UKBouldering.com

North Wales stag - pub recommendations (for non climbers) (Read 2352 times)

boxmonkey

• regular
I’m looking for some recommendations on North Wales night life. Llangollen and Llanberis seem like options but I have no clue on the pub scene in north wales. Climbed in the pass loads but only made it to the vaynol and pen y pass hotel which I liked. The group aren’t climbers but want to be in or near the hills. Not looking for night clubs or sports bars, just good pubs, real ale and a late night. We all like Indy/rock music too. We’re all late 30s. Anyone have any experience/recommendations they could offer?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I've heard Bethesda is lively of an evening...  ;) :boxing:

SamT

• forum hero
We stayed in Betws y coed on a stag once.  Seemed like a nice compromise between climbery/local pubs and all out tourist places.  Variety of eating options (we got a mini bus taxi and ate at the Tyn y Coed up by  Capel Curig which was a bit more foody at the time - this was about 10-15 years ago.

Stayed in the bunkhouse behind the Glan Aber Hotel, which suited us well.

Easy access to Hills/Climbing/Biking.  (it was kind of damp so ended up in the slate quarries, as you do).

tomtom

• forum hero
Some friends of mine had an alright ‘lads’ (40+ age) weekend staying in/nr Porthmadog.

dunnyg

• forum hero
I've stayed near llangollen and taxied into wrexham for nightlife. Fine if you fill taxis. Think you usually have to pre-book though.

Hoseyb

• forum abuser
  • Master of Obscurites
    • www.hoseyb.org.uk
Depends what you are after. Llanberis isn't that good any more on the pub front, and we often end up going Llanrug or felinheli to get a drink. There are some lovely pubs down the lleyn. Betws has some folk nights, and blue sky in Bangor has live music nights and a cracking little craft beer bar downstairs.

boxmonkey

• regular
Thanks everyone - these are great suggestions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal