UKBouldering.com

Running in Tenerife (Read 1559 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 03:16:34 pm
We're off to Tenerife next week for 10 days and I'm hoping to keep some ascent in my legs whilst away. We're staying around Los Cristianos area and I wondered if any of you had been running from out of here? Any tips warmly welcomed.

JohnM

• junky
#1 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 03:30:05 pm
Following this thread. I just messaged a mate who has done some trail running out there this morning actually. His pictures looked great! I was thinking of heading out there the week after next to get some dry trails under my feet, maybe a bit of altitude and hopefully some warm weather to shift my 5th cold of the season! I will post some stuff here when he gets back to me.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 03:48:24 pm
Mono. There are loads of trails - well signposted. Tourist info will have stuff but I expect they’re all online.

Get some altitude training in up in the caldera for something really quite different!!

Monolith

• forum hero
#3 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 04:31:16 pm
Following this thread. I just messaged a mate who has done some trail running out there this morning actually. His pictures looked great! I was thinking of heading out there the week after next to get some dry trails under my feet, maybe a bit of altitude and hopefully some warm weather to shift my 5th cold of the season! I will post some stuff here when he gets back to me.

Nice one, thanks John! We should team up for a Cumbrian jaunt when you're next over if the stars align.

Mono. There are loads of trails - well signposted. Tourist info will have stuff but I expect they’re all online.

Get some altitude training in up in the caldera for something really quite different!!

Great to hear that, thanks Tom! Should I be looking out for bears/snakes etc. or am I safe?

Stabbsy

• junky
#4 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 04:40:21 pm
Tom/John, I did a bit out there a couple of years ago - really enjoyed it. I bought this :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenerife-Finest-Mountains-Rother-Walking/dp/3763348093/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=3170391629&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=walking+in+tenerife&qid=1580401484&s=books&sr=1-3

for a bit of inspiration, although you could probably wing it. We got a similar one for Gran Canaria when we went there the following year.

Best run we did we drove out to Arona and ran from there - up Roque del Conde and Roque de Brezos. I might still have the Strava CR on one of them! Bus to Arona from Los Cristianos would be fairly easy I'd have thought. We also walked up Guajara on the Teide caldera from Las Canadas. That would make a great run in the most part, but a couple of steep, rocky bits. Not a great run, but I'd recommend doing the Masca gorge if you can - maybe not great with a little one though.

Monolith

• forum hero
#5 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 04:43:40 pm
Awesome thanks Neil, super helpful. I think there's a small top right by our resort which if nothing else should allow for some reps/exploration locally. I'll try and grab that book too.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 04:59:08 pm
Mono - if you’ve not got a car then the busses are really good. You can easily get a bus up to a village 5-800m up the side of the volcano and run down a trail. Btw the local words for bus are Gua gua. (Pronounced gwaar gwaar)

Masca gorge is cool but maybe a bit much with the kid (taxi from los gigantes up to masca - descent 1500m in a gorge and get a boat back from the bottom.

The main bouldering area (arico) is about 10 km east.

Once you get out of the tourist areas LC is prob the biggest - then Tenerife is really good imho.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Running in Tenerife
January 30, 2020, 08:19:04 pm
Running up El Teide and down will be adequate.

Beechy

#8 Re: Running in Tenerife
February 03, 2020, 10:12:09 am
First post, be gentle. Not much of a runner myself but have spent a lot of time in Tenerife the last 30 years and am very familiar with the north side. Masca gorge is closed. Partly due to political reasons related to access and parking etc and partly for renovations to the path due to an excessive number of accidents (deaths and helicopter rescues) the past years. There are plenty of other amazing trails in the Teno Hills though. I could point you in the direction of some well-known and signposted routes or some real hidden gems that see nothing but goats and the odd hunter. Mum has rooms for rent in Masca and I left my hangboard up on the veranda, just saying.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal