UKBouldering.com

Other people’s chalk (Read 2238 times)

Camo

• regular
Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 02:47:32 pm
Hi everyone,

I like to think I do a good job of leaving crags and boulders in a good state when I’m done - always brushing away chalk and especially ticks.

However sometimes I find places caked in chalk and it’s obviously something which wants cleaning.

Despite my best efforts I sometimes find I can’t get it to shift at all as it seems like it’s been baked on!! All I usually have is a bog standard bouldering brush and a towel.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get stubborn chalk off without damaging the rock at all?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 02:58:49 pm
Bottle of water. Either at the end of the day or ideally during a wet spell.

i.munro

• junky
#2 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 03:32:32 pm
What he said! A jetwash ideally but carrying that to a boulder seems above and beyond.

Camo

• regular
#3 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 04:20:14 pm
Cheers guys, Does that work ok for softer rock like sandstone as well?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 04:24:39 pm
Cheers guys, Does that work ok for softer rock like sandstone as well?

Yup.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 04:27:05 pm
I'd personally avoid brushing soft sandstone completely, especially when wet. Sometimes better to leave things be and let nature do what it can.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 04:31:15 pm
I'd personally avoid brushing soft sandstone completely, especially when wet. Sometimes better to leave things be and let nature do what it can.

yes - depends on how hard it is of course. If its got a patina then its no problem I'd say. Also - I'm thinking more nice soft brush and squirty water bottle - not a jetwasher and a deck broom....

Camo

• regular
#7 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 04:34:15 pm
Yeah I’ve got a nice soft brush that won’t be harsh at all. Just didn’t want to erode any holds whilst trying to make the place a bit tidier.

This has come up as I’ve just arrived in Albarracin and there’s a definite problem with over chalking! I’ve never seen the like before...makes me feel embarrassed to be seen as a climber if I’m honest.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 05:05:25 pm
I'd personally not bother there. I'd be more worried about stepping in piles of shit.

Camo

• regular
#9 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 05:43:37 pm
Yeah I do get the impression I’d be fighting a losing battle in this place. You’re not wrong about the shite either, it amazes me how close to the path people drop one off - they don’t seem afraid of being spotted!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 24, 2020, 07:53:01 pm
Albarracin is a shambles for over-chalking, probably because of the dry climate - and climbers' ignorance and laziness of course. Good on you for giving the cleaning a proper go. I tried to brush off what I could on what I climbed, usually managed to get some off as I wasn't on steep roof testpieces so much.

Camo

• regular
#11 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 25, 2020, 10:27:12 am
yeah I just hate the idea of walking away from something I’ve climbed when it’s plastered in chalk - even if 99% of the chalk is from someone else.

It does seem bad here particularly so I’ll do my bit to get as much off as I reasonably can, without becoming a total martyr and not getting any climbing in!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#12 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 25, 2020, 12:39:26 pm
It's quite a good warm-up sometimes, especially if you're leaning over in awkward positions, repeatedly scrabbling around to the top, scrubbing hard with a lapis etc.

Camo

• regular
#13 Re: Other people’s chalk
February 25, 2020, 01:57:57 pm
Didn’t really occur to me to do it that way. I’ve been pottering about on some problems today and gave them a good clean up. Think I’ll be off to the shop In town for a new brush soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal