UKBouldering.com

Yangshuo, recommended routes etc (Read 2038 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Yangshuo, recommended routes etc
October 28, 2019, 08:43:28 am
At the tail end of a 3.4 week trip to China me and J. are going to Yangshuo for a week of climbing.

Anyone who has been and can recommend some onsight-friendly routes 7a to 8a? Other recommendations?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#1 Re: Yangshuo, recommended routes etc
October 28, 2019, 07:40:02 pm
I've been a couple of times and really enjoyed it although some of the crags are bit noisy and polished.

The best crags were Lei Pi Shan, White Mountain and Moon Hill. Lei Pi Shan is sadly by, what is now, a pretty noisy road but there some fantastic routes there from 7a to 8a on the main wall. Single life was my first 8a. Moon hill might be banned now but if you can climb there then red dragon 8a+ (7b+ to the first lower off) and over the moon 7b+ are great routes. It has great views and you can walk round to the top but it can be quite noisy if there is still the monster truck/motorbike show going on on the other side of the valley.  White mountain is the largest crag there but the land in front of it was being used to build a driving school when I was there, apparently you can still climb but I don't know what it will be like now.  Standout routes for me were; Gin and tonic 8a - sustained slick rock, Axeman 8a - a few big moves to a boulder problem crux followed by big moves at the top on tufas, China white 7b - FA Seb Grieve, White Devil 7c, and Yangshuo Hotel 7b to name a few.

I also enjoyed banyan tree, riverside, spearhead, swiss cheese and area 51. There a lots of other crags and there are probably areas which have been developed since I was there in 2016.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Yangshuo, recommended routes etc
December 05, 2019, 11:41:31 am
Ok, to follow up with some reflections.

No one in their right mind would go from Europe to Yangshuo just for sport climbing, but I knew/suspected that much before going. A visa sets you back about €160, and closer to €250 if you like me have to fly to a visa center to hand over a bunch of docs and take some fingerprints. This is not including the opportunity cost for filling in the paper work (which should be approximately 8-10 hours times your hourly salary less the marginal tax, taking the cost of obtaining a visa to well north of € 300.) Adding the cost of getting there and I could get to and stay at way better climbing areas around the Mediterranean basin for a few months for the same cost. Otoh, for the price, the restaurant food is better at Yangshuo than at any other climbing area in the world except Greece (and quite likely Turkey/Syria/Libanon, but I have not been.)

To get to the climbing areas you more-or-less have to drive on a scooter which strikes me as insanely dangerous. If I was that willing to risk my life I would have a much better alpine CV. I am wearing a helmet when doing alpine rock routes at least.

Visiting china for other reasons that climbing might make total sense of course, and the main part of our trip was general tourism/sight-seeing. The food is amazing, some of the sights are very interesting, and thanks to my wife's contacts we could visit some factories, talk to people in business and academicians etc.

For climbing I agree with m.cooke.1421 about Lei Pi Shan. For us it was by far the best sector, and the only sector we revisited a second time. "Dream and Hope" 7c+ was the stand-out route of the ones I tried: very onsight friendly as well, but make someone else hang in the draws if possible. The sector is fairly crowded of course, and there are not many routes, not more than for a few days unless getting stuck in with a multi-day project.

We went to White Mountain the first day, but maybe because it was less overcast than promised, it did not live up to its reputation. I did the three classic 7bs (Yangshuo Hotel, China White and Phoenix) and flailed on the classic 7c (White devil) and was generally underwhelmed by the quality.

Riverside was better than White Mountain to me, but really painful with a road so close behind. You have to like slapping for jugs though, and for my wife who's a more refined taste it's an uninteresting sector.

The second best sector was Dragon city, which had by far the best rock of all sectors. Quite similar in style to Siurana, and apparently almost always deserted. The sector requires a cold overcast day though as it has a pure south-facing aspect. The stand-out routes among those I did was Angry Bird 7b and Double Dragon 7b+ (very sharp pocket, make sure that you have a decent margin on mid 7s.)

We also went to the Egg, which was OK for 6s. They are building an enormous apartment complex which should be able to host tens of thousands of people just in front of it though, so be prepared for noise...

Moon Hill is closed, likely for good.

The guidebook Yangshuo Rock - A China Climbing Guide is extremely expensive and has a lot of pages. Luckily it was out of print so the hotel let us borrow their copy. I don't think I used a worse guidebook, which says a lot since I live in France. Each climb has a (very) wordy description of immature shenanigans the guidebook writer and his homies was up to at the time of climbing/trying the route. Don't expect it to have useful info like what features the climb follows.

We stayed in "Climbers Inn" in Yangshuo which is the best hotel I've stayed in for climbing. Very simple rooms but with a 5 star service from the hosts at a 1 star price. I cannot recommend it enough.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:47:58 am by jwi »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3 Re: Yangshuo, recommended routes etc
December 05, 2019, 04:28:19 pm

andy popp

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal