UKBouldering.com

Help me design a bespoke 'UKB verified' pre-workout! (Read 8224 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
I find it quite shocking that this thread is contemplating all sorts of dietary 'supplements' to help people climb rocks.
Amen brother.

petejh

• forum hero
This may be an unpopular post but....

I find it quite shocking that this thread is contemplating all sorts of dietary 'supplements' to help people climb rocks. For sure - take training seriously - but to this level?? I'm presuming none of the posters here are elite rock athletes - so doesnt this all seem a bit overkill?

*shrugs*

I agree (while being interested in the effects on the body of different foods and supplements and a long-time curious experimenter with creatine, beta-al, concentrated beetroot juice and various other supps). On a scale of what will have most effect to improve climbing performance, 'supplements' must be on one end and 'doing climbing' on the other.
To play devil's advocate TT, do you feel the same way about dieting to maintain/lose weight to climb rocks?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
I'll never forget the eye roll TT gave when he asked what was in the flask I started drinking from back at the car after we'd been bouldering and I told him it was a protein shake.

tomtom

• forum hero
To play devil's advocate TT, do you feel the same way about dieting to maintain/lose weight to climb rocks?

If you make yourself ill/unwell then yes... (some of the fasting talk seems to fall into that category to me - but I am a grazer who's blood sugar level needs to be kept fairly regularly fueled). Being a healthy weight is beneficial for far more than climbing of course.... Maintaining a healthy weight can be readily achieved with will power (regarding consumption) and exercise - not medication (except for a few).

I'll never forget the eye roll TT gave when he asked what was in the flask I started drinking from back at the car after we'd been bouldering and I told him it was a protein shake.

:D Pint of skimmed milk has enough protein non? :)

tomtom

• forum hero
I think I sound a bit preachy in my OP - didnt mean to, so knock yerselves out if thats your bag - but its not mine. 

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

:D Pint of skimmed milk has enough protein non? :)

Possibly but a whole pint  in one :sick:

Steve R

• forum abuser
think I now have a better sense of what happens in capegoat's brain when he sees the words 'max hangs'

mark s

• junky
ive never really been into pre workout supplements
although maybe 8 years ago there was one called jack3d made by usp labs I think. I was unreal, but like all supplements that actually work it got banned. i think it might be the origin of '2 scoops'

i tried creatine a few times but never found any benefit in training or strength. haven't used it for years.

crzylgs

• stalker
Jack3D was mental. A friend gave me some yonks ago, being less than honest about its potency. Full on heart pumping through chest, staring up at the ceiling while lying in bed... As if I'd smashed as many cans of over-caffeinated sugary drink company as a certain sponsored climber suggests might be healthy on their Instagram  :2thumbsup:

Wasn't surprised to find its ingredients made their way onto restricted lists. FWIW I believe it was the duranium (spelling?) extract that was the really potent component.

Bradders

• forum hero
This may be an unpopular post but....

I find it quite shocking that this thread is contemplating all sorts of dietary 'supplements' to help people climb rocks. For sure - take training seriously - but to this level?? I'm presuming none of the posters here are elite rock athletes - so doesnt this all seem a bit overkill?

*shrugs*

On the one hand; different strokes for different folks. You don't have to be a pro with all the insta sponsors to want to maximise your climbing abilities, so if nailing your nutrition is one of the things that will get you there (and it's surely indisputable that it is for most people), then why not?

However, my experience with supplements is that they actually had the extremely negative effect of allowing me to train more than my body, and particularly my fingers, could handle; with the natural result that I picked up multiple finger injuries.

I've had much better, slower but more consistent results by keeping it simple, eating good whole foods, sleeping lots, drinking lots of water and playing the long game, rather than trying to turbo charge my "training performance" with all sorts of powder. Saved lots of money too.

To answer the OP's question; banana and a coffee.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
I'm just amazed that this thread is in its second page and Dan hasn't posted yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal