UKBouldering.com

Question for frequent flyers - portable battery charger (Read 1470 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
I’m trying to ascertain whether or not I can take the below portable battery charger on our flight to Tenerife this week. I’ve looked up the CAA guidance; it appears as though the section in bold pertains to units only above 100Wh (this unit that I have is 95.4). It’s not totally clear whether the guidance applies to units under 100Wh.

Is anybody able to definitively tell me whether this will be ok to take in hand luggage? I no longer have the packaging that might say whether or not the appropriate UN testing standard is achieved with this unit.

Am I over-worrying it perhaps?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WF88T3R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_U.AoEbEM60DRX

tomtom

• forum hero
I think you'll be fine Mono. I've never ever seen anyone query a power pack... (including several flights to Tenerife 'in charge' of 30 odd students using all manner of power packs). if you're unsure just keep it in your hand luggage until well into the flight...

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I have been flying with one in the carry on luggage many times. Never had any problems, but trying to second guess airport security is a mug's game, if they feel like it they will throw it away. They are fairly cheap now, so just get another one before bording if so.

andy popp

• forum hero
Ditto. We've taken a power pack much like that (tho' don't know exact specs) on many flights without ever being questioned.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
A far as I'm aware, they're fine in cabin but not in hold due to differing pressures (and paranoid aviation industry)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I thought holds were pressurized these days (you can now pack aerosols, whereas they used to be banned)? In any event, I suspect the prohibition is more as if a battery ignites in the cabin, it will be noticed immediately and can be extinguished by crew / passengers.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Again to re-iterate, we regularly fly with 8+ drill batteries, plus powerbanks + a massive scary looking batteries, sometimes people like to ask questions, but it is usually with the weird looking batteries. Put it in hang luggage and I recon it will be fine. We have always got stuff through (6+ trips, to Italy/Turkey)

James Malloch

• forum hero
I’ve flown with one that size recently without problems. I was just told to keep it in my hand luggage rather than in the hold.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal