technical > music production

Major Mac nerd help needed - interface issue

<< < (2/7) > >>

jwi:

--- Quote from: Monolith on November 07, 2019, 11:01:02 am ---Not exactly climate friendly.

--- End quote ---

Well, it is not as easy as that. If you want to keep backward compatibility with low bitrates you need to be willing to waste a lot of computer power = heat + cooling = lots of power generation.

remus:

--- Quote from: jwi on November 07, 2019, 11:11:25 am ---Well, it is not as easy as that. If you want to keep backward compatibility with low bitrates you need to be willing to waste a lot of computer power = heat + cooling = lots of power generation.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps Im misunderstanding, but how does maintaining backwards compatibility generate significant overhead? Just thinking of some real world examples, windows is famously backwards compatible  (at an API level at least) but seems to be pretty competitive in performance terms which would suggest it's not spending loads of computing power on comparability.

Yossarian:

--- Quote from: Monolith on November 07, 2019, 11:01:02 am ---
This also got me thinking how despite Apple wish to be perceived as 'innovators' and 'disruptors', they've created a giant silicon scrapheap. Not exactly climate friendly.

--- End quote ---

I work nearly every day for a varying number of hours on a 2008 quad core Mac Pro running Lion. It’s not exactly a perfect arrangement (sticking things in Dropbox etc requires going through a browser now, and browsers in general are unreliable) but the main thing is CS6 Illustrator and InDesign still work fine.

I’ve been meaning to upgrade to a new iMac for about 5 years, but keep failing to get around to it. I have illustrated nearly five books since 2016 on this ancient system though.

I expect it’ll expire with a puff of smoke later on this afternoon now I’ve written this...

jwi:

--- Quote from: remus on November 07, 2019, 12:09:20 pm ---
--- Quote from: jwi on November 07, 2019, 11:11:25 am ---Well, it is not as easy as that. If you want to keep backward compatibility with low bitrates you need to be willing to waste a lot of computer power = heat + cooling = lots of power generation.

--- End quote ---

Perhaps Im misunderstanding, but how does maintaining backwards compatibility generate significant overhead? Just thinking of some real world examples, windows is famously backwards compatible  (at an API level at least) but seems to be pretty competitive in performance terms which would suggest it's not spending loads of computing power on comparability.

--- End quote ---

On the contrary, microsoft's commitment to backward compatibility is what makes the PC laptops enormous with really bad battery life.

Will Hunt:
Sorry to butt in here but I have a related problem.

I have a Macbook Pro. Can't remember what spec exactly but I could easily find out if it will help. It's not terribly new and not especially high spec. I want to be able to use Photoshop and some CS4 packages, but moreover, I just want to be able to use Word, open up photos, and generally navigate round in a reasonable way.

I made the foolish and naive mistake of upgrading to Mojave OS and it near enough bricked the laptop (tbf it wasn't incredible on whatever I was running before. Yosemite or El Cap I think) . If I want to do anything - even just open a browser - I have to start the laptop and let it do it's thinking for at least an hour before I've a hope of opening any application in less than minutes. I try and avoid turning the laptop off now.

Any advice on what I can do about this because it's really hindering my guidebook work. I could go back to an earlier OS but I'm not sure how I'd do that or if it's possible or whether it would sort out the problem. I could maybe install a solid state drive and hope that that improves things? Is that easy enough to do? I'm quite paranoid about losing data (I've got thousands of topo shots etc which have taken ages and ages to shoot and are basically irreplaceable). It's all backed up on a OneDrive account but still... With so much at stake the paranoia is strong!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version