UKBouldering.com

Restoring Google Drive folders after OSX change (Read 1978 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Restoring Google Drive folders after OSX change
November 11, 2019, 02:32:39 pm
After realising the move to OSX Catalina was a stupid one, I’d like to restore all my Google Drive files on to my Macbook once I’ve wiped it.

I’m told you can either revert back to an earlier OS by either an external bootable hd (which I don’t own) or else there is a method to do it over wifi (which Apple Support) have sent me the instructions for.

Does anybody know how to easily restore all Google Drive files once this process has taken place since it is my sole backup and I don’t use Time Machine? I’m sure it’s an easy one and I’m just being dumb.

Paul B

• forum hero
As long as everything is sync'd then you should just be able to sign out of Gdrive just before you change OS version and then re-install Gdrive when you're OS is as you want it. It'll then sync your folders, just like if I wanted to sync my files to a new computer, I'd install Gdrive and it'd JustWorkTM.

Unless I'm missing something as a none Mac user.  :shrug:

Monolith

• forum hero
Thanks beast. Was just super paranoid with it being my only backup. It transpired it was simply a case of downloading Backup and Sync then downloading all files. It automatically mirrored the preexisting folder structure in Finder.

That Catalina issue has cost me some valuable production hours. Screw you Apple.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
That Catalina issue has cost me some valuable production hours. Screw you Apple.

The upgrade's optional though isn't it? I'm still on Mojave and willl be until I know that everything I use will work with Catalina- Apple aren't doing anything to force me to upgrade. The Mac in the recording studio at my work still works fine on Leopard!

Monolith

• forum hero

The upgrade's optional though isn't it? I'm still on Mojave and willl be until I know that everything I use will work with Catalina- Apple aren't doing anything to force me to upgrade. The Mac in the recording studio at my work still works fine on Leopard!

It is optional but the Apple Support person I spoke to over the phone regarding an iTunes issue told me to update my OS to sort the problem. He neglected to mention the 32/64 bit matter and I don't think I'll be going past Mojave for a long while yet. Nice work still having Leopard in action!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal