UKBouldering.com

New years bouldering, North Cornwall. (Read 2250 times)

csl

• junky
New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 19, 2019, 01:49:51 pm
I'm going to be near Wadebridge for a week over new years and hoping to get out for a couple of morning climbs.

Looks like I'm about 30 mins from Tintagel and have always wanted to check out Superbloc. I saw a few things down there have had January ticks previously on UKC so assume it must be alright given good tides and weather?

Any other recommendations for a nice spot for a solo boulderer with some 6B+ to 7A+ stuff to try.

jstrongman

• player
  • http://vimeo.com/user4955702
#1 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 19, 2019, 03:02:33 pm
Superbloc provided swells not too big should be good. There is some stuff on the beach at Mother Ivey's https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=16829.0

You also cannot beat a crisp morning session on Helman Tor or  Bodmin moor, of which Trewortha is probably the best, but is a probably a 45min drive from Wadebridge. Carbilly is probably closest, not a huge amount, but some quality and also close to the Blisland inn, which is a great pub with massive range of beers!.

If the weather is crap there is the new Tide climbing centre www.tideclimbing.com, which good coffee and some well set problems.

Ged

• junky
#2 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 23, 2019, 02:51:41 pm
Every time I've been to mother iveys in recent years, the sand level is really high compared to when I did the cool 7a thing. Don't know if that was a freakishly low year, or it's been high ever since. The starting holds are below sand level. Shame, as its a classy problem.

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
#3 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 27, 2019, 10:28:39 pm
I'm going to be near Wadebridge for a week over new years and hoping to get out for a couple of morning climbs.

Looks like I'm about 30 mins from Tintagel and have always wanted to check out Superbloc. I saw a few things down there have had January ticks previously on UKC so assume it must be alright given good tides and weather?

Any other recommendations for a nice spot for a solo boulderer with some 6B+ to 7A+ stuff to try.

I am down on the south coast near Helston for the week from today. I am keen to escape the family/ get out climbing for a Couple of days. Hopefully this Sunday. Would be keen to get down to tintagel as the last time I went it was under water. Also keen for Carn brea where I might go on Sunday if I can negotiate. Let me know what days you are out and if you fancy booking up with an aged spotter!

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 28, 2019, 11:59:29 am
Carn brea is a LOT closer than tintagel from Helston, and a lovely spot if the weather's decent. As others said, check tides and swell for tintagel stuff. Won't get much, if any, sun this time of year.

Ged

• junky
#5 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 28, 2019, 02:18:47 pm
In this damp grim weather, I suspect tintagel will be a no go. I went down once when it was like this, and the rock platform was like an ice rink. Quite sketchy.

deacon

• addict
#6 Re: New years bouldering, North Cornwall.
December 29, 2019, 08:27:38 am

I am down on the south coast near Helston for the week from today. I am keen to escape the family/ get out climbing for a Couple of days. Hopefully this Sunday. Would be keen to get down to tintagel as the last time I went it was under water. Also keen for Carn brea where I might go on Sunday if I can negotiate. Let me know what days you are out and if you fancy booking up with an aged spotter!
[/quote]

I'm down from Sheffield, staying in Mullion (so not far from Helston at all) and keen to get out. Safe, competent, not a wanker. I don't have pads but do have a rack. Keen for bouldering or routes :)

If its today I'll have to be finished by 12 but should be fine any other day.
Deacon

csl

• junky

Sorry I didn't log on for the last week so never saw this message! Hope you managed to get out.

I got 90 mins down at Tintagel around low tide yesterday, everything was climbable and I can't wait for a return trip with a few more pads!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal