UKBouldering.com

New Music 2019 (Read 12185 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
#25 Re: New Music 2019
January 22, 2020, 01:34:30 pm
I was actually quite disappointed by Tool's new album. I thought it sounded quite dated and I really couldn't understand why it had taken over a decade to release. Obviously the stellar musicianship and craft where still there is spades, but it didn't feel like there was a single new musical idea or direction that I hadn't heard from them previously. Felt too safe, which isn't what I expected from Tool.

Yeah, I agree. It was most definitely Tool, but without anything particularly new or different. Good Tool is still great music, but it was definitely safe.

JamieG

• forum hero
#26 Re: New Music 2019
January 22, 2020, 04:00:48 pm
@Durbs Let’s hope their next album isn’t another decade in the making and isn’t quite so safe. Ruffle a few feathers!

@Fiend Good shout on Ithaca. That is quite a wall of noise they produce. It’s fantastic! Also based on your music taste and knowing your a fan of computer games, have you played Thumper? It’s a Rhythm game with a heavy electronic soundtrack. The developers call it ‘Rhythm violence’ and it is a genuinely intense experience playing it at times. Supposed to be even more crazy in VR.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#27 Re: New Music 2019
January 22, 2020, 06:53:17 pm
Crzylgs, oops what a shambles, here's the correct link:

https://functionrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/album/shadows-compilation-lp

I can recommend much filthier dnb to put Special Request into perspective if you like? Might dig some out for the dnb thread later ;)

Jamie G - yeah Ithaca are a recent discovery in one of my semi-regular chase up metal bands with female shrieker moments... A Holy Roar special gig of Rolo, ETS and them would be something quite spectacular... I haven't heard of that Thumper game, I'm not sure rhythm games are my thing? Will check out a video tho.

crzylgs

• stalker
#28 Re: New Music 2019
January 22, 2020, 10:43:06 pm
Had a quick skip through that 'Shadows' compilation... I could see myself sticking that on while training. Cheers

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: New Music 2019
January 23, 2020, 09:49:54 am
If you like that, one of his early comps is even better:

https://functionrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/album/digital-synthesis-download

crzylgs

• stalker
#30 Re: New Music 2019
January 26, 2020, 12:12:14 pm
If you like that, one of his early comps is even better:

https://functionrecordsuk.bandcamp.com/album/digital-synthesis-download

Had a listen to this while I trained on Friday. Decent. My personal fave and standout track has to be 'Rise' had that on my hard repeat since. I know it's probably the least 'Drum and Bassy' song on there but :shrug: I like its 'bouncey' and slightly progressive building tune/rhythm. Which are both more my kind of thing than DnB. Also, yes I know my musical terminology lingo is a solid 1/10.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#31 Re: New Music 2019
February 01, 2020, 05:07:56 pm
Jake Xerxes Fussel is touring the UK this May. He’s supposed to be great love.

Although not 2019, the new Terry Allen “Just Like Moby Dick“ is really special.

Been digging 75 Dollar Bill’s “I was Real” too. 

Plattsy

• forum hero
#32 Re: New Music 2019
February 03, 2020, 02:29:41 pm
Having spent a lot of time in 2018 at work listening to things like Jon Hopkins Singularity, Johan Johansson scores and Hans Zimmer stuff I went on a bit of a ambient odyssey. I quite enjoy coding to this type of music. Anyway here is a selection of the stuff I most enjoyed in 2019.

Biosphere - Substrata

Tim Hecker - Virgins

Stars Of The Lid - Stars Of The Lid And Their Refinement Of The Decline

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II

Folks Rabe - What

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#33 Re: New Music 2019
February 07, 2020, 06:48:45 pm
Sheffield folk.. Sunburned Hand of the Man are playing on May 17th.  Go see if you can.  They were one of the best live performances I saw during the 2010’s... mental.

Mugabe251

• blockedImageProfile
  • regular
#34 Re: New Music 2019
February 07, 2020, 07:02:10 pm
Really enjoyed this, dare I say, very Fiend-esque offering. A churning, gurgling, rip-roaring synthesis of his musical tastes and irritable bowel disease culminating in this masterpiece:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#35 Re: New Music 2019
February 09, 2020, 09:46:45 pm
@ Plattsy - Good call on the Stars of the Lid - saw them live in Nottingham 2+ years ago - very memorable gig indeed.

Recommend checking out Labradford - its a personal favourite of mine but especially E Luxo So - a very beautiful minimalist record which was my introdution to them. Also recommend PanAmerican - a spin off from Labradford. I only have their eponymous first album and haven't listened to it in quite a while - something I must rectify but it is very good.

Personal favourite from last year was Kristin Hersh's Crooked album - originally released as a book with download links - details here - it was re-released for Record Store day. I picked it up on a bit of a hunch since having adored one of her earlier albums 'Sunny Border Blue' for a very long time and seeing her live in Huddersfield doing a solo acoustic session the year before didn't make it a hard sell to be honest. Since seen her in Bristol in full band mode and then a gig half electric solo and the other half with a cello player late last year. By far and away my favourite gig for a very long time - one of those which you will take to your death bed quite happily but I will admit to being a somewhat ardent fan boy here.  :wub:  ;)

https://youtu.be/zpAajq8bXgc?list=OLAK5uy_ly7rC2hLzbiI8w962D0-kp3LNKGGGogn8

Made a pigs ear of the link - sorry.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:54:52 pm by butters »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: New Music 2019
February 10, 2020, 08:36:51 am
More 2020 than 2019, but great new song from our own shurt

Tom J

#37 Re: New Music 2019
February 23, 2020, 01:29:16 am
My annual post of gratitude to the OP for this thread.

I'm currently in a bit of an early mid life crisis so drove down to Bishop (~21 hrs on the road) last week. Downloaded a bunch of stuff from here for the drive and it turned into a tussle between Jake Xerxes and Lankum, exchanging leads on the play counter for the first 15 hours or so before Lankum just pulled away and haven't looked back. That album is now a morning ritual in the Pit, loud on the headphones while I watch the sun up and drink coffee/smoke/avoid the eyes of my neighbours so that I can finish the album in peace..... awesome, all consuming, resonating somehow with my current weird, rootless life situation/psychological state, thanks so much for the recommendation.

The only 2019 album I listened to was 'Leylines" by Rising Appalachia - nice, quite gentle American folk music, like a sort of pretty rolling foothill to the monumental, craggy bastions of Mt Lankum.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:45:56 am by Tom J »

mark s

• junky
#38 Re: New Music 2019
February 25, 2020, 05:20:57 pm
Not a new band, infact he died 40 years ago. I went my 1st gig in years at the weekend. A joy division tribute band.  It made me realise what a fucking amazing experience it must have been to see them live.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#39 Re: New Music 2019
March 14, 2020, 02:39:34 pm
My annual post of gratitude to the OP for this thread.

I'm currently in a bit of an early mid life crisis

Hey Tom - thanks & hope you're doing OK.  If you fancy some reading, try James Hollis' - The Middle Passage.  It was a literal lifesaver for me ten years ago.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#40 Re: New Music 2019
August 22, 2020, 09:33:54 pm
Sheffield folk.. Sunburned Hand of the Man are playing on May 17th.  Go see if you can.  They were one of the best live performances I saw during the 2010’s... mental.

Shit. Just realised my wife would have been supporting this gig playing a Rhys Chatham drone piece. Gutted. Fingers crossed it might happen some time anyway.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#41 Re: New Music 2019
August 23, 2020, 12:13:06 pm
Thats ace man. What a shame it was cancelled.  Hopefully it come round again.

JamieG

• forum hero
#42 Re: New Music 2019
April 06, 2021, 04:43:47 pm

Lankum - Live the Livelong Day
https://lankum.bandcamp.com/album/the-livelong-day
Dublin folk punks Lankum hit the (semi) big time with a Rough Trade signing and the resources to record an absolute belter of an album. It’s as if Godspeed you Black Emperor, the Dubliners and The Waterson’s collaborated.  Singer Radie Peat has a powerful, haunting voice and the songs themselves are dark, moody and moving.

I totally slept on this! Until my brother recently re-recommended it to me. What an album! Such a fantastic mix of warm folk tunes, harmonies and melodies with really dark brooding instrumentation and singing. Sometimes folk music can feel so stuffy, getting stuck in too much tradition, so this album is such a breath of fresh air. Well more like a breaking storm of fresh air!

Best thing I've listened to this year (2021) only 2 years behind the trend, which is actually pretty good for me. :-)

Duma

• forum hero
#43 Re: New Music 2019
April 07, 2021, 08:04:17 am
That was excellent, very much improved my commute! Cheers for the bump JamieG, and the original tip FD.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#44 Re: New Music 2019
April 07, 2021, 03:31:18 pm
Glad to hear it Jamie and Duma. 👍

Tom J

#45 Re: New Music 2019
May 12, 2021, 03:58:50 pm
Lankum's two earlier albums are fantastic too. Both feature a few more traditional, jaunty/comic 'pub style' folk songs but mixed in with a bunch of more drawn out, dirgey versions of ancient folk songs.

Their versions of 'what put the blood' and 'Turkish reveille' are stunning, and original songs like Granite Gaze too.

I find some of those old folk ballads kinda fascinating, they give eerie insights into the minds of people from the distant past and the contrast with modern morals seems quite stark in places. For example 'what put the blood' tells the story of a guy who murders his brother, tells his mum, and then matter of factly discusses how he'll have to leave the country and who can have his house/kids/dogs etc. The only hint at a motivation for the murder is some strange lyric about his brother cutting a tree/branch which will now be denied the chance to grow, presumably a euphemism for a murder or something.
Throughout this his mum, who's son has just murdered her other son, is just like 'huh, bummer, what will you tell your dad etc'....

Tom J

#46 Re: New Music 2019
May 12, 2021, 04:00:28 pm
Hey Tom - thanks & hope you're doing OK.  If you fancy some reading, try James Hollis' - The Middle Passage.  It was a literal lifesaver for me ten years ago.

Just saw this - I'm back on track now, thanks!

JamieG

• forum hero
#47 Re: New Music 2019
May 12, 2021, 05:47:53 pm
Lankum's two earlier albums are fantastic too. Both feature a few more traditional, jaunty/comic 'pub style' folk songs but mixed in with a bunch of more drawn out, dirgey versions of ancient folk songs.

Their versions of 'what put the blood' and 'Turkish reveille' are stunning, and original songs like Granite Gaze too.

I find some of those old folk ballads kinda fascinating, they give eerie insights into the minds of people from the distant past and the contrast with modern morals seems quite stark in places. For example 'what put the blood' tells the story of a guy who murders his brother, tells his mum, and then matter of factly discusses how he'll have to leave the country and who can have his house/kids/dogs etc. The only hint at a motivation for the murder is some strange lyric about his brother cutting a tree/branch which will now be denied the chance to grow, presumably a euphemism for a murder or something.
Throughout this his mum, who's son has just murdered her other son, is just like 'huh, bummer, what will you tell your dad etc'....

Old folk song lyrics are definitely super interesting and often very dark. As I understand it, things like murder ballads often started as a form of local news. The details of a trial/conviction would be printed and placed up in towns, but since most people couldn't read the local musician (presumably who'd had a bit more education) would set the story to a traditional song and then sing the news/gossip to the crowd for a bit of money, presumably in the pub. Then these stories got embellished and details changed to fit the various locales that the musicians travelled too and started to become folk standards. I guess the more gory and darker the details the more than people enjoyed them and those songs stuck in the repertoire. Everyone loves a bit of scandal after all. I'm sure I watched a youtube video about the history of murder ballads, but can't find it now. But here's an interesting article that covers the same topic.

https://daily.jstor.org/the-murder-ballad-was-the-original-true-crime-podcast/

JamieG

• forum hero
#48 Re: New Music 2019
May 12, 2021, 05:56:08 pm
Here's an interesting video about broadsheet ballads.

And an entire archive of them if you are interested including recordings and images.

https://ebba.english.ucsb.edu/

Tom J

#49 Re: New Music 2019
May 12, 2021, 07:52:23 pm
Jamie - good knowledge that's brilliant! Funnily enough I haven't found the modern True Crime boom particularly interesting, the Georgian/Victorian stuff is somehow much more compelling  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal