UKBouldering.com

Kid-friendly euro tour (Read 2200 times)

Yossarian

• forum hero
Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 09:37:14 am
We had a fun time in Font this summer, but it was a bit hot and we’re aiming for Easter / autumn instead next year. What I’m keen to plan is a 2 week (possibly spilling over into a couple more days) bouldering trip in July / August.

Criteria are:
Decent stuff in the 6 to low 7 range
Not too many horrendous landings - we’d prob have one big pad and 2x small
Generally fun for kids (age 5 and 9)
Some other things to do - mountain walks / exploring, plus stream swimming might be enough. 5-year-old is just up for a mission.
Car / tent camping

Daughter is keen on the idea of Magic Wood for a few days as she’s watched quite a few vids and thinks it looks amazing. I wondered about Silvretta too. I liked Cimaganda / Prestone, though its not massive and not that near anywhere else. Didn’t really get on with Mello - a lot of the stuff we found in the woods at Val Masino was a bit overgrown - but with a better plan / strategy it might work. I’m not up to speed on other Swiss destinations, and this could well be where we need to consider.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 10:12:26 am
You going to take a rope and some draws for topropeable easy routes too?

Yossarian

• forum hero
#2 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 10:22:49 am
Possibly. My priority is more a proper bouldering trip in which my kids get to do a little of that sort of thing, as opposed to a kids climbing trip in which I might get to do something I want to do if I’m lucky...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 11:45:22 am
We've been to the Les Gets / Arve / Giffre area before in the summer and had a great time.
Not masses of bouldering, but there is the Chamonix stuff close by, plus lakes for swimming / boating, via ferrata, mountain railways, chairlifts and cable cars St Bernard Centre, marmots, etc etc. cycling, Annecy, etc.

The leisure area up at Les Contamines is especially good for kids, rowing boats, easy routes, swimming lake, horse rides etc etc. The one at Samoens is great too.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 01:26:11 pm
Went to magic wood this summer with our son, who is younger than your two (age 3) but enjoys stomping round forests and is a very strong walker for his age.   He enjoyed playing in the forest and by the river but I/we didn't stray too far up the hill as it is pretty hard work and the ground is a bit dodgy in areas.   The bouldering is a bit better suited to larger human beings but there is quite a decent amount to go at so I am sure you will find something appropriate if you go.   We stayed in an air b and b in an adjacent valley which was excellent and reasonably priced (for Switzerland) because the campsite seems a bit grim, I can send you the link if you want.

crzylgs

• stalker
#5 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 02:09:06 pm
Re: the grim Magic Wood campsite... If you stay there I'd recommend the higher step of the 'over flow' section, which is over the road from the toilet and wash block. It's still a very short walk but gets you away from the noise, lights, smells etc.

We ended up there and have no complaints. Feel very sorry (also question the minds) for some people who pitched tents ~2m from gents loos etc

Yossarian

• forum hero
#6 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 04, 2019, 02:30:30 pm
Tim - yes please. I did think that strategic AirBnB booking could make things easier / more relaxing than sharing a tent with a flatulent 5-year-old for my entire summer holiday...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#7 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 05, 2019, 08:55:49 am
I think I need to get a copy of Swiss Bloc 1 (or Alpen en Bloc 1?) as that seems to have the most stuff that’s good in the summer. Also noticed that a new version of Mello Boulder came out last year, which might provide some added syke...

T_B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 05, 2019, 09:08:09 am
We've been to Targasonne in August. It's cooler than places like Font, but as with most granite I find it's more conditions dependent. Plus it's very rough/sharp, so it was a bit frustrating. Nice campsite, other stuff to do as it's semi-Alpine.

Annot. Went there last summer. The bouldering is in a forest at 1000m. Seemed fine for most people.

A lot of people go to Ailefroide of course.

I've shelved Silvretta as it sounds very rough/awkward landings/lift required or big walk in. Probs brilliant for other family stuff.

Mello always sounds like it would be too hot.

I still maintain Font is amazing in summer (August seems better than July). I've had 50 climbing days there the past four summers, with maybe 4 or 5 days where it's either been too hot/humid or rain. And 4 or 5 days where it's been cool (normally after rain) and I've climbed as hard as I've climbed on any of those February trips with perfect connies pre-kids. Admittedly I end up using a lot of liquid chalk and it takes longer to do stuff but in pure climbing terms there's just so much to do and I never tire of exploring the place, plus the kids love it (age 6 and 8 this past summer).

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:15:11 am by T_B »

Yossarian

• forum hero
#9 Re: Kid-friendly euro tour
December 05, 2019, 09:48:38 am
We had a great time in Font this summer (I think you may have been at Le Lido at the same time we were) but living in the far SE we should be getting out there more often / on shorter trips. And daughter is syked by the alpine stuff.

I thought Cimaganda was the ultimate kid friendly location being grassy meadow scattered with boulders, streams / cowbells etc, and maybe St Gottard / Sustenpass would be bigger versions of that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal