone got any knowledge on whether this will be dry today?

It should be fine at the moment as it's not rained for a few days and the roads in the area have all dried out since the morning

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#12 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 12:36:37 pm
Living in south Leeds, this appears to be my nearest crag and would be ideal for solo after work sessions. Having not been to the venue yet I don't know if lamping is compatible with 'keeping a low profile'. Thoughts?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#13 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 12:52:19 pm
I would say absolutely not. You're more or less in someone's (a couple probably) back garden.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#14 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 12:57:18 pm
Noted, daylight visits only!

danm

• junky
#15 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 12:57:37 pm
Living in south Leeds, this appears to be my nearest crag and would be ideal for solo after work sessions. Having not been to the venue yet I don't know if lamping is compatible with 'keeping a low profile'. Thoughts?
I'd say probably not but someone more familiar with the crag will know better.

Some context to me sticking my oar in - I went over to Impossible Roof to meet Mike Adams when the problems happened there with holds being glued etc. We had a good long chat trying to work out who had done it and why. The area has a bit of an issue with antisocial behaviour which makes locals especially twitchy about strangers fettling around, particularly at night. Lights will attract unwelcome attention and Mike felt at the time that the issues at IR might have been kicked off by some lamping sessions. Impossible to be sure (groan at my punnage at this point if you wish) but worth considering before firing up the spotlights.

Edit: looks like someone more knowledgeable beat me to it!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#16 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 01:00:03 pm
Definitely not for the reasons that 3T mentioned. Given that there's been a huge spike in usership of it in the past year or so, I'm surprised there haven't been access problems yet.

tomtom

• forum hero
#17 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 03:11:32 pm
I had a lengthy ish email chat with Carl last year about the access issues - he was (rightly) concerned about parking by the Church and large groups IIRC.

That prompted me to write to the BMC and their access officer to put a notice on the crag data base (that is now also on UKC) about where to park and keeping it reasonably low profile there. All seems well at the moment from what I've heard.

I've never had any problems there (mostly on my own) - but more than half the times I go there I meet people while walking in - or who are pottering past on the path near the quarry. Everyone has always been interested, friendly and polite (unlike Anston!) and I think it would be wise to keep it that way.

Lamping would draw unwanted non climber attention to the place IMHO - and besides - in a month or two you'll have light evenings when you can go and climb there.

Nigel

• forum hero
#18 Re: Church Crag
March 03, 2020, 07:36:55 pm
Went today, first time. Nice enough place, although it was pretty condensed. Worth noting for anyone visiting during rising temps - bring a rag!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal