UKBouldering.com

Europe van trip help (Read 1898 times)

haydn jones

• forum hero
Europe van trip help
October 13, 2019, 06:59:35 am
Anyone got any recommendations for travel insurance for Europe to cover a 6 month trip in the van for me and my partner. We will be mostly bouldering but a bit of sport climbing too. (skiing too but only for a couple weeks so I'll buy a separate policy for that probably.)

We're planning on going to Albarracin and surroundings (I hear there's a very large destination that's now been developed just a few miles away from it that's equally good) in January & February.

Start of March we are skiing in the alps, then over to North Italy around Bolzano (friends live here) after this back to England (wedding)

Then not sure exactly where to go in April, May, June, any one got good Bouldering destination recommendations which will be in good condition and have lots from 7A to 8A+? Magic wood is definitely one location but not 3 months, and not psyched to drive to Norway

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Europe van trip help
October 13, 2019, 09:19:29 am
No idea, sorry. Might be worth mentioning that when I was in Albarracín a couple of years ago the Spanish told me they got fined for overnight parking near the crag. Apparently police turned  a blind eye to foreigners doing the same ‘because they brought money into the local economy’. I’d be tempted to ask the locals what likelihood of a fine is now, worth avoiding I should think.

Bradders

• forum hero
#2 Re: Europe van trip help
October 13, 2019, 09:42:10 am
Then not sure exactly where to go in April, May, June, any one got good Bouldering destination recommendations which will be in good condition and have lots from 7A to 8A+? Magic wood is definitely one location but not 3 months, and not psyched to drive to Norway

Sweden?

sdm

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Europe van trip help
October 13, 2019, 12:03:47 pm
You could combine Magic Wood with a load of other high altitude options: Chironico, Brione, Gotthardpass, Sustenpass, Cresciano, Val Di Mello, Silvretta. So you could adjust your destination for conditions/the weather. None of them will be perfect conditions by June but they are high enough that climbing hard is still possible.

Chironico would be better in April than June as there's more slopers than at Magic Wood and most of it isn't quite as high altitude. Discrete van camping is available at various car parks around Chironico and there are basic facilities (clean porter loos and water taps). Food in Switzerland is very pricey though, make sure you stock up before crossing the border!

I don't know what the van situation is at the others.

remus

• forum hero
#4 Re: Europe van trip help
October 13, 2019, 02:44:57 pm
No idea, sorry. Might be worth mentioning that when I was in Albarracín a couple of years ago the Spanish told me they got fined for overnight parking near the crag. Apparently police turned  a blind eye to foreigners doing the same ‘because they brought money into the local economy’. I’d be tempted to ask the locals what likelihood of a fine is now, worth avoiding I should think.

When I was there a couple of years ago you weren't allowed to stay in vans at the car park nearest the climbing (we got moved on by the po po, no fine though) but there is a big car park just down the road where you are allowed to stay.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal