UKBouldering.com

Politics 2023 (Read 475712 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#875 Re: Politics 2020
April 26, 2021, 05:33:29 pm
Even ze BBC are saying their sources say it’s true.

Problem is - I think many people - supporters or otherwise half expect him to make stupid statements like this. They elected a bellend, knowing he was a bellend etc...

Wellsy

• forum hero
#876 Re: Politics 2020
April 26, 2021, 06:00:33 pm
I kind of feel like even if I thought something like that... I'd never say it? Why would you say it? What do you think it will sound like?

The fact that he lied about it is pretty damning too cos like... he knows how awful it is and then oops caught in the lie

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#877 Re: Politics 2020
April 26, 2021, 06:05:38 pm
Don't think he can shrug this one off quite as easily.

Looks like Rothermere wants a new PM anyway, maybe with Rishi out of the picture for now he thinks he could get Gove who'll do him more favours, so time to strike.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#878 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 07:57:43 am
Even the times this morning has Johnson's quote about bodies as a headline.

BBC News - Newspaper headlines: 'Boris on ropes' and new 'let Covid rip' claim
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-56896604

I thought Rachel Reeves sounded good in the Commons yesterday, but Labour need to be careful here as it's easy for the general population who don't read papers think that politicians are all the same, even without any evidence.

TobyD

• forum hero
#879 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 08:57:36 am
Therese Coffey has been on the today programme, sounding distinctly uncomfortable and pissed off for having to defend the various allegations against the PM.  "What I've been told is that hes done nothing wrong " hmmm...

ali k

• junky
#880 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 09:22:22 am
Therese Coffey has been on the today programme, sounding distinctly uncomfortable and pissed off for having to defend the various allegations against the PM.
Good. No sympathy whatsoever for people like her. If you sign up to be one of Johnson's yes men (/women) you should know full well you'll have to defend the indefensible sooner or later. And if the papers truly are turning on him it's only going to get harder for them...

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#881 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 09:42:15 am
Saw Therese Coffey described as a haunted tea cosy today, which seems apt. Awful woman, who incidentally was the MP I angrily emailed at the time of the Cummings affair and was only too happy to defend him then. Seems a bit convenient he's now not to be trusted.

Bradders

• forum hero
#882 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 11:22:41 am
Anxiously awaiting the BoJo / System of a Down memes.

ali k

• junky
#883 Re: Politics 2020
April 27, 2021, 02:39:36 pm
more than enough time to find tens of thousands of pounds for carpets and curtains.
"Wait and see what declarations are made" seems to be the only defense coming from Johnson and his people re: funding of the refurb. Sounds to me like they know they've fucked up but don't want it to come out until after 6th May.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#884 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 04:03:59 pm
Despite the investigation that's been announced, as the PM Boris will get the final say on whether he broke the ministerial code with regards to the recent expenses scandal. You couldn't make it up...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#885 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 04:32:43 pm
Nice bit of poacher / gamekeeper there. On a par with Sturgeon.

Nigel

• forum hero
#886 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 08:27:50 pm
"Wait and see what declarations are made" seems to be the only defense coming from Johnson and his people re: funding of the refurb. Sounds to me like they know they've fucked up but don't want it to come out until after 6th May.

(Working a lot atm and wrote this yesterday, has aged fine today though now I've caught up...)

Well quite. Apparently this is also "under review" by the cabinet secretary for the next few weeks. Sorry, but if so it is a simple matter of dates of the ridiculous "renovation" (of the most renovated flat in existence), and who paid what when. 5 minutes with bank statements and contractor's invoices would suffice - at least it would if it was the "little people" (us) who fell under suspicion. They are covering something up. The media, and actually the select committee who questioned the cabinet secretary, are failing us here; anyone with an ounce of sense could ask the right questions and yet they don't. This could be resolved in no time. Aside - today they voted against banning leaseholders being liable for footing the bill for dangerous cladding, yet the PM can quite happily choose not to pay for new sofas for himself??? (Until of course someone acts as his conscience and tells him it might not be a good idea).

I have been working so not well up on whether there has much discussion of this out in the world, but surely the dates are important? I.e. if this flat stuff went on in July 2019 say, then it would look comparatively better than say mid-very bad-pandemic-response in 2020 when you would think it should be all hands on deck at No. 10, rather than wallpaper selection. Anyone know?

RE the alleged "let the bodies pile high" comment. Frankly the government's defence is correct  - this is Westminster tittle-tattle. I.e. who may or may not have said what when in an SW postcode = nonsense, unless of course a recording emerges. The simple fact is regardless of of what words were or were not used, the bodies *have* piled high. It seems like the media have forgotten this fact and preferred to concentrate on more "Westminster tittle-tattle" about whether this is "cutting through". There are circa 150,000 families for whom it has cut through pretty definitively.

RE the Cummings factor. The man is known as a liar throughout the land since last year, so obviously we shouldn't believe him should we? However there was one notable group of people who apparently believed every word he said RE his trip to Barnard Castle....at the time......

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#887 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 08:45:21 pm
Well you may find Cummings to be an unreliable witness Nigel, but we have it on the PM's authority that he isn't. So presumably no 10 will shortly confirm the allegations. :)

TobyD

• forum hero
#888 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 11:23:50 pm

(Working a lot atm and wrote this yesterday, has aged fine today though now I've caught up...)

Well quite. Apparently this is also "under review" by the cabinet secretary for the next few weeks. Sorry, but if so it is a simple matter of dates of the ridiculous "renovation" (of the most renovated flat in existence), and who paid what when. 5 minutes with bank statements and contractor's invoices would suffice - at least it would if it was the "little people" (us) who fell under suspicion. They are covering something up. The media, and actually the select committee who questioned the cabinet secretary, are failing us here; anyone with an ounce of sense could ask the right questions and yet they don't. This could be resolved in no time. Aside - today they voted against banning leaseholders being liable for footing the bill for dangerous cladding, yet the PM can quite happily choose not to pay for new sofas for himself??? (Until of course someone acts as his conscience and tells him it might not be a good idea).

I have been working so not well up on whether there has much discussion of this out in the world, but surely the dates are important? I.e. if this flat stuff went on in July 2019 say, then it would look comparatively better than say mid-very bad-pandemic-response in 2020 when you would think it should be all hands on deck at No. 10, rather than wallpaper selection. Anyone know?

RE the alleged "let the bodies pile high" comment. Frankly the government's defence is correct  - this is Westminster tittle-tattle. I.e. who may or may not have said what when in an SW postcode = nonsense, unless of course a recording emerges. The simple fact is regardless of of what words were or were not used, the bodies *have* piled high. It seems like the media have forgotten this fact and preferred to concentrate on more "Westminster tittle-tattle" about whether this is "cutting through". There are circa 150,000 families for whom it has cut through pretty definitively.

RE the Cummings factor. The man is known as a liar throughout the land since last year, so obviously we shouldn't believe him should we? However there was one notable group of people who apparently believed every word he said RE his trip to Barnard Castle....at the time......

The point of why the bodies comment if it is proven really matters,  is surely that it was part of a heated debate about the autumn 2020 lockdown delay and Johnson's callous indifference to heath concerns at the expense of being concerned about his own popularity and the economy?

As to its veracity or otherwise,  its very much like the 350 million for the NHS slogan which was obviously rubbish; similarly it's easy to imagine both Cummings making it up in his own interest, and Johnson having said it. In the end though, nothing will come out of it I suspect.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#889 Re: Politics 2020
April 28, 2021, 11:54:12 pm

I'm sure this was part of the part of an episode of The Thick of It.

TobyD

• forum hero
#890 Re: Politics 2020
April 30, 2021, 07:50:37 am

I'm sure this was part of the part of an episode of The Thick of It.

I think the current administration thought that was the instruction manual for government.

They really, really need to go. The cladding crisis is literally bankrupting thousands of people.

seankenny

• forum hero
#891 Re: Politics 2020
April 30, 2021, 10:12:09 am

As a member of one of those 150,000 families I can say the bodies comment is categorically not Westminster tittle tattle.

TobyD

• forum hero
#892 Re: Politics 2020
April 30, 2021, 12:56:33 pm

As a member of one of those 150,000 families I can say the bodies comment is categorically not Westminster tittle tattle.

I'm really sorry to hear that Sean.
I think that the comment is an insight into Boris Johnson's character which is actually obvious from some of his actions; in that he is definitely not the good humoured funster which he expends a lot of effort to pretend to be. He is a rather darker, crueller character who will throw people out of the party if they disagree with him or stand in his way. He will  (and does) lie, cheat and screw without caring one iota about anyone else. He appears unconcerned by how his actions might affect anyone else, and interested only in his own pleasure and enrichment. I don't, needless to say, think that these are ideal qualities in a Prime Minister.

TobyD

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
#894 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 10:18:23 am
The wallpaper was supplied by a Tory/VoteLeave donor too…

Though whether that meant he got it for free (should have been logged..) or was ripped off for it 😁 remain both equally possible and uncertain!

There’s one of the most gushingly effusive ‘critiques’ of Boris by Laura K on the BBC website today - that really she should be embarrassed about…

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#895 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 10:19:31 am

Though whether that meant he got it for free

Benefit in kind- gifts are declarable.

TobyD

• forum hero
#896 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 11:15:18 am

There’s one of the most gushingly effusive ‘critiques’ of Boris by Laura K on the BBC website today - that really she should be embarrassed about…

I read this since you mentioned it,  I generally like LK, and think that she is an extremely talented and well connected journalist.  However,  on this I agree with you.  I have not seen any other commentary about the PM's conduct which is so mealy mouthed,  he is lying,  in that he's openly trying to mislead parliament.  Starmer's comments at pmqs were strategically canny, as he quoted the ministers code after the PM's reply saying that ministers who knowingly misled parliament should resign.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56624437

Unfortunately,  the Conservatives will probably win in Hartlepool next week,  and most of the media will spin this as a victory for Johnson and evidence that Starmer isn't cutting the mustard.  This is rubbish, it's one of the strongest leave voting areas of the country,  and Labour only won last time because UKIP or whatever they were called at the time split the leave / Conservative vote share. Brexit redefined voting patterns in many areas of the country and will continue to do so for years.

TobyD

• forum hero
#897 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 11:17:22 am

Though whether that meant he got it for free

Benefit in kind- gifts are declarable.

Johnson is obviously guilty of this and more, however they are obviously lining Ben Elliot up to take the rap for it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#898 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 02:00:29 pm
The builders* working for us at the moment all voted Tory last election “because the other bloke was hopeless wasn’t he” - have all been chatting about Tory sleaze and Boris lying/flat expenses this week. See what happens on Thursday but I’d be surprised if it didn’t have some effect…

*anti brexit, generally pretty sensible/centrist views on things…

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#899 Re: Politics 2020
May 02, 2021, 02:59:32 pm
Not sure quite where to put this excerpt of Musa Okwonga’s reflection on his education at Eton, so here it goes. https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/eton-privilege-nurtured-uk-power-structures-systemic-racism-forged-952620

Thoughts on the undesirability of power contained within such a tight group of people.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal