UKBouldering.com

Barcelona recommendations (Read 2627 times)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 12:52:04 pm
I'm staying in Mataro (just up the coast from Barcelona) in a couple of weeks time with my wife, toddler and my sister's family. I'm hoping to get a day or two out climbing with my wife (and without the toddler), does anyone have knowledge of the area?

Looking for:
- within an hour's drive from Mataro
- single pitch sport, stuff to go at in the 6s up to mid 7s
- good rock and nice place to spend the day i.e. not a grotty cave
- navigable without a guidebook

I know Cova del Ocell is nearby, is it worthwhile below 9b? Is Montserrat good - I'd guess there's a chance it's overrun with tourists? Also how is the rock to climb (conglomerate I believe)?

Any insights much appreciated

dunnyg

• forum hero
#1 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 01:47:36 pm
Had a good few days in montserrat, was nice, can't remember when I went, but climbed multipitch up to 5 I think. I think there should be plenty of single pitch crags. Setting is pretty nice and I enjoy the conglomerate climbing. I think there is a website somewhere with some topos on in Spanish. A few tourists were around but most were mooching round the buildings rather than the hills. Sorry I can't be more help!

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 02:49:03 pm
Ok that's useful, thanks. It sounds like Montserrat would be worth a visit in its own right, so perhaps we could kill 2 birds with 1 conglomerate pebble

andy popp

• forum hero
#3 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 03:27:34 pm
Montserrat is well worth visiting, whether or not you get to climb.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#4 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 03:35:41 pm
Ok that's useful, thanks. It sounds like Montserrat would be worth a visit in its own right, so perhaps we could kill 2 birds with 1 conglomerate pebble

Absolutely. Fantastic landscape and unique climbing.

My lad (2 at the time of his first visit ) had a right panic as we were driving up to catch the funicular. He was convinced we were taking him to a “Monster rat”...

Savassona for a great “mini-Font” bouldering experience. Plenty of sandstone single pitch there too. Probably my favourite haunt in the area.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#5 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 03:38:08 pm
We drove from Near Barcelona every day and I don't remember it being painful (though I may have just forgotten!).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#6 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 16, 2019, 07:48:43 pm
Montserrat is great. Vermell del Xincarró is a good sector with a nice spread of grades. (But there is well over 5000 pitches in Montserrat and I don't claim to be a big authority, I have climbed at maybe ten sectors, tops.)

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 17, 2019, 07:20:45 am
Montserrat is great. Vermell del Xincarró is a good sector with a nice spread of grades. (But there is well over 5000 pitches in Montserrat and I don't claim to be a big authority, I have climbed at maybe ten sectors, tops.)

Agree. Agulla del Senglar looks very good too, my finger was hurt when we walked up there so didn't get on the routes but they look good.

Worth noting that these days you have to walk from El Bruc to all that stuff, the dirt roads out the back have been closed to vehicles.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Barcelona recommendations
October 17, 2019, 03:47:44 pm
I spent a few nights in a campsite in Mataro while coming back from Granada. I obviously boulderes at Can Boquet which is very close and very fun.
The train to Barcelona is very good for going with no hassle. If you do, go eat a paella at Las Siete Puertas. Book or be ready to wait an hour or two.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal