UKBouldering.com

Plant based protein (Read 17469 times)

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Plant based protein
October 13, 2019, 09:02:37 pm
I have been eating little meat for the last few years but have recently switched to a 99% plant based diet, having cut out dairy. I am still eating eggs, probably average 1 a day. I feel like I am not getting enough protein in each meal as I have an insatiable appetite and am losing weight despite eating like a horse.

Anyone reccomend any easy plant based complete protein sources or supplements?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:08:33 pm by bigironhorse »

petejh

• forum hero
#1 Re: Plant based protein
October 13, 2019, 09:19:39 pm
Almond butter. Expensive though. I use it to make almond butter/banana/egg pancakes for breakfast. Sprinkle on some mixed nuts and it's a big protein hit.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Plant based protein
October 13, 2019, 10:48:07 pm
There are relatively few sources complete plant proteins. I believe soy is; as I really enjoy cooking with tofu and tempeh this is great for me. There are some grains too and, I think almonds, as Pete mentions. I'm sure you know this but there are three mains sources of plant protein: legumes (beans, lentils etc.), grains, and nuts. There used to be a belief that you needed to be always combining from two of those groups to ensure complete proteins, e.g. beans on toast or pita and humous. I was always sceptical about the idea that you needed to make sure every meal included a combination that would provide complete proteins and that now seems to be the accepted view. Just eat a good mix across the day. I quite often eat a meal without any really significant protein source.

Some of the new fake meats such as Beyond Burger etc. obviously offer complete proteins (as must many of the older ones) but I'm not a fan at all (though if I'm in Philly I'm going to enjoy a junky vegan cheesesteak as much as the next person). I've never used any plant based protein powders.

Are you sure a lack of protein is the cause of feeling hungry and losing weight, especially as you're eating an egg a day? Could it not be a reduction in calorific intake? Do you feel unable to train/benefit from training or carry out the level of physical activity you would like to? Personally I've never had trouble satisfying hunger on a vegan diet. In general, I think there's sometimes too much focus on proteins.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 08:04:15 am
Are you getting enough fat in your diet since switching to more plant based? This can be easy to omit from such diets, and fat leads to more satiety over a longer time period than carbs.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#4 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 09:10:10 am

Are you sure a lack of protein is the cause of feeling hungry and losing weight, especially as you're eating an egg a day? Could it not be a reduction in calorific intake?

Yes, eating food containing less available energy than is expended is the only possible way to loose weight. Conversion of energy is not an opinion, it is the law ;)

It is very common to loose weight when changing diet – any change really. This will sort it self out sooner rather than later. It is not particularly difficult to be overweight on a vegetarian diet as millions of Brahmins can attest.

If you are loosing weight bigironhorse it is probably a good idea to supplement some extra protein during this brief period of weight loss as there is strong evidence that surplus protein helps keeping most of the muscle mass. There are plenty of plant based protein powders complete in all amino acids out there.

Few plants contains all essential amino acids, but that is not a problem for people with a varied diet. If you are eating the same thing day in day out it can be a problem.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 02:43:34 pm
Eggs are a surprisingly crap form of protein - roughly about 5g per egg.

You would need to eat 10 eggs to get the same as a chicken breast (50g).

Probably the easiest (and cheapest) way to get a decent non-meat protein hit, is a pint of cow or soya milk with a (20 g) serving of whey protein which gives you  a total of 35/38g of protein.:

Pint of (cows) milk give you 18 g
Soya milk 15 g
Oat milk 5 g
Almond milk 2g

I think the general consensus, is that you should have a minimum of 1g of protein per kg of weight (up to 2g for an athlete). I think it is pretty challenging to achieve with a vegan diet.

Duma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 02:47:56 pm
Beans.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 02:58:35 pm
baked beans are around 5g of protein per 100g, so you need to eat a fair few of them.

An issue with this is that this would also account for a fair proportion of your daily calories. Beans and pulses are relatively nutritionally weak compared to colourful vegetables. Therefore, it may be better to consume a more concentrated form of protein and lots of vegetables to make up the calories.

cofe

• forum hero
#8 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:12:55 pm
I think the general consensus, is that you should have a minimum of 1g of protein per kg of weight (up to 2g for an athlete). 

I was reading about this the other day. This guy suggests 20g at a time, six times a day, and the common way of basing it on weight isn't right.

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:29:10 pm
Baked beans are not great in a lot of ways though. Protein wise most beans are better, and soya are loads better. Lentils and chickpeas are good too.
If you've just cut out dairy I'd speculate the hunger and weight loss (ie not enough calories) is likely more from reduction in fat than protein, so more nuts could be a good change?

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:32:38 pm
Are insects vegan? Guess not.

Anyways, in case anyone's interested they range from Caterpilliars at 28g of protein per 100g to the lowly weevil at 6.7 g.

I tried some fried caterpillars and crickets last week - it would be pretty hard work to eat 100g of them. It would be good for the tooth pick industry though.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#11 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:35:40 pm
baked beans are around 5g of protein per 100g, so you need to eat a fair few of them.

Baked beans are also packed full of sugar and salt, and so processed I hoover them up so fast I'm still hungry enough for a couple of cheese sandwiches afterwards

I usually have  bean salad for lunch. e.g. whole tin of cooked haricots drained (240g) , 80g each Spinach, and tomatoes, 40g sliced red onion and 40g radishes. This  works out at nearly 20g of protein and leaves me full enough to last til dinner without snacks.

I started adding a tablespoon of chopped nuts/seeds or nut butter to my morning porridge for a 5g protein boost.

The 2  squares (20g) of 85% dark chocolate I have after dinner is another 2.25g of protein

dunnyg

• forum hero
#12 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:37:39 pm
Beefcake caterpillars.  :weakbench: I knew they were a worthy enemy. What were caterpillars like to eat? Had some cricket tacos in the US, they were ok (bit spicy for me), I think eating loads would be an effort though.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:38:21 pm
I tried some fried caterpillars and crickets last week - it would be pretty hard work to eat 100g of them. It would be good for the tooth pick industry though.

:D have your first wad :D

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#14 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:40:02 pm
I reckon midges must be packed with protein, and it would be nice to actually put them to some good.

wasbeen

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 03:48:16 pm
Beefcake caterpillars.  :weakbench: What were caterpillars like to eat? Had some cricket tacos in the US, they were ok (bit spicy for me), I think eating loads would be an effort though.

They tasted pretty much the same - crunchy. It was at an open evening at my daughters school. Thought I would impress the crowd by shovelling in a handful of each. It didn't work. Hacked up a wing later in the evening that had got lodged in my throat.   

Ballsofcottonwool

• player

dunnyg

• forum hero
#17 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 04:05:00 pm
The residents of Lake Victoria already do

https://www.informationng.com/2015/07/fly-eating-residents-lake-victoria-makes-burger-flies.html

Any scottish UKBers  want to try this next spring? Ca't really imagine what they would taste of, or the texture. Can you imagine if they became popular enough, that we managed to endanger the highland midge? I could actually go to Scotland in the summer then.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 04:08:59 pm

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#19 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 04:14:59 pm
Lizards eat nothing but insects- look at how good at climbing they are. Seems to be stretching the defnition of plant based though. Is it as in "lives on a plant"?

Baked beans are the most dehydrating foodstuff in my experience- not sure why as they don't taste particularly salty.

wasbeen

• menacing presence

andy popp

• forum hero
#21 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 04:57:23 pm
We seem to have strayed somewhat from the OP.

Personally this has just left me craving a plate of beans on toast.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#22 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 05:00:12 pm
When I was a kid/teen, a school friend’s father worked in Zambia. My friend would spend the summer holidays down there and return each September with bags of dried Mopane worms (I think they’re a  caterpillar) and we’d gleefully chomp on them in front of class mates, who would gag at the thought and on occasion actually vomit (it was a Maths class, and boy did she let rip, just as the teacher walked in).
Anyway, they were actually pretty good, taste and texture-wise, it’s only the physical appearance that makes them hard to eat.
We also had an Aussie exchange teacher once, who brought in roast Witchetty grub for us to sample. I recall that being ok too.

Why don’t we eat insects?

petejh

• forum hero
#23 Re: Plant based protein
October 14, 2019, 10:54:09 pm
Because they look like insects?

T_B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Plant based protein
October 15, 2019, 02:32:30 pm
A guy in Sheffield makes/made energy bars made from Cricket powder and gave us a load to 'test'. It was pretty much unanimous that they tasted awful.

It looks as though he's sold the business, so presumably some people like em

https://www.yumpabar.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal