UKBouldering.com

Sportiva sizing (Read 2714 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Sportiva sizing
October 30, 2019, 07:51:20 pm
I ordered a pair of Miura VSs and they've sent the right size but in the ladies model.

I can't see much difference in the tech spec of the shoe. Each has a 4mm sole: the ladies in XS Grip2 and the mens in XS Edge. Is there much difference between these rubbers?

Does anyone know if the sizing is different? They feel similar but, if anything, feel slightly less tight on first wear than the mens. Not sure if that's down to sportiva's quality control or a deliberate difference between mens and womens shoes? I'm slightly wary that they'll stretch into something too big.

Wondering if I should send them back. Might give them a whirl?

Rob F

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 30, 2019, 08:08:36 pm
Don't be daft. Your footwork will improve one hundred fold...

webbo

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 30, 2019, 08:15:17 pm
I ordered a pair of Miura VSs and they've sent the right size but in the ladies model.

I can't see much difference in the tech spec of the shoe. Each has a 4mm sole: the ladies in XS Grip2 and the mens in XS Edge. Is there much difference between these rubbers?

Does anyone know if the sizing is different? They feel similar but, if anything, feel slightly less tight on first wear than the mens. Not sure if that's down to sportiva's quality control or a deliberate difference between mens and womens shoes? I'm slightly wary that they'll stretch into something too big.

Wondering if I should send them back. Might give them a whirl?
Presumably they sent you the ladies based on what you get up to on the interweb  ;D

Bradders

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 30, 2019, 09:05:14 pm

I think, as the names suggest, the edge rubber is supposed to be stiffer and better for standing on tiny edges, whilst the grip is stickier/softer and provides better friction.

Anecdotally, I've noticed a real difference switching from the Scarpa Instinct VS (orange ones) to the VSR (blue ones), the latter using the grip rubber. I've found they're much better in pretty much every bouldering scenario I've tried them on compared to the VSs.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#4 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 10:34:01 am
Interesting, Nick. I'll give them a shot and just hope they don't bag out.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#5 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 10:41:52 am
Edge is a lot stiffer. I resoled my Vapour Velcro in Grip but have a new pair which come with Edge as well. Both soles have had a handful of sessions’ use now so are directly comparable.
The resole in Grip is much softer, and floppier when edging  ie Perfect for smearing on grit.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#6 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 10:44:25 am
Using the VS - VSR analogy, the Grip2 rubber definitely lets the shoe stretch a little bit quicker, so the breaking in time is reduced. Can't comment on how much a Sportiva shoe will bag out, but I don't find my VSRs stretch any more than my VSs. Just take less time to mould.

Also, and this is kinda obvious, the Grip2 rubber doesn't last as long as the Edge rubber.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#7 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 10:46:26 am
Is this why the shoes might have felt less tight on first wear then? The shoe itself is actually the same size but the sole has more give from the off?

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#8 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 11:03:49 am
Unlikely. I'd say it takes a few times wearing them for the stretch to start. It's more likely the fact that Miuras are still handmade in Italy.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9 Re: Sportiva sizing
October 31, 2019, 11:06:17 am
Not sure about that. My VS gripped my foot like a vice; my VSR grip my foot just the same. They just smear a bit better ( but not brilliantly, hence the Vapours).

There are gender achilles differences. I think female calf muscle also develops higher up the tendon so heel of shoe may be slightly different- you could compare with Mrs Hunt to check...

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#10 Re: Sportiva sizing
November 01, 2019, 05:29:11 pm
Sportiva used to always say the last remained the same between Men's and Women's. All that they used to change was that the Women's model was softer, with stickier rubber.

Not sure if that's still the case.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#11 Re: Sportiva sizing
November 01, 2019, 06:42:43 pm
I'd give them a go. I wear ladies Miuras and they're ace.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal