UKBouldering.com

Keyhole appendectomy recovery (Read 1165 times)

Ged

• junky
Keyhole appendectomy recovery
January 18, 2020, 08:08:21 pm
Usual caveat of being careful about advice received on the Internet etc, but I know there's a few physios on here. I had my appendix taken out last week, via keyhole surgery. It hurt like hell for a few days, and now only hurts a bit.

I've got no desire to start doing any kind of climbing or training until its not hurting, but would like to get running ASAP as I'm losing my mind a bit. My question is, how careful does one need to be after this sort of surgery? My only comparison is my wife, after pregnancy and a c section being told to be really careful for months, but I'm guessing that was as much to do with the muscle separation during pregnancy as it was the actual c section cut. All I've got is 3 poxy paper cuts on my belly. Is it a case of if it doesn't hurt, crack on? Or is there potential to do damage by too much too soon.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Ged

205Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: Keyhole appendectomy recovery
January 18, 2020, 09:37:51 pm
I am not a healthcare professional but I had this surgery 3 years ago (side note, I spent Christmas Day night in the Northern General with appendicitis and they took it out on Boxing Day. The Doctor was called Gabriel. You could not make this sh*t up).

This was on the Eve of a 3 month trip to Font and I was clearly concerned about what impact it would have on my climbing. I was told not to drive for a number of weeks but in terms of climbing I adopted a tolerance of carrying on climbing with some mild discomfort.

I had to drop my grade and mantels / top outs seemed particularly bad but I never pushed it to the point of real pain. I was pretty much back to my normal climbing grade within 3 weeks.

We've also just recently had a baby and of the two options I would pick having my appendix out over pregnancy every time.

Ged

• junky
#2 Re: Keyhole appendectomy recovery
January 18, 2020, 10:21:09 pm
Cheers, good to know.

And yes, I'd take appendicitis any day!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal