UKBouldering.com

Politics 2023 (Read 465807 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#1075 Re: Politics 2020
May 28, 2021, 10:29:56 pm
Boris gets £200k renovation paid by a doner and it’s all fine.

That's one valuable kebab. (Sorry)

TobyD

• forum hero
#1076 Re: Politics 2020
June 02, 2021, 10:41:00 pm
Hopefully this will be successful BBC News - Conservative rebels to force vote on reversing aid cuts
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57338465

Cutting the aid budget and DFID are two of the stupidest things that this government has done so far,  and they've done quite a few.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1077 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 08:37:23 am
On another note, Johnson meeting Orban is bloody disgraceful. He is essentially a racist dictator. Maybe he's having a tea party with Putin, Xi Jin Ping and Lukashenko next week? (Apologies for spelling btw)

Theresa May had him over to tea when she was PM as well didn't she?

andy popp

• forum hero
#1078 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 08:48:21 am
On another note, Johnson meeting Orban is bloody disgraceful. He is essentially a racist dictator. Maybe he's having a tea party with Putin, Xi Jin Ping and Lukashenko next week? (Apologies for spelling btw)

If so, then it was when she was head of a fellow EU nation. Boris is surely under much less obligation to meet him now. The EU's response to Orban's regime has been very weak.

ali k

• junky
#1079 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 10:14:25 pm
Apologies if it’s been posted about previously, but there’s not much time left to opt out of having your medical records ‘shared’ (aka sold). Lack of any warning of what’s happening all part of the plan obviously. If it doesn’t work first time around then the lesson is to do it by stealth.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/05/19/the-government-wants-to-sell-your-gp-medical-records-heres-how-to-opt-out/

Nigel

• forum hero
#1080 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 10:48:28 pm
Apologies if it’s been posted about previously, but there’s not much time left to opt out of having your medical records ‘shared’ (aka sold). Lack of any warning of what’s happening all part of the plan obviously. If it doesn’t work first time around then the lesson is to do it by stealth.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/05/19/the-government-wants-to-sell-your-gp-medical-records-heres-how-to-opt-out/

Thanks Ali, didn't know about this. Incidentally, being the cynic I am I would guess you're wrong that these would be "sold". They'll just give them away for nothing (except the promise of a US trade deal).

TobyD

• forum hero
#1081 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 11:35:35 pm

Thanks Ali, didn't know about this. Incidentally, being the cynic I am I would guess you're wrong that these would be "sold". They'll just give them away for nothing (except the promise of a US trade deal).

This has been reported by several newspapers,  but thanks Ali that's a useful link.
I would have thought that Nigel's assertion about a US trade deal was likely,  although I seriously doubt that the UK will get such a deal for quite a long time. But the desperate Johnson government would probably give anyone who might give them a trade deal virtually anything,  so that they can say that the country has  made a success out of Brexit.  Its well known that US health insurance companies are extremely covetous of the vast accumulated data in the NHS. 

TobyD

• forum hero
#1082 Re: Politics 2020
June 03, 2021, 11:47:27 pm

If so, then it was when she was head of a fellow EU nation. Boris is surely under much less obligation to meet him now. The EU's response to Orban's regime has been very weak.

I agree re the EU,  they should have kicked Hungary out years ago. However,  Johnson meeting Orban within days of the whitewash "islamaphobia investigation " being released was particularly tawdry. As was his mealy mouthed non apology for his own language in past newspaper articles. 

On a different note,  it seems to becoming a habit for an advisor/ tsar to be appointed,  who recommends something which Johnson doesn't like , (sack Priti Patel,  spend 15bn on education) adviser then resigns when their advice is totally ignored: I don't blame them.  However,  with any luck Rashford will start tweeting about school spending and then there'll be a U turn. 

sdm

• forum abuser
#1083 Re: Politics 2020
June 04, 2021, 12:58:03 pm

This has been reported by several newspapers,  but thanks Ali that's a useful link.
I would have thought that Nigel's assertion about a US trade deal was likely,  although I seriously doubt that the UK will get such a deal for quite a long time. But the desperate Johnson government would probably give anyone who might give them a trade deal virtually anything,  so that they can say that the country has  made a success out of Brexit.  Its well known that US health insurance companies are extremely covetous of the vast accumulated data in the NHS.

Is anyone more knowledgeable than me able to breakdown in to simple English exactly what each of the two opt outs do?

I tried to work it out but am none the wiser.

There's plenty in the media (FT, Guardian, Register,  medConfidential etc) advising people to complete both opt outs but nothing that actually explains what the implications of each opt out are.

This is my best guess at understanding:

1) To prevent your records from ultimately finding their way to third parties, it is necessary to complete both the Type 1 GP Data opt out and the non-GP Data opt out. With the Type 1 having to be completed before 23 June or it will be too late and all past data will already be included with no option to have it removed.

2) Completing both opt outs will have no adverse effect or your treatment either by your GP or other health services.

3) It will have an adverse effect on future medical research. I do not trust the current or future governments to keep people's data away from third parties who will use it against them and I do not think they will be willing or able to keep the pseudonymised data anonymous. Sadly, harming future research efforts is a price I think we have to pay unless better protections are put in place.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1084 Re: Politics 2020
June 06, 2021, 08:50:05 am
Vaccinate the world,  says Boris Johnson.  https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/05/share-vaccines-or-climate-deal-will-fail-rich-countries-are-told?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Only, much like his wallpaper,  he'd rather someone else paid for it. 

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1085 Re: Politics 2020
June 06, 2021, 09:15:43 am

Is anyone more knowledgeable than me able to breakdown in to simple English exactly what each of the two opt outs do?

I tried to work it out but am none the wiser.

There's plenty in the media (FT, Guardian, Register,  medConfidential etc) advising people to complete both opt outs but nothing that actually explains what the implications of each opt out are.

This is my best guess at understanding:

1) To prevent your records from ultimately finding their way to third parties, it is necessary to complete both the Type 1 GP Data opt out and the non-GP Data opt out. With the Type 1 having to be completed before 23 June or it will be too late and all past data will already be included with no option to have it removed.

2) Completing both opt outs will have no adverse effect or your treatment either by your GP or other health services.

3) It will have an adverse effect on future medical research. I do not trust the current or future governments to keep people's data away from third parties who will use it against them and I do not think they will be willing or able to keep the pseudonymised data anonymous. Sadly, harming future research efforts is a price I think we have to pay unless better protections are put in place.

I am not making any claims to wisdom but what I understand is this:

Point 1 - you are correct about both the 2 categories of data and opt out dates, the key point is that if you do not opt out of GP data transfer by 23 June, you can NEVER opt out. It’s irreversible- for you that is. But not for those with access to the database as it will be ‘pseudonymised’ ie anonymised, but reversible so you could be identified as an individual from your data in future which includes physical, mental, sexual health records. Every interaction through your GP.

Point 2. Correct, this transfer of data is unrelated to your medical care.

Point 3. Not correct. I can only view this as authoritarian and commercially motivated because access to data for genuine research purposes ALREADY EXISTS. It’s here:
https://digital.nhs.uk/coronavirus/coronavirus-data-services-updates/trusted-research-environment-service-for-england

ali k

• junky
#1086 Re: Politics 2020
June 06, 2021, 10:50:26 am
Vaccinate the world,  says Boris Johnson.

Only, much like his wallpaper,  he'd rather someone else paid for it.

Hancock says we don’t have any spare doses to give to Covax. UK govt won’t say how much it’ll donate until other countries have committed…even though US, France, Germany, Japan etc have already put a number on it. What with the cuts to foreign aid as well other world leaders must piss themselves every time Johnson opens his mouth and uses his formidable ‘soft power’.

Front page of the express today makes it sound like Sunak single-handedly brokered the tech tax agreement. What is fucking wrong with these people?!

TobyD

• forum hero
#1087 Re: Politics 2020
June 06, 2021, 11:30:10 pm

Front page of the express today makes it sound like Sunak single-handedly brokered the tech tax agreement. What is fucking wrong with these people?!

I listened to an excellent episode of the Bunker books podcast today where Matthew D'Ancona makes the observation that this government is a purely populist one, governing without any plans or real policy objectives,  merely for the sake of cultivating popularity. 
It obviously works well for the Express but he also makes the point that populist governments have a time limit,  eventually the hollow promises fall flat and their support starts to crumble.  Unfortunately,  that could be a while.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1088 Re: Politics 2020
June 07, 2021, 12:30:49 am
...although as reported in the Sunday papers,  Dido Harding may be running for the soon to be vacated role of head of the NHS.

Given that she screwed up at talk talk with customers data, and that T&T has had no meaningful success despite being more expensive than several aircraft carriers and Boris' wallpaper put together,  this is likely to be a roaring success,  no?

sdm

• forum abuser
#1089 Re: Politics 2020
June 07, 2021, 01:03:02 pm
Regarding the GP Data opt out: some surgeries are requiring a paper copy of the opt out forms so don't leave it until close to the 23 June deadline.

My surgery will complete the opt out form for you after a 30 second phonecall.

If anyone would like to opt out but does not have access to a printer or pdf editor, medConfidential will post a copy of the forms to you free of charge which may be useful for parents/grandparents. There is an option to make a donation on their website.

https://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/

TobyD

• forum hero
#1090 Re: Politics 2020
June 09, 2021, 09:42:24 am
Interesting article: https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/how-proposed-new-constituency-boundaries-could-give-the-greens-a-boost-1041191

Based on a rather dubious projection,  Sheffield Central could gain a Green MP.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1091 Re: Politics 2020
June 12, 2021, 11:36:43 pm

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-claims-eu-leaders-dont-understand-northern-ireland-brexit-row-rages-g7-summit-1048797
Boris Johnson claimed EU leaders “misunderstand that the UK is a single country” as rows over the Brexit deal threatened to overshadow the G7 summit in Cornwall.
He added: “I’ve talked to some of our friends here today, who do seem to misunderstand that the UK is a single country, a single territory. I just need to get that into their heads.” The Prime Minister told Channel 5 that the EU was being “theologically draconian” and causing “unnecessary barriers to trade”.

Except that the UK ceased to be a homogenous trade area when Johnson signed the treaty... its clear that someone is either stupid or feigning stupidity here, and I'm pretty sure it's not the EU.

danm

• junky
#1092 Re: Politics 2020
June 13, 2021, 10:19:07 am
I'm wondering (hoping?) this becomes this governments Suez moment, because what is clear is that although having
 your negotiator wear Union Jack socks and your Prime Minister repeating nationalistic statements plays well with a certain gallery domestically, it will soon grate with a US President who needs all his allies on side and working together to face up to the challenges of climate change and China. A President who also considers themselves Irish and can bank on a resumption of any conflict there being the one thing his domestic opponents also would find unpalatable. This could be one glorious smackdown in the making....

seankenny

• forum hero
#1093 Re: Politics 2020
June 14, 2021, 03:02:28 pm
A couple of interesting things I came across.

Chris Dillow looks at why Johnson is popular:
https://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/stumbling_and_mumbling/2021/06/johnsons-appeal.html

Duncan Wheldon on why Britain is at heart an economically liberal state:
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/podcasts/the-prospect-interview-183-why-britain-is-condemned-to-be-liberal

It would be good to get the perspective of the more Corbynite posters on the Prospect podcast...  :worms:

TobyD

• forum hero
#1094 Re: Politics 2020
June 16, 2021, 06:02:20 pm

I just phoned my GP practice to ask for a form, and according to their practice manager it's not required, they were happy to do it on my phone request.

sdm

• forum abuser
#1095 Re: Politics 2020
June 16, 2021, 06:08:24 pm
It was the same when I did it.

I had to talk to the Practice Manager because the receptionist didn't know anything about the changes. Once I got through to the Practice Manager, it just took 30 seconds of security questions to confirm my identity, then she completed the form for me and emailed a copy for my records.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1096 Re: Politics 2020
June 16, 2021, 10:22:00 pm
BBC News - Boris Johnson calls Matt Hancock hopeless in texts revealed by Dominic Cummings
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57498845

You really couldn't make it up. 

ali k

• junky
#1097 Re: Politics 2020
June 17, 2021, 08:32:28 am
The best thing about this story is the claim from Cummings that Bojo would swan off after the next election to make some money and have more fun. Forcing No10 to deny that’s the case, and thus also effectively denying Johnson the escape route he’s probably been planning since he took on the job.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1098 Re: Politics 2020
June 17, 2021, 10:12:45 am
The best thing about this story is the claim from Cummings that Bojo would swan off after the next election to make some money and have more fun. Forcing No10 to deny that’s the case, and thus also effectively denying Johnson the escape route he’s probably been planning since he took on the job.

It really does all ring quite true, the useless chairing of meetings, innane jokes. It's no evidence unfortunately, but it does show that Boris and his cabinet were behaving like a bunch of 11 year olds when they were supposed to be running a country.
Unfortunately, it seems many people are happy to vote for 11 year olds. Just another case of if you hold an election, you get boaty mcboatface.

TobyD

• forum hero
#1099 Re: Politics 2020
June 18, 2021, 08:29:01 am
Isn't it rare to see some good news for once
BBC News - Chesham and Amersham by-election won by Lib Dems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57472032

Not only one fewer seat in parliament for this government but a credible performance from the Greens too.

Also,  the swift departure of a creationist  anti abortion politician must be a good thing,  I don't imagine he'll be replaced by a liberal feminist,  but surely they can't do much worse. BBC News - Northern Ireland: DUP looking for new leader as Edwin Poots quits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57521972

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal