UKBouldering.com

Topic split: Hunt sabbing (Read 1876 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 09:59:58 am
Thanks Mark. That alleges that the police fabricated reasons for illegal stop and search on 2 occasions with different officers that day.  :no:

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 10:27:57 am
Thanks Mark. That alleges that the police fabricated reasons for illegal stop and search on 2 occasions with different officers that day.  :no:

I used to sab the North Staffs Hunt back in the 80s; they were so useless they didn't need our help in not catching foxes. Obviously, hunting was legal then - as was sabbing - but it was always clear where the police's sympathies lay. I doubt that's changed very much.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 10:38:48 am

I used to sab the North Staffs Hunt back in the 80s; they were so useless they didn't need our help in not catching foxes. Obviously, hunting was legal then - as was sabbing - but it was always clear where the police's sympathies lay. I doubt that's changed very much.
See, I don’t get this.
Where I grew up, the hunt consisted mostly of wealthy “outsiders” , who were despised by the local farmers (quite able to keep down any foxes that bothered their sheep with a couple of hours and a Twelve-bore). The hunt damaged fields, fences, hedges and (sin of sins) left gates open. The local coppers were constructively difficult. Handing out ticket for obstructing highways, bald tyres etc etc to the hoard of scarf wearing, Land rover and Volvo driving women that “followed” the hunt. One of the reasons the locals started putting barb wire fences a little in from the hedges, was to leave a nasty surprise for those that jumped the hedge without looking...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 10:41:42 am
The big difference is that it is an offence to obstruct highways so the police action in that case would be lawful. Fabricating justifications for stop and search - if that is proven- is most definitely not.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 10:58:41 am
The big difference is that it is an offence to obstruct highways so the police action in that case would be lawful. Fabricating justifications for stop and search - if that is proven- is most definitely not.

No, it’s the police attitude that baffles me. I’m thinking, that in my youth, the local coppers were just that. It was “Heartbeat”, my dad was that copper (he reckons that series was the most accurate he ever saw). They were part of the community they policed and they reflected that. The hunt were the outsiders.
I wonder which has changed. Are the coppers outsiders in the community or are they still “locals” and the Sabs the outsiders? If the latter, a change in tactics is needed on the part of the Sabs. I know there are more “gentleman farmers” around these days, but it seems likely that all the old objections to the hunt are still valid. The “we’re the people of the countryside” shit, that gets trotted out by some cap doffing “master of the hounds” to idiot urbanite journalists, has always pissed me off (along with most of my relatives on my mothers side, who still farm all over North Cornwall). For sure I know a few classmates from school, who both farm and hunt, but pretty sure they’re all large Dutchy or “Manor” farm types and a minority.

Edit:

Actually the difference is sectarian.
Church (posh) or Chapel (most) or CofE and Methodist, if you prefer.
Sometimes, when I was young, the Chapel people would refer to the Church types as”English”, something they did not consider themselves to be, at heart.
A new CofE vicar, caused ructions in the late ‘70s by swapping out the George flag on the church tower, for one defaced by the Cornish flag in the upper pole quadrant. When he offered to do “combined” Christmas services with the also new Methodist Minister (fresh back from missionary work in Zambia and a guitar playing, happy clappy christian, replacing the black clad, fire and brimstone, temperance, wanker (died mid rant, in the pulpit, spittle flying)), the village elders all required medical assistance, on both sides of the divide...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 11:08:02 am by Oldmanmatt »

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 11:32:25 am
The hunt were the outsiders ... Are the coppers outsiders in the community or are they still “locals” and the Sabs the outsiders?

Different local cultures, perhaps reflecting different local social structures (pattern of landowning; is there a real gentry etc.?)? The North Staffs was a far from grand hunt, a million miles from the Quorn and their ilk - I think the hunt really was primarily local farmers. Anyway, this is going seriously off topic.

mark s

• junky
#6 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 12:21:20 pm
I've been in contact last year with the staffs hunt sabs. I so really want to join them and help. My issue is I don't take threats very well. If I was approached or threatened in the way the hunters do before I think I'd be fighting. It obvious how corrupt the police are in supporting the chunts. I'd be done for god knows what.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#7 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 12:32:38 pm
A friend of mine is a hunt dab and they say that a lot of the hunt attendees are current or ex-police chiefs and judges. I guess that’s why the police response is how it is. Good to know those people are keen to uphold the letter of the law.

andy popp

• forum hero
#8 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 12:57:44 pm
My issue is I don't take threats very well. If I was approached or threatened in the way the hunters do before I think I'd be fighting.

God, I hated sabbing. I've always recoiled from any hint of physical confrontation. I only sabbed for a couple of seasons but for that time would spend every winter Saturday morning in a misery of anxiety and fear.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 01:17:24 pm
A friend of mine is a hunt dab

I hope you call him out, and send him back around.

T_B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 01:23:24 pm
She/her if it’s the same friend.

Duncan campbell

• junky
#11 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 04:15:40 pm
Well yes, maybe but maybe I was trying to not give any games away. (Not exactly sure why just thought it best to)

Edit: see that you are replying to Chris not me Tom!  :slap:

jshaw

• addict
#12 Re: Topic split: Hunt sabbing
January 06, 2021, 05:37:26 pm
To contrast the above, where I grew up the hunt was 50-60% run and attended by local landowning farmers, farming-associated families and young farmers association. The rest being anyone local who owned a horse and fancied joining in. Very few 'outsiders'. Very few sabs that I remember too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal