places to visit > something for the weekend - hookups and lifts

Yorkshire Grit tomorrow - Wharfdale - Recommendations.

(1/9) > >>

SamT:

So, to my eternal shame, I've not really climbed on yorkshire grit much and have the opportunity tomorrow.

Dropping son off at Timble, north of Otley at 10.30 and have to collect him at 3.00. (Orienteering event)

Forecast looks to be mint.

In the past, I've bouldered at Caley which is the only place I'm vaguely familiar with and climbed very briefly at Almscliffe but not bouldered there.

May well be on my own if a mate can't make it, but ideally would love to do a bucket load of 3 star 6s and play on a couple of low grade 7 giveaways..  :lol:

Reckon Caley will be green/damp non? so looking for recommendations,  Dont fancy hacking across boggy land to find green/scrittly esoterica

Partners/extra pads/local guides welcomed.

Fiend:
Brimham? Wee bit of a trek but working along from Pommel to Murky Rib to Anniversary Arete to Black Chipper Arete should give a good circuit of most likely "in condition" problems, and by problems I mean aretes.

Almscliff will be in good nick as always but also horrible as always.

tommytwotone:
From Otley, Snowden is nearby, has a short walk-in and is pretty compact.

Not exactly mainstream, can be a bit scrittly, so potentially a bit esoteric for you but there are some bangers there (Skull Wall, Naked Yoga, Rainbow, Pot Of Gold)...

dunnyg:
It was pretty damp this morning in Leeds, so I would avoid Caley.

If you do end up at almscliff, some of my favorites that fulfill your criteria(ish)

Flying arete (6B) Ace line
The right wing (6B) Variation on above
Morells Wall (6A)     Uber classic
Dolphin belly slap (7A)      Steady with beta
Crucifix (5+)     Cool moves
Matterhorn ridge (4+ highball)      L i n e
The Gypsy (6A to break, E3 if you top out...)     
Virgin Traverse (6 something...)      Ace if you like steep juggy traverses. Maybe one for towards the end of the session though
Crucifix traverse (7A)  cranking on a 2 finger pocket
Si's arete (7A)    Slopey slapping
Demon wall roof (7A+)if there is someone to sort you out with beta)
Pebble wall (6C+)      Rock over techers
Little greeny (7A)      Techy wall(?)
Pipping arete (6C+)     Slightly overhanging arete
Sloper patrol (6C) bum drag   
Syretts roof (7A)  feels high but good
pork chop slab (5?)      Cool slab
below the decks (6C+/6A)  Climb up a stegasaurus prow thing. Often overlooked but good!

Brimham probably has more good 6s to offer, but may be a longer drive.

If Earl is dry, then there are loads of good things to do there, I've mainly sat under harder stuff, but there are easily enough quality 6s for a day. Again might be a bit of a trek though, possibly better for (hard) low 7s.

Unforunately down in the peak, otherwise I would have been keen!

tomtom:
Cliff.

Looks like a great forecast for it. DunnyG has a great line up of suggestions there. I normally start at the bottom (pork chop/ flying arête area) then work my way accross and up to finish by Demon Wall roof etc.. crucifix traverse is nearly as soft as the belly slap at 7A and has some great moves in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version